Author Topic: Sandy Hook Elementary Now Levelled  (Read 1130 times)

Offline flowers

Sandy Hook Elementary Now Levelled
« on: December 25, 2013, 09:29:08 pm »
http://memoryholeblog.com/2013/12/24/sandy-hook-elementary-now-levelled/comment-page-1/

The photograph below, likely taken in mid-December, shows the remains of the Sandy Hook Elementary School crime scene, where all evidence has now been destroyed. The demolition of the 57 year old structure commenced in October, shortly after a $50 million appropriation made by Connecticut Governor Dannell Malloy to rebuild the school and a $2.5 million payout by President Obama’s Department of Justice to local and regional law enforcement agencies participating in the December 14, 2012 event.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Sandy Hook Elementary Now Levelled
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 12:24:53 am »
That's a lot of taxpayer money now being spent unnecessarily.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 03:01:34 pm »

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 03:10:03 pm »

I thought the same. A good paint job and a little remodeling would have disguised some of the horror that went on there. Nothing will erase it from their minds. We don't do that to our homes and other buildings when a disaster happens. I think the children are more in control than the parents or whoever was behind tearing down a relatively new building and replacing it with money I doubt the people have.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 03:13:02 pm »
Using this logic, I think we should raze the Whitehouse in 2016.

Just sayin'. 

:whistle:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 03:17:04 pm »
Indeed, Alice!!  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 03:25:35 pm »

Just sayin'. 

Had that thought too.  ^-^

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »

I think if you ask the taxpayers who are actually paying for this, you might find a majority of them support tearing the site of such an atrocity down, and starting over.  There is no way to ever erase what happened in that building, and had it remained it would have been a monument to a colossal atrocity and not the victims of it. 

Try and think past just the cost, and attempt to visualize the value...

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 03:55:44 pm »
I think if you ask the taxpayers who are actually paying for this, you might find a majority of them support tearing the site of such an atrocity down, and starting over.  There is no way to ever erase what happened in that building, and had it remained it would have been a monument to a colossal atrocity and not the victims of it. 

I don't think the tax payers in that district are the ones picking up the majority of the bill though.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 04:11:03 pm »

Agreed. Plus it stops the ghouls. You know, the idiots who sightsee places where atrocities happened. The Yorkshire Ripper's home was completely demolished for that exact reason. What is going on in the heads of these people?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »

Just sayin'. 

The British would be grinning from ear to ear:  the Americans finishing off what they started in 1812!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 02:15:23 am »
The razing of the building is cathartic -- it also serves to help erase the memories associated with the building that once stood there.

The Amish realized this right away -- and that's why they prompty tore down the one-room school in Pennsylvania after the lunatic there barged in and shot several kids.

Of course, the school at Sandy Hook was somewhat larger (but not the size of today's "megaschools", not even close).

To me, what happened there last year was more than 26 ghastly murders. In the aftermath, the legacy of "Sandy Hook" changed into as strong an attempt to destroy our Constitutional rights as was the NSA's spying that has been brought to light by Edward Snowden.

For many of my 32 years on the job, I used to drive through Sandy Hook each night on the way home from work -- come down to the traffic light (near the school) and take a left, and then get on 84 and head home.

But I haven't gone there since the shooting. On my rides, I'd find a way around having to go into Netown. If the school had remained standing, I probably would never have visited Newtown center and Sandy Hook again. Something evil happened there, and that school was the symbol -- of an attack not only on twenty children and their teachers, but upon our very rights.

The townsfolk have done the right thing by tearing that building down. I don't think they should even build another school there -- there's land in the town, build it somewhere else nearby.

Now that it's gone, maybe I'll take a ride into town again, next year....
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:17:16 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 02:24:49 am »
I don't think the tax payers in that district are the ones picking up the majority of the bill though.

Come on!  School districts all over the country are funded by local property taxes and state taxes.  Some Federal money is involved certainly, but the funding decisions are made by local elected school boards that are primarily funded locally.

Offline happyg

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 04:03:05 am »
Come on!  School districts all over the country are funded by local property taxes and state taxes.  Some Federal money is involved certainly, but the funding decisions are made by local elected school boards that are primarily funded locally.

Columbine chose to remodel their school, which cost $1.5 million. They chose to turn the library into a memorial, and rebuild the library.

http://www.businessinsider.com/connecticut-is-paying-millions-to-demolish-sandy-hook-2013-10

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 02:12:02 pm »

I work for a mechanical contractor and we build schools for a living.  $50 mil is enough to build a 5 or 6A high school.  There is no way in hell the local tax base can cover this for an elementary.

Offline happyg

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 02:59:25 pm »
I work for a mechanical contractor and we build schools for a living.  $50 mil is enough to build a 5 or 6A high school.  There is no way in hell the local tax base can cover this for an elementary.

The link I posted states the state is paying for the new school. 
The residents of Newtown, Conn. have voted to tear down Sandy Hook Elementary School and build a new school in its place, a move that will cost the state about $49 million, according to The Newtown Bee.

A rare Saturday referendum drew a higher than average number of voters to the polls at Newtown Middle School handily passing a referendum by about a 90 percent margin, and authorizing the town to move forward with the state-funded demolition and the rebuilding of Sandy Hook School.

http://newtownbee.com/news/news/2013/10/05/sandy-hook-school-referendum-passes-wide-margin/166895

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »
We had an elementary school burn to the ground last February.  The cost of replacement of the school, temporary relocation of the entire school of 500 students, and most other expenses were covered by Insurance and money from the State's emergency fund.  Local people coughed up cash to replace all of the materials that went up in smoke.  The new building is under construction now and will be ready by next September.  To my knowledge no Federal tax money was used, and the entire cost and project is 100% under the supervision of the local elected school board.

And immediately after the fire, the student body missed exactly 3 days of school before temporary facilities all over the District could be identified.  The District worked to find a large warehouse space locally, leased it, and converted it into temporary classrooms for this school year, so the student body has been reunited in their temporary digs, until they can move into the new building in the Fall.  At some point the local school taxes will go up because of this but to date it has not been necessary.  There was money in the budget to operate that school before it burned to the ground and judicial use of those and other funds have kept things rolling smoothly.  Our District gets big kudos locally for handling this situation so smoothly, and local outpouring of money has been enough to keep the classes running.

To my knowledge, the only Federal involvement to date has been with the FBI and BATFE in the ongoing investigation of the fire, which is still not complete.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 06:00:53 pm »
Chief, that's your neck of the woods and not some place that will become a monument to those that wish to revoke the 2nd Amendment.  As happy noted, it's state funding, plus the couple of mil Obama kicked in.  Of course almost everyone there voted for it, they're NOT paying for it!