Author Topic: Reid: Boehner will cave in on immigration reform next year  (Read 1208 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Reid: Boehner will cave in on immigration reform next year
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:50:42 pm »
http://thehill.com/news/senate/193805-reid-boehner-will-deal-on-immigration

Reid: Boehner will cave in on immigration reform next year

By Alexander Bolton - 12/21/13 12:00 PM EST

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) believes Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) will negotiate on comprehensive immigration reform next year, despite his declarations to the contrary.

The Democratic leader argued that Boehner has a new willingness to confront Tea Party groups and this, in turn, gives Reid confidence that he will not have to break up the Senate immigration bill to negotiate a series of piecemeal reforms with the House.

“I think that John Boehner will conference with the Senate. Why wouldn’t he? He’ll have a lot of pressure from his members now that the election is getting closer,” Reid said in an interview with The Hill.

“Some of his members are in very marginal districts where they need to do something on immigration,” he added.

Boehner has vowed he will not let the Senate bill, which spans more than 1,200 pages, reach the negotiating table. The most controversial element of the package is a provision granting a pathway to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants.

“We have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill,” Boehner told reporters last month.

A spokesman for Boehner said his boss is sticking to his strategy.

“The Speaker has been very clear that the House will only address immigration reform in a step-by-step common-sense manner,” said Boehner spokesman Michael Steel.

Boehner has been under pressure from conservative members of his conference not to pass even smaller pieces of immigration reform.

They fear being strategically outmaneuvered. Narrowly-tailored legislation on border security or work visas could be combined with the Senate’s comprehensive bill and then returned to the House floor for an up-or-down vote, they fear.

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), a Tea Party favorite, has organized a group of conservatives pledging to vote against any immigration reform bill to prevent Democrats from using it as a legislative vehicle to enact the pathway to citizenship.

Even Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a co-sponsor of the Senate bill, has backed away from calls to go to conference with the comprehensive measure.

“At this point, the most realistic way to make progress on immigration would be through a series of individual bills,” Rubio spokesman Alex Conant said in October.

Reid, however, thinks Boehner will eventually take on King and conservative groups on the issue. Last week, Boehner slammed conservative groups for opposing a Senate-House budget deal that reduced the automatic cuts known as sequestration and trimmed the deficit by an additional $23 billion.

The Democratic leader admired the move.

“I was very impressed with his saying, as far as I’m concerned, what was long overdue. The government shutdown, it was being driven by these people he criticized,” Reid said.

“I think it’s a hopeful sign that that caucus is not going to be driven off a cliff as much as they were in the past,” he added.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), a cosponsor of the Senate bill, said Friday that Boehner may be willing to discuss the Senate measure but only after the House has passed a series of bills addressing the same issues.

“I’m looking for them piece by piece to address each issue. I hope they do. If they do, then you’re in the ballgame,” he said.

Boehner’s decision to hire Rebecca Tallent as his new director of immigration policy has encouraged proponents of comprehensive reform.

Tallent previously served as a senior aide to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), the lead co-author of the Senate bill.

The Speaker recently told members of the Texas business community that he would move immigration reform after the filing deadlines for next year’s Republican primaries, according to a Texas GOP strategist.

He wants to shield members of his conference from Tea Party-backed challenges if the House forges ahead on the controversial issue.

Quorum Report, a blog that covers Texas politics, reported earlier this month on Boehner’s conversations with Texas business interests.

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), a Boehner ally, told The Hill the House could move immigration legislation by next summer, depending on how the battle over the debt limit and other issues shape the start of 2014.

Cole said Boehner has made it “abundantly clear” that he wants to move several immigration bills.

Graham, who helped craft the Senate bill, said he was unsure whether Boehner planned to bring legislation creating a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants to the floor.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Reid: Boehner will cave in on immigration reform next year
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:52:25 pm »
Of course he will.  Boehner is a spineless wuss.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:06 pm »
I'm sure that is the plan agreed on by the two of them. :amen:

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 12:29:59 am »
I guess we will see if Boehner is a man of his word or just another Judas.  Caving on immigration reform just before the midterm elections would be beyond stupid regardless even if Boehner favors amnesty.  But, it would not surprise me if Boehner is just that stupid.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:30:46 am by MBB1984 »

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 02:36:25 am »
If the GOP insists on sticking its collective head in the sand when it comes to some sort of reasonable immigration reform, even if it only makes some common sense changes around the edges, then it will be demonstrating its own irresponsibility and failure to come to grips with what leadership is and what it means.

Furthermore, if the GOP sticks its collective head in the sand on this issue, it will leave the field to the democrats/liberals, who will most definitely craft a "reform" that none of us will be able to stomache.  A post hoc legalization to the status of guest workers for current illegal aliens ought to be a no-brainer for the GOP as a preferable alternative to full green-card legalization for illegal aliens under a "reform" drafted solely by leftist/liberal democrats.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 04:06:14 pm »
The left doesn't want sensible immigration reform as exhibited by the passage of the Senate bill.  The left wants amnesty with no enforcement.   

How there can be any discussion of reform without first securing the border is beyond lunacy.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 04:15:56 pm »
The left doesn't want sensible immigration reform as exhibited by the passage of the Senate bill.  The left wants amnesty with no enforcement.   

How there can be any discussion of reform without first securing the border is beyond lunacy.

We already did 'sensible immigration reform' back in the '80's and were promised that amnesty wouldn't happen again.  What empty promises will be given this time by those who are dedicated to destroying the United States?  'Sensible reform' will lock the U.S. into the same underclass mentality that the Brits enjoy.

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »
We already did 'sensible immigration reform' back in the '80's and were promised that amnesty wouldn't happen again.  What empty promises will be given this time by those who are dedicated to destroying the United States?  'Sensible reform' will lock the U.S. into the same underclass mentality that the Brits enjoy.

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

Give us our amnesty now and we'll give you your border enforcement next Tuesday!  Yeah! RIGHT!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline collins

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:03:34 pm »
Well, I for one am tired of this amnesty thing hanging over my head - Harry Reid lies like a rug, and his predictions are often worthless, but if Boehner passes this, it's hitting the self-destruct button on the GOP. Amnesty ("comprehensive immigration reform") is even more unpopular than Obamacare ever was.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 04:28:41 pm »

How there can be any discussion of "securing the border" without implementing an oppressive regime worthy of East Germany, or Nazi Germany, in its heyday is beyond lunacy.  And it is precisely because the borders cannot be "secured" without recourse to Gestapo-style tactics that the immigration laws must be reformed.  To not reform them will be to leave the borders permanently insecure and the government without any useful information on who's coming in.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »
How there can be any discussion of "securing the border" without implementing an oppressive regime worthy of East Germany, or Nazi Germany, in its heyday is beyond lunacy.  And it is precisely because the borders cannot be "secured" without recourse to Gestapo-style tactics that the immigration laws must be reformed.  To not reform them will be to leave the borders permanently insecure and the government without any useful information on who's coming in.

Two Words!

Bull Shit!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 07:10:20 pm »
Two Words!

Bull Shit!

:thumbsup3: :thumbsup3: :thumbsup3:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:39 pm »
Two Words!

Bull Shit!

And may I add, more than a bit incoherent.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams