Author Topic: New ObamaCare fees coming in 2014  (Read 1018 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New ObamaCare fees coming in 2014
« on: December 26, 2013, 01:44:11 pm »
http://nypost.com/2013/12/25/new-obamacare-fees-coming-in-2014/

New ObamaCare fees coming in 2014

By S.A. Miller and Geoff Earle

December 25, 2013 | 5:45am

WASHINGTON — Here comes the ObamaCare tax bill.

The cost of President Obama’s massive health-care law will hit Americans in 2014 as new taxes pile up on their insurance premiums and on their income-tax bills.

Most insurers aren’t advertising the ObamaCare taxes that are added on to premiums, opting instead to discretely pass them on to customers while quietly lobbying lawmakers for a break.

But one insurance company, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, laid bare the taxes on its bills with a separate line item for “Affordable Care Act Fees and Taxes.”

The new taxes on one customer’s bill added up to $23.14 a month, or $277.68 annually, according to Kaiser Health News. It boosted the monthly premium from $322.26 to $345.40 for that individual.

The new taxes and fees include a 2 percent levy on every health plan, which is expected to net about $8 billion for the government in 2014 and increase to $14.3 billion in 2018.

There’s also a $2 fee per policy that goes into a new medical-research trust fund called the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute.

Insurers pay a 3.5 percent user fee to sell medical plans on the HealthCare.gov Web site.

ObamaCare supporters argue that federal subsidies for many low-income Americans will not only cover the taxes, but pay a big chunk of the premiums.

But ObamaCare taxes don’t stop with health-plan premiums.

Americans also will pay hidden taxes, such as the 2.3 percent medical-device tax that will inflate the cost of items such as pacemakers, stents and prosthetic limbs.

Those with high out-of-pocket medical expenses also will get smaller income-tax deductions.

Americans are currently allowed to deduct expenses that exceed 7.5 percent of their annual income. The threshold jumps to 10 percent under ObamaCare, costing taxpayers about $15 billion over 10 years.

Then there’s the new Medicare tax.

Under ObamaCare, individual tax filers earning more than $200,000 and families earning more than $250,000 will pay an added 0.9 percent Medicare surtax on top of the existing 1.45 percent Medicare payroll tax. They’ll also pay an extra 3.8 percent Medicare tax on unearned income, such as investment dividends, rental income and capital gains.

Meanwhile, the Obama administration touted a surge of more than 2 million visitors Monday at HealthCare.gov, plus about 250,000 calls to ObamaCare call centers.

“Volumes remain high but not equal to [Monday] and we have not had to deploy our queuing system on the site,” said Julie Bataille, a spokeswoman for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, referring to a virtual waiting room that is activated when the site is overloaded.

“We are taking thousands of calls at our call centers, which remain open until midnight, and we are seeing thousands of visitors complete enrollment online,” she said.

It wasn’t smooth sailing for everyone on the troubled site.

Software techie Jeff Karaaro tweeted in frustration: “Got three different codes trying to submit plan choices. No [one] can tell me what they mean. I nor call center can complete my application due to error.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: New ObamaCare fees coming in 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:50:33 pm »
We're waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop regarding how much our insurance premiums will rise. Still trying to get in as much doctorin' before Dec. 31 as is possible!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:59:02 pm »
2014 is going to be a delightful year for Republicans and conservatives as we stand and watch the cars continue to crash into the train wreck that is Obamacare.  Higher premiums, higher deductibles, and increased taxes on EVERYBODY. 

A new surprise every day for Democrats, a new campaign ad every day for Republicans, and more deer-in-the-headlight looks from Obammy and his hapless crew.

Lovin' it!!!!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 02:43:44 pm »
I guess we had to reach this point. Real pain on real people. Let's dance.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 04:09:24 pm »
It seems the republicans in the District of Corruption are not happy the train wreck is happening.  I don't hear any of them taking advantage of the debacle and leading an ObamaCare bugle countercharge into the 2014 elections.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 04:22:01 pm »
2014 is going to be a delightful year for Republicans and conservatives as we stand and watch the cars continue to crash into the train wreck that is Obamacare.  Higher premiums, higher deductibles, and increased taxes on EVERYBODY. 

A new surprise every day for Democrats, a new campaign ad every day for Republicans, and more deer-in-the-headlight looks from Obammy and his hapless crew.

Lovin' it!!!!

Great opporunities, but with the Charlie Brown GOP be able to take advantage of them?  That's the big fear.  I shudder to think what John "Obamacare is settled law" McCain is going to do.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 09:25:29 pm »
Frankly I don't find anything to love in this mess.  I don't like dancing on graves.. especially the grave of our country and anyone who does needs to wake up.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 09:31:35 pm »
Frankly I don't find anything to love in this mess.  I don't like dancing on graves.. especially the grave of our country and anyone who does needs to wake up.

I'm not into hyperbole, Rap.  Our country is not in the "grave" nor anywhere close to it.

The bigger the mess, the more opportunity the GOP has to clean it up with significant concessions from a desperate Obammy. 

There is one thing that is being buried with the Obamacare fiasco, and that is any more massive government projects in our lifetime.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 10:00:04 pm »
and to return to the post I originally replied to:

Lovin' it!!!!

over six million people who had insurance have lost their insurance  and more are set to lose it.  The entire country is not Texas with a booming economy, more people are out of work or working part time thanks to Obamacare, more on foodstamps and other forms of public assistance.  --- do you think they all voted for Obama?  Do they all deserve to suffer???  What exactly is there to LOVE!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 10:02:43 pm »
I'm not into hyperbole, Rap.  Our country is not in the "grave" nor anywhere close to it.

The bigger the mess, the more opportunity the GOP has to clean it up with significant concessions from a desperate Obammy. 

There is one thing that is being buried with the Obamacare fiasco, and that is any more massive government projects in our lifetime.

Obama will never concede anything. Never. He doesn't have to, because thanks to the laughingstock shell of a national political party across the aisle, he's answerable to no one.

Don't like part of a law? Just issue an Executive Order and "poof": it goes away. Bye bye, bad law! The Constitution? Who gives a rat's ass what that dusty old document says? I'm the President and I do what I want. Or else maybe you'd like the NSA or the IRS to have a nice, friendly little "chat" with you. And they will. Would you like the audit or the drone? Personally, I've been audited, and I'll take the drone for 1000, Alex.  The pain would only be momentary.

This is what we're dealing with: lawlessness, recklessness and arrogance on a monumental scale.

And the GOP does what? Mumblegrumblegrouse. Then: silence. Crickets chirping. Never mention it again.

Because the news media make them wet their pants, and their careers are just too big to fail.

The GOP leadership won't "clean up" ObamaCare, because they don't want to. See: they want to take it over and run it themselves. Crazy, I know. But you have to remember that whatever happens in Washington, stays in Washington.

Just like the Tennessee Valley Authority or the Rural Electrification Administration: the need is gone, but the spending lingers on.

Forever.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn