Author Topic: Morton Grove Library trustees rejects atheist blogger's donation  (Read 519 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via the Chicago Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-morton-grove-library-trustees-vote-to-reject-athiest-bloggers-donation-20131219,0,3784864.story

After a fiery debate that pitted Morton Grove library trustees against one another, the board voted 5-2 on Thursday not to accept a donation of about $3,000 from an atheist blogger.

The money is part of a controversy that has embroiled the Morton Grove Park District, the blogger and most recently the community's public library.

Hemant Mehta, a Naperville teacher who writes a blog called the Friendly Atheist, launched a fundraising campaign after a local veterans group, American Legion Post 134, pulled funding and volunteer resources from the Park District because of a park board member's refusal to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

Reached by phone Thursday, Mehta said he was surprised.

"I'm in shock right now," he said. "I figured at least the library would take it."

Library Board Treasurer Catherine Peters said she stopped library staff from depositing the check this month, calling it a matter that should be voted on by the board.

Board President Mark Albers, who voted to accept the donation, said he had no idea whether the money was from Mehta's fundraising campaign or Mehta himself.

More at link. The comments are worth a read too.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink