Author Topic: Denying communion to Pelosi and Kerry OKed by Vatican Chief Justice  (Read 385 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline sinkspur

Re: Denying communion to Pelosi and Kerry OKed by Vatican Chief Justice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »
First, the person writing this column is not Catholic, yet he thinks he's qualified to tell the Church how it ought to behave.

Second, the Church does not use the Eucharist as a weapon.  It is ultimately up to the individual to decide whether or not to approach and receive the Eucharist.  As Pope Francis has said, the Eucharist is not a reward but a source of help and forgiveness.

Burke's views are in the minority, not only among American bishops, but among bishops worldwide.  Not even Benedict XVI publicly refused the Eucharist to anyone.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »
I do sometimes wonder about their confessions. Personally, I won't take Communion if I have not been to confession beforehand. It just feels wrong, you know?

But no - it is not a weapon at all, and should not be treated as such. Tried that once and look how well that worked out. The Church is there to guide and assist and provide structure and comfort. It's the horse, not the horseman.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »
A person who is intentionally disregarding a core tenet of the faith and is unrepentent about it has rejected the community that the communion represents, and therefore it is not "using communion as a weapon" to deny it to such a person.  The fact of the matter is that the Church is generally very, very lenient and routinely bends the rule, even when it must know with substantial certainty that the parishoners of a given parish have rejected the community.  Take NYC for example; some beliefs contrary to Church teachings - like pro-choice - are so prevalent that if the Church didn't bend the rule - in the hope that at least some will change their minds - that most parishes would simply not give communion to anyone.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »
I do sometimes wonder about their confessions. Personally, I won't take Communion if I have not been to confession beforehand. It just feels wrong, you know?

But no - it is not a weapon at all, and should not be treated as such. Tried that once and look how well that worked out. The Church is there to guide and assist and provide structure and comfort. It's the horse, not the horseman.

Well, just to clarify for any Catholics reading this thread, one is not obligated to avail themselves of the Sacrament of Reconciliation if one has not committed a serious sin. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
Well, just to clarify for any Catholics reading this thread, one is not obligated to avail themselves of the Sacrament of Reconciliation if one has not committed a serious sin.

Very true. If I gave the wrong impression to non-Catholics, I apologize. Then again, I rack up reasonably serious sins on a daily basis.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »

Then again, I rack up reasonably serious sins on a daily basis.  :laugh:

Welcome to the club, we call it "humanity!"   :0001:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf