Author Topic: Obama hopes for trouble-free Hawaii vacation  (Read 841 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama hopes for trouble-free Hawaii vacation
« on: December 22, 2013, 11:17:58 pm »
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2013/1222/Obama-hopes-for-trouble-free-Hawaii-vacation

Obama hopes for trouble-free Hawaii vacation

The President arrived Friday for two weeks in Hawaii with his family.

By Josh Lederman, Associated Press / December 22, 2013

An ocean away from Washington worries, President Barack Obama opened his annual Hawaii vacation Saturday on a quiet note — and hoped it would stay that way for the next two weeks.

Every year, Obama and his family prepare to return to his birth state here on the sun-scorched shores of Oahu. And every year — until now — congressional squabbling has forced the Obamas to delay their trip.

This year, Obama was cleared for an on-time departure by Congress, which defied pessimistic expectations last week by passing a bipartisan budget deal, all but ensuring the government won't shut down over the next two years. It was a far cry from presaging a new era of cooperation, to be sure, but a silver lining for Obama a day earlier as he acknowledged a year of frustrating "ups and downs" in an end-of-year news conference.

The president, first lady Michelle Obama, daughters Sasha and Malia, and first dogs Sunny and Bo hopped an overnight flight Friday aboard Air Force One to Honolulu, where they were whisked by motorcade to a beachside home in Kailua, a sleepy suburb with a five-mile stretch of beach popular among windsurfers and tourists.

The next morning Obama, typically an early riser, got a late start, staying at the home until early afternoon, when he headed to the golf course at a nearby Marine Corps base. Joining Obama for the round of golf were Sam Kass, the White House chef; Marvin Nicholson, Obama's trip director; and presidential friend Bobby Titcomb, the White House said.

Obama, in white golf shirt, hat and sunglasses, was all smiles as he drove past reporters accompanying him to the coastal golf course.

The president has no public events scheduled during his vacation, which is expected to last through Jan. 5. In previous years, frequent golf outings have accompanied trips to local restaurants and other island outings.

A few weeks of low-key rest and relaxation would be a welcome change of pace for Obama, who reflected on a high-stakes year of brinkmanship and health care woes as he packed his bags for Hawaii.

"The end of the year is always a good time to reflect and see what can you do better next year," Obama said Friday. "I'm sure that I will have even better ideas after a couple days of sleep and sun."

Last year, Obama had to temporarily abandon his vacation to fly home amid a congressional standoff over the so-called fiscal cliff. The year before, a showdown over payroll tax cuts forced him to delay the start of his Hawaii hiatus. In 2010, it was congressional wrangling over repeal of the ban on gays in the military and other issues that delayed the trip. And in 2009, Senate deliberations over Obama's signature health care law meant that Honolulu had to wait another few days.

Conditions seem ripe this year for a few weeks of interrupted family time. Obama did spend part of Saturday morning conferring with top national security aides about the situation in South Sudan, where U.S. military aircraft evacuating Americans from the violence-plagued African nation came under gunfire and had to divert to Uganda. The White House said four U.S. troops were injured in that incident.

Throughout his vacation Obama will continue to get regular briefings from advisers traveling with him, White House officials said. Obama and his supporters were hoping those routine updates wouldn't interfere with regular rounds of golf and family outings for shave ice, the Hawaii version of a snow cone.

"I don't want any interruptions. He deserves a vacation," Brian Pritchett, an assistant principal visiting from Mount Vernon, N.Y., said as he sipped a rum-infused drink dubbed the "Obama Mama" at a Honolulu hotel. "He puts in too many hours to not have his vacation with his family. I know that's what I would do."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Obama hopes for trouble-free Hawaii vacation
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:18:19 pm »
"I don't want any interruptions. He deserves a vacation," Brian Pritchett, an assistant principal visiting from Mount Vernon, N.Y., said as he sipped a rum-infused drink dubbed the "Obama Mama" at a Honolulu hotel. "He puts in too many hours to not have his vacation with his family. I know that's what I would do."

WOW
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:43:14 am »

WOW

Double WOW! That man is pure laziness! He's lucky to put in 15 hours per week.

Offline collins

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:07:31 am »
Boo-hoo, he wants an uninterrupted vacation while he destroys the country. I thought the nitwit said in 2008 that he was going back to Chicago for Christmas every year, but he squats in Hawaii instead. Too bad he can't stay there, like forever.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:21:57 pm »
Obama, typically an early riser
It's well documented that he doesn't attend any event, briefing or meeting before 10:30 a.m. How much more sycophantic could this reporting be?

Obama did spend part of Saturday morning conferring with top national security aides about the situation in South Sudan
Okay, there's about a minute and a half accounted for ...

And now for the really important stuff:
HONOLULU (AP) -- President Barack Obama and the vacationing first family momentarily skipped the beach in Hawaii on Sunday to take in a college basketball game.

Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia attended the Oregon State-Akron game Sunday at the Diamond Head Classic tournament in Honolulu.

Oregon State is coached by Michelle Obama's brother, Craig Robinson. The Obamas sat just behind the Oregon State bench, with the president sitting in between his wife and friend Bobby Titcomb.

The Obamas drew a standing ovation and loud cheers as they walked in to the small arena at the University of Hawaii. Fans took pictures while press photographers and videographers crowded an entrance to take pictures. Throughout the game, some fans ignored the action on the floor and watched the president instead.

Obama high-fived fans as he walked off the floor at halftime and the end of the game.

Obama is a noted basketball fan and recreational player. Oregon State was 4-0 with Obama in attendance until Sunday. Akron raced to a 10-0 lead and beat the Beavers 83-71.

The arena beefed up security because of the president, screening players and cheerleaders and their belongings with metal detectors in the hours before the tournament tipped off.
You remember Bobby Titcomb, BHO's golfing pal. He was arrested a while ago for soliciting a male prostitute.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
NYT
December 23, 2013, 6:27 am
Obamas Go Out on the Town in Hawaii
By ASHLEY PARKER

HONOLULU — When President Obama left Washington on Friday, he said he was eager to soak up the sun and relax during his 17-day vacation in Hawaii. But on Sunday, the president — accompanied by his wife, Michelle, and his daughters, Sasha and Malia — hit the town, venturing out twice from their private vacation retreat on the windward side of Oahu.

First, the Obamas headed to the University of Hawaii, where the Oregon State Beavers were taking on the Akron Zips as part of Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic basketball tournament. Mrs. Obama’s brother, Craig Robinson, is the head coach at Oregon State, and the Obamas cheered on his team.

But the First Family did not bring any basketball magic; the Beavers, who never held the lead, lost, 83-71.

That, however, did not prevent the Obamas from enjoying the game from their courtside seats just behind the Oregon State bench. Mr. Obama, who was greeted with cheers when he entered the arena, high-fived fans during half-time, and was joined by his in-laws — Marian Robinson, Mrs. Obama’s mother and the “First Grandmother,” who lives in the White House with the family; and Mr. Robinson’s wife and children.

Also in attendance was Josh Earnest, a White House spokesman; Sam Kass, the White House chef; and Robert Titcomb, a childhood friend of the president’s who in 2011 pleaded guilty to soliciting a prostitute.

At one point, a man and a woman entered the arena to protest the Keystone pipeline, the man dressed in a polar bear suit. (“Beavers Hate Pipelines,” read their sign). The pair danced to the music during a second-half time-out, though it was unclear whether Mr. Obama noticed them.

Later in the day, the First Family headed out again, this time to dinner at Morimoto Waikiki, an upscale restaurant from Masaharu Morimoto, the star of “Iron Chef” and “Iron Chef America.”

No word on what the Obamas ordered, though the restaurant boasts a $140-per-person “omakase” chef’s choice tasting menu.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 03:03:58 pm »
The NYT's grovelling at Obastard's feet is just sickening.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 03:31:39 pm »
I agree, relax and enjoy yourself Mr. President. In fact let me suggest you take a little calming cruise around the Islands.

Here is a nice little cabin cruiser that you will just love

S.S. Minnow
Leaving Honolulu Harbor each morning at 9:00 AM
3-Hour Tour of the beautiful Hawaiian waters

Oh! and let me suggest the health benefits of drinking a glass of coconut milk with breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then again before bed.   The stories of it being a highly effective laxative are all lies put out there by the makers of orange Juice. So drink up. 

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:17:53 am »
[[ "I don't want any interruptions. He deserves a vacation," Brian Pritchett, an assistant principal visiting from Mount Vernon, N.Y., said as he sipped a rum-infused drink dubbed the "Obama Mama" at a Honolulu hotel. "He puts in too many hours to not have his vacation with his family. I know that's what I would do." ]]

Well, in that case, let's EXTEND his vacation.

Let him stay there until January 20, 2016.

Uninterrupted.

He ought to be rested enough by then.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 01:50:53 pm »
I agree, Fishrrman, and you can be sure Barry will love having nothing to do for the next 2-1/2 years but hang out with his boyfriends and play golf.