Author Topic: A&E has a funny way of showing their displeasure with Grandpa Phil  (Read 776 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.americanthinker.com/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/12/ae_has_a_funny_way_of_showing_their_displeasure_with_grandpa_phil.html

December 24, 2013
A&E has a funny way of showing their displeasure with Grandpa Phil
Silvio Canto, Jr.

Maybe I'm cynical but is this "Grandpa Phil" controversy part of a plot to introduce millions to the "Ducks"?

This is what A&E is doing for Christmas:

"A&E may have given "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson the heave-ho when they suspended him from future episodes of the show last week, but the network is still welcoming him home for holidays.

The channel is celebrating Christmas with a staggering 25 consecutive episodes of their No. 1 show, beginning at 3:30 p.m. on Christmas Day and running until the wee hours of Dec. 26. 

According to the schedule on A&E's website, the Robertsons will take over the channel until 4 a.m., and then paid programming -meaning infomercials-will kick in."

That's a lot of "duck" for a network that finds Grandpa Phil's remarks so difficult. Are they planning to delete "Grandpa" from their show this weekend?

We hear that A&E took this "principled" decision because their "gay" staff was offended by the remarks.

So they give us "Duck 24/7"? I guess that the "gays" at A&E have learned that "profit" means a lot more to their employer than shielding them from Louisiana "duck wood values"!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Re: A&E has a funny way of showing their displeasure with Grandpa Phil
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »
It looks like A&E is worried about the show leaving, and is making as much money as it can while DD is still so popular.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:00:32 pm »
Most likely that line-up was already finalized in the schedule.  If A&E pulled them now, they'd be extremely hard-pressed to find enough material to fill those time slots, particularly material that would draw their viewers, and would satisfy their advertisers.  Most likely, if A&E pulled this line-up they'd still have to pay Gurney Productions (the entity that employs Robertson, produces the show, and sells it to A&E - almost certainly retaining a cut of the intellectual property rights), and would probably have to pay penalties to their advertisers who would have purchased air time based on the show being run.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 08:10:19 pm »
I think this whole kerfluffle has A&E scared shiite-less because they never saw the backlash coming.  They are in major damage control mode over this and they will be lucky if they can walk any of this back.  Hard to un-ring a bell....

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 08:34:49 pm »
I think this whole kerfluffle has A&E scared shiite-less because they never saw the backlash coming.  They are in major damage control mode over this and they will be lucky if they can walk any of this back.  Hard to un-ring a bell....
Yeah, I think A&E in their haste, failed to think through the likely audience loss.

Life was much more enjoyable, when such matters were not the subject of daily debate. Johnny Mathis could sing, and Rock Hudson could act.

Entertainment was for----for entertainment, and enjoyment. NOT for politics, or for religious battles.

Phil did NOT volunteer his answer, unsolicited. The question got asked, because we are no longer able to JUSY be entertained. We must be drawn into political and religious controversy.

The blame can be spread all around. It is what our society has become. We react to the drama.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 09:50:03 pm »

They're concerned about the immediate loss no doubt, but probably not so much the long-range impact.

Duck Dynasty is a faux reality show and as such, it is a show that will (like all other such shows) run its gamut and fade away on its own. E&E Network pre-existed the show and its programming wasn't particularly considered conservative in nature, so while DD probably succeeded in bringing a new demographic to the network, that new demographic probably came there strictly to watch that show with little bleed over to the rest of the programming. Their leaving will (IMHO) simply bring the show back down to revenues and market share prior to the inception of DD.

Meanwhile, Disney stock (A&E's parent company) has risen strongly in the aftermath of Robertson's dismissal.

I think that while backlash has been vocal, the weight of it may not be as significant as we believe that it is.

Insofar as running the scheduled shows.

It's business.   
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx