Author Topic: Denying communion to Pelosi and Kerry OKed by Vatican Chief Justice  (Read 729 times)

rangerrebew

Denying Communion To Pelosi & Kerry Ok’d By Vatican Chief Justice

Posted By Dave Jolly on Dec 20, 2013

One of the saddest trends I’ve seen in religion of late is how much people expect the Church to lower its standards to meet those of a degrading society.  The Bible clearly teaches that homosexuality is wrong, but because gays have been whining and crying the loudest, they are getting their way.  Instead of standing up for biblical principles, church after church has given way to compromise by not only accepting homosexuals, but ordaining them.

Likewise, churches are being pressured by liberals to support abortion.  They argue that it’s just a lump of flesh and that a woman should have the right to do what she wants with her body.  The Bible teaches that life begins at conception and that murder is wrong.

The Catholic Church has received a lot of pressure to relax their stand against abortion.  They have been highly criticized for their stance on communion being withheld from those that support abortion.

Last week, Raymond Arroyo of EWTN interviewed Cardinal Raymond Burke who is the Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura or better known as the Chief Justice of the Vatican’s highest court.  During that interview, Arroyo asked Burke about the church’s stand on abortion and communion and if he has ever thought of relaxing the standards because of all of the pressure he has received.

Arroyo asked:

“Now, over the years, you have said everybody from John Kerry to Nancy Pelosi to Rudy Guiliani–these are public figures who are, by and large, pro-choice, in their public pronouncements, and manifestly so–you’ve said they shouldn’t receive the Sacrament. Now, over the years, you have received such scorn, for that clear teaching, do you ever stop and say, ‘Maybe I should back off a little bit’?”

Burke responded:

“I’ve thought about it because I’ve received very severe criticism, both at the time that I was insisting on applying the discipline and also in my writing and other situations. But I have to say that, I think about it again, the discipline itself, and it’s a consistent discipline from the time of St. Paul, from the very first years of the Church, and it makes perfect sense.”

“In fact, it makes such fundamental sense that I can’t feel badly about it or question [it],” said the cardinal. “The question in my mind is, ‘Why don’t more people understand this?’ Because I don’t consider it to be rocket science or some kind of very unusual insight. It’s something that is natural to our Faith.”

“The Holy Eucharist is the most sacred reality. It is the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ. And I simply wouldn’t approach to receive Holy Communion if I was in a state of sin, and neither would I give Holy Communion to someone who I knew was in a state of sin.”

Even though I am not a Catholic, I do admire Cardinal Burke for standing up for biblical principles when it comes to abortion and communion. It shouldn’t matter if someone is a high profile politician or celebrity, if they support murdering the unborn, then they should be denied communion.  I feel that the same should be true in Protestant churches. I would even go one step further and say that communion should be withheld from homosexuals and those that support the sin of homosexuality as well as abortion.

Read more at http://lastresistance.com/4092/denying-communion-pelosi-kerry-okd-vatican-chief-justice/#J4yphCDACff1jQsG.99

Offline sinkspur

Re: Denying communion to Pelosi and Kerry OKed by Vatican Chief Justice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:35:32 pm »
First, the person writing this column is not Catholic, yet he thinks he's qualified to tell the Church how it ought to behave.

Second, the Church does not use the Eucharist as a weapon.  It is ultimately up to the individual to decide whether or not to approach and receive the Eucharist.  As Pope Francis has said, the Eucharist is not a reward but a source of help and forgiveness.

Burke's views are in the minority, not only among American bishops, but among bishops worldwide.  Not even Benedict XVI publicly refused the Eucharist to anyone.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:48:55 pm »
I do sometimes wonder about their confessions. Personally, I won't take Communion if I have not been to confession beforehand. It just feels wrong, you know?

But no - it is not a weapon at all, and should not be treated as such. Tried that once and look how well that worked out. The Church is there to guide and assist and provide structure and comfort. It's the horse, not the horseman.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:02:20 pm »
A person who is intentionally disregarding a core tenet of the faith and is unrepentent about it has rejected the community that the communion represents, and therefore it is not "using communion as a weapon" to deny it to such a person.  The fact of the matter is that the Church is generally very, very lenient and routinely bends the rule, even when it must know with substantial certainty that the parishoners of a given parish have rejected the community.  Take NYC for example; some beliefs contrary to Church teachings - like pro-choice - are so prevalent that if the Church didn't bend the rule - in the hope that at least some will change their minds - that most parishes would simply not give communion to anyone.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »
I do sometimes wonder about their confessions. Personally, I won't take Communion if I have not been to confession beforehand. It just feels wrong, you know?

But no - it is not a weapon at all, and should not be treated as such. Tried that once and look how well that worked out. The Church is there to guide and assist and provide structure and comfort. It's the horse, not the horseman.

Well, just to clarify for any Catholics reading this thread, one is not obligated to avail themselves of the Sacrament of Reconciliation if one has not committed a serious sin. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 05:07:25 pm »
Well, just to clarify for any Catholics reading this thread, one is not obligated to avail themselves of the Sacrament of Reconciliation if one has not committed a serious sin.

Very true. If I gave the wrong impression to non-Catholics, I apologize. Then again, I rack up reasonably serious sins on a daily basis.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »

Then again, I rack up reasonably serious sins on a daily basis.  :laugh:

Welcome to the club, we call it "humanity!"   :0001: