Author Topic: M&S faces boycott as it lets Muslim staff refuse to sell alcohol or pork  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

So long as none of these people says "Merry Christmas", I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Furious M&S customers threatened to boycott the store last night for allowing Muslim checkout staff to refuse to serve customers who want to pay for alcohol or pork.

Managers at a London store told the workers they could ask any shoppers trying to buy the items to wait until a different till was available, it emerged yesterday.

One shopper said: 'I had one bottle of champagne, and the lady, who was wearing a headscarf, was very apologetic but said she could not serve me. She told me to wait until another member of staff was available.

'I was taken aback. I've never come across that before.'

Last night, Marks & Spencer said the advice had been given in error and was not consistent with its national policy.

But customers bombarded the store's Facebook page to complain, while another site was set up calling on shoppers to boycott M&S.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2527820/Marks-Spencer-tells-Muslim-staff-CAN-refuse-serve-customers-buying-alcohol-pork.html

Perhaps EC can give us greater information on this as he shops at M&S every day I am sure. Meanwhile keep your filthy seeing eye dog out of my cab lest I be polluted.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: M&S faces boycott as it lets Muslim staff refuse to sell alcohol or pork
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 09:57:35 pm »
 :tongue2:

Nah, we never shop there. Costs too much, the produce is terrible and the meat is revolting. The clothing is over priced for what you get and is pretty shoddy. They do have a reasonable line of ready meals, but who eats that crap? We'd rather pay less and cook than pay a premium to eat preservatives.

About the only reason to nip into an M&S is they usually have good coffee in the cafe and clean toilets.

It's another storm in a tea cup. A cashier tried the same thing in our local Co-op two years back. She was fired on the spot. If you take a job, get paid for the job, you do the job. All of it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 12:05:17 am »

Nah, we never shop there. Costs too much, the produce is terrible and the meat is revolting. The clothing is over priced for what you get and is pretty shoddy. They do have a reasonable line of ready meals, but who eats that crap? We'd rather pay less and cook than pay a premium to eat preservatives.

About the only reason to nip into an M&S is they usually have good coffee in the cafe and clean toilets.

It's another storm in a tea cup. A cashier tried the same thing in our local Co-op two years back. She was fired on the spot. If you take a job, get paid for the job, you do the job. All of it.

Clean toilets are a major selling point in urban settings.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 12:25:41 am »
Clean toilets are a major selling point in urban settings.

I stick to McDonalds or nip into a pub. The toilets are cleaner and the prices much less of a rip off.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 12:36:26 am »
I stick to McDonalds or nip into a pub. The toilets are cleaner and the prices much less of a rip off.

Gotta go to where you gotta go, eh?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 12:50:40 am »
Gotta go to where you gotta go, eh?

Of course!

I do prefer McD's if possible. Got a 1 year old and they always have a separate disabled/baby changing toilet. Makes life easier and they do keep the changing room both spotlessly clean and warm, at least the 5 I use semi regularly. Buying a cheeseburger afterwards and sharing it is a small price to pay!  :laugh:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
Of course!

I do prefer McD's if possible. Got a 1 year old and they always have a separate disabled/baby changing toilet. Makes life easier and they do keep the changing room both spotlessly clean and warm, at least the 5 I use semi regularly. Buying a cheeseburger afterwards and sharing it is a small price to pay!  :laugh:

On a tangent, everybody knows Harrod's, but there is another department store in England that was founded by an American.  Can you refresh my memory?  I watched a documentary regarding but can't remember the name.  Thanks.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 03:06:04 pm »
Of course!

You feed your one year old cheeseburgers from McDonalds?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 03:40:28 pm »
On a tangent, everybody knows Harrod's, but there is another department store in England that was founded by an American.  Can you refresh my memory?  I watched a documentary regarding but can't remember the name.  Thanks.

That's be Selfridges, founded 1909 by Harry Gordon Selfridge.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »
You feed your one year old cheeseburgers from McDonalds?

Lord no! She'll nibble on a bit of the patty and bun, I eat the rest. The little minx will eat anything, as long as she gets to steal it from my plate.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 03:50:13 pm »
Lord no! She'll nibble on a bit of the patty and bun, I eat the rest. The little minx will eat anything, as long as she gets to steal it from my plate.

Couldn't resist that one.  :laugh:

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 04:01:53 pm »
Brits should refuse to sell all animals, mainly goats and camels of course, to muslimes using the excuse of their animal cruelty -which is legitimate.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 04:03:43 pm »
Couldn't resist that one.  :laugh:

Should have seen the look on her face the first time she tried that with a curry. I do like hot curries  :laugh: