Author Topic: The War on Vitamins Thomas Lifson  (Read 845 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The War on Vitamins Thomas Lifson
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:18:05 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/12/the_war_on_vitamins.html

December 27, 2013
The War on Vitamins
Thomas Lifson

Hundreds of millions of people around the world (including me) take daily doses of vitamins because we find that they help our energy, our immune system, our cognition, and other benefits we perceive. But for reasons about which I can only speculate, this angers others, who want to prevent us from doing so.

The European Union, whose nanny state tendencies are the world's most developed, has decided to ban many vitamin doses, and in the UK, which retains at least a bit of the traditions established in the Magna Carta, resistance has developed. Let's call it a liberty immune system response. The UK Daily Mail reports:

Hundreds of vitamins and food supplements taken by millions of people every day are to be banned under new EU rules.

The regulations will outlaw the sale of 250 vitamins and minerals in Britain, many of which are already banned in other EU countries.

High-dose pills of other substances will also be prohibited, forcing manufacturers to supply them in lower concentrations.

They include vitamin B6, often taken by women to counter stress and pre-menstrual tension, and vitamin C, said to help tackle colds.

The move has sparked fury among those who rely on over-the-counter products to boost their vitamin intake and cope with conditions such as arthritis and PMT.

And opposition peers have vowed to fight the planned restrictions when the regulations are put before the House of Lords today.

Conservative health spokesman Earl Howe accused the Government of caving in to EU demands at the expense of British consumers.

He said: "The right of consumers to exercise choice in buying health foods is to be curtailed drastically, all in the cause of European harmonisation."

Can the American nanny state advocates be far behind? I understand Mayor Bloomberg is going to be looking for new work quite soon. Perhaps he will want to interfere with my daily vitamin regimen.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: The War on Vitamins Thomas Lifson
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:31:37 pm »
Hence the recent spate of 'studies' showing no benefit in 'well-nourished adults'.  That's how the media slips in their big lie.

Makes me wonder what the agenda is?  Must be some money changing hands somewhere.  I know it isn't because they care about me.

Maybe they are just milking the supplements industry for some timely 'campaign contributions'.

What was the book along those lines that came out recently?

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:33:37 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 07:06:30 pm »

Makes me wonder what the agenda is?
That was my first thought.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 08:21:50 pm »
Hence the recent spate of 'studies' showing no benefit in 'well-nourished adults'.  That's how the media slips in their big lie.

Makes me wonder what the agenda is?  Must be some money changing hands somewhere.  I know it isn't because they care about me.

Maybe they are just milking the supplements industry for some timely 'campaign contributions'.

What was the book along those lines that came out recently?

The study everyone's in a tizzy over was commissioned by Phizer.  Remember vitamins are natural substance s and can't be patented as a result... it was Rockefeller and Carnagie who started pushing drugs on us via doctors when the had big financial interests in pharmaceutical companies...   nevertheless we do not eat balanced diets the soil our food is grown in is depleted of things like selenium...we drink bottled water with natural minerals removed, GMO food and much more.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:22:44 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 08:38:58 pm »
1.  multiple hundreds of billion dollar industry.  hmmm, where could that money better be used?

2.  watch "the road to wellville"

3.  Why can't I get oat bran flakes anymore?

4.  I can't get real sassafrass tea in stores anymore
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:05:22 pm »
Our life expectancy is several years more than just a couple of generation ago.

It is partly due to pharmaceutical products, like pills for high blood pressure, etc. And chemicals to treat cancer, to name just some significant benefits of MODERN medicine and drugs.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:48:20 pm »
Our life expectancy is several years more than just a couple of generation ago.

It is partly due to pharmaceutical products, like pills for high blood pressure, etc. And chemicals to treat cancer, to name just some significant benefits of MODERN medicine and drugs.

People didn't need blood pressure medication or cholesterol medication when they got off their butts 's actually preformed real work and ate food grown in a healthy manner... we've become a sick society dependent on drugs to mask what is being done to our bodies by obesity, a sedentary lifestyle, scrappy food choices and more.  We've made little progress with cancer and it seems to be even more common than ever to know someone with it or dying from it.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 11:04:10 pm »

Makes me wonder what the agenda is?

The agenda is that they don't want people living 2 decades after retirement.

The more people die....the more money they save.

We are being systematically replaced by illegal immigrants on the path to amnesty and citizenship.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 11:10:27 pm »

The agenda is that they don't want people living 2 decades after retirement.

The more people die....the more money they save.

Yeah, I have figured that the "Come here old man, let me give you a shot" scenario was in my future...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »
Yeah, I have figured that the "Come here old man, let me give you a shot" scenario was in my future...

I don't trust flu shots either.

LOL!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald