Author Topic: Dear ‘Duck Dynasty’ Fans: You Do Know It’s All Fake, Right?  (Read 860 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://variety.com/2013/tv/columns/dear-duck-dynasty-fans-you-do-know-its-all-fake-right-1200980709/

December 20, 2013 | 10:24AM PT
Like other sitcoms, the Robertsons we see on TV are shaped and edited characters

Brian Lowry
TV Columnist

Amid the turmoil caused by the suspension of “Duck Dynasty’s” Phil Robertson in relation to an interview he gave with GQ, an outpouring of support has emerged from those defending the bearded A&E star.

Which only prompts one to wonder whether these people really know whom exactly it is they’re defending.

However real and natural it might appear, “Duck Dynasty” is a sitcom. Not all the dialogue is written, but as even the Robertsons freely admitted on the “Today” show, “They come up with ideas and we just get to be ourselves in the situation.”

So while Robertson can be taken at his word that he’s a man of faith, the character that people know from TV is just that: A character.

Other websites, some with way too much time on their hands, have meticulously detailed the staging that goes into the show. But suffice it to say that the Robertsons have thrived in part because they and their producers have been adept at making themselves seem authentic. As one reality TV producer suggested when discussing the show, even if the situations are all phony, you couldn’t create those guys.

Still, the full-throated defense on behalf of the Robertsons primarily reflects two things: The very effective tactic of making Christians feel like they are disrespected and persecuted by the mainstream media; and most germane to this discussion, the sorry lack of media literacy in the U.S., where people might insist they’re in on the gag, but if they’re seeing something on TV, they tend to assume it’s true.

At this point, the “Duck Dynasty” story has taken on a life of its own, propelled by the political aspects of the standoff – pitting anti-gay-rights conservatives against “liberal Hollywood” – and the good (or bad) fortune of happening right before Christmas, when everyone’s starved for something to talk and write about.

Yet while many of those who watch “Duck Dynasty” no doubt feel like they know the Robertsons, these characters are shaped – through editing and writing – in virtually the same way “The Big Bang Theory” or “Modern Family” is. So the guy you see, as colorful as he is, isn’t necessarily the real-life version.

And guess what? There’s no Tooth Fairy, either.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Dear ‘Duck Dynasty’ Fans: You Do Know It’s All Fake, Right?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 06:15:36 pm »
Well, duh. All TV is like that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 10:18:32 pm »
I guess Variety had to explain this for the liberals, since DD followers already know what's going on, and they like it. Or did Variety just figure this out? Either way, what a stupid article.

Online rustynail

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:47:24 pm »
I smell fear.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:54:21 pm »
Which is fake?

The program? Or the assault on a Christian man stating his beliefs in a reasonable way.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 12:33:02 am »
I guess Variety had to explain this for the liberals, since DD followers already know what's going on, and they like it. Or did Variety just figure this out? Either way, what a stupid article.
Agreed. I've never watched DD, but don't watch any so-called reality TV. Still, who doesn't know that when you stick a camera in someone's face, he or she is going to behave differently than in the privacy of home?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 12:35:08 am »
Yet while many of those who watch “Duck Dynasty” no doubt feel like they know the Robertsons, these characters are shaped – through editing and writing – in virtually the same way “The Big Bang Theory” or “Modern Family” is. So the guy you see, as colorful as he is, isn’t necessarily the real-life version.

And this is relevant because ...?  Let me answer:  it's not relevant whatsoever to the issue at hand:  whether GLAAD is trying to instigate a new witch hunt.

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 12:52:11 am »

Liberals always think that they are the first ones to figure anything out.

After all, nobody can possibly be more intelligent or better informed than a liberal...

/s

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 12:58:20 am »
Agreed. I've never watched DD, but don't watch any so-called reality TV. Still, who doesn't know that when you stick a camera in someone's face, he or she is going to behave differently than in the privacy of home?

I have watched it several times and  like the concept. It's a good, clean show no matter whether it's scripted or adlibbed. I think a lot of the problem is that democrats are afraid they will lose hold of some of the base, who is getting tired of political correct politics.