Author Topic: Why is the US part of international medical coding which includes legal execution?  (Read 434 times)

Online rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati

To the author:

Then stay in America, F off, shut up and get out of the way of people trying to actually do some damned good in this world with brass buttons and good wishes. You can sit on your ass and whine - the adults in the room are working to fix things.
The international code is exactly that. An agreed code to describe things between wildly diverse medical staff who frequently don't share a language. The US is part of a code that includes "legal execution" because it is a country where legal executions are carried out. Not rocket science here - you do something that has a code, the code bloody well applies.

Now shut it. I get so frigging tired of people complaining about the WHO.

Play nice.  There are other reasons to see the WHO has less than cuddly; however, in this case I believe the original author simply misunderstood what a medical coding system is and what it's used for.

As I'm sure you well know (I'm simply expatiating for everyone else), every doctor's diagnoses can be very idiosyncratic, which means that if a particular diagnosis is simply passed to another doctor, possibly one who speaks another language) as it was originally written by the examining doctor, the odds of that diagnosis being misread, and thus of the patient being seriously harmed, are very high.  That's where medical coding comes in.  A "medical code" is, in very summary form, a way of transcribing a doctor's diagnosis into a commonly understood set of terms, or codes, so that another doctor reading the coded diagnosis will understand the diagnosis, thereby reducing the chance that the other doctor will do something by mistake that harms the patient.  There's a much more thorough discussion of the subject here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_coding

That's all it really is:  an easy-to-speak, easy-to-understand, "language" that isn't tied to any particular spoken language.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yeah - sorry about that. Posting in a bad mood is rarely advisable.

My bad.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati

My bad.

No worries.  :beer:

Online rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor

My bad.

What's that old saying?  Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret? :seeya:
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
What's that old saying?  Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret? :seeya:

I like that!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Love it.  :laugh:

At least I know I am a conservative - I admit it when I is wrong  :tongue2:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf