Author Topic: Family Fighting Hospital Not to Kill Jahi McMath Wants Second Opinion From Neurologist  (Read 1729 times)

Offline happyg

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Get a second opinion, and if she's truly brain dead, turn off life support.  If only the machines are keeping her heart and lungs working, then she's already dead and nature will take its course almost immediately.

I pray I am never in this position, either as the family member having to make the decision, or the person someone must make it about, but I would not leave them hooked to machines forever nor would I want that for myself.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

Get a second opinion, and if she's truly brain dead, turn off life support.  If only the machines are keeping her heart and lungs working, then she's already dead and nature will take its course almost immediately.

I pray I am never in this position, either as the family member having to make the decision, or the person someone must make it about, but I would not leave them hooked to machines forever nor would I want that for myself.

I had to agree to have George taken off life support.  I knew his feelings on the matter so it was a fairly straight-forward decision for me to make.  We did have his father on life support for two months after bypass surgery and the family all wanted George to make the decision, he did not want to make it and finally he said he would decide the next day - they called us that morning to say he had passed so no one in the family had to make the decision.

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Rapunzel

I am wondering why they didn't take her back to surgery when she was bleeding so profusely.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati

Offline sinkspur

Wonder why the family won't agree to allow the hospital to discuss the case?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
Two separate issues:

1. Is the patient "legally" dead? (a family member stated they wished her to remain alive, for one last Christmas)

2. Was malpractice involved, by physicians, nurses, other hospital technicians, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Two separate issues:

1. Is the patient "legally" dead? (a family member stated they wished her to remain alive, for one last Christmas)

2. Was malpractice involved, by physicians, nurses, other hospital technicians, etc.

1. All reports confirm her as brain dead and being kept viable on life support. Counts as pretty dead in my book.

2. We'll need wait and see. While I'd suspect malpractice (from the details so far provided), even the simplest of operations can go horribly wrong in an instant. Bear in mind the hospital does not have the family's permission to speak about the case, so we are getting one side only.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:50:34 PM by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
1. All reports confirm her as brain dead and being kept viable on life support. Counts as pretty dead in my book.

2. We'll need wait and see. While I'd suspect malpractice (from the details so far provided), even the simplest of operations can go horribly wrong in an instant. Bear in mind the hospital does not have the family's permission to speak about the case, so we are getting one side only.
No disagreements.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

I am wondering why they didn't take her back to surgery when she was bleeding so profusely.
That is what I want to know too.

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Rapunzel

The biggest question remains - why was she not returned immediately to the operating room.   

Offline Rapunzel

Offline happyg

I had my tonsils taken out when I was seven years old. I bled a lot, so they put me at the foot of the bed, and raised it so that I lay at a 30 degree angle. I don't recall any emergency care, and left the hospital two days later.

Offline flowers

The biggest question remains - why was she not returned immediately to the operating room.
exactly!

Offline flowers

2nd opinion ordered for teen declared brain dead

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TONSILLECTOMY_BRAIN_DEAD_GIRL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-12-23-14-24-20

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- A California judge has ordered a second medical evaluation to determine whether a girl on life support following tonsil surgery is brain dead.

The order by Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo calls for 13-year-old Jahi McMath to be examined by Paul Graham Fisher, the chief of child neurology at Stanford University School of Medicine. The examination is expected to occur later on Monday.

Doctors at Children's Hospital in Oakland, where Jahi is on life support, have concluded she is brain dead. But Jahi's family disputes that.

They also want a third evaluation by Paul Byrne, a pediatric professor at the University of Toledo.

The judge is expected to take that request up at a hearing scheduled for Tuesday.

Jahi's family says the girl bled profusely after a routine tonsillectomy and then went into cardiac arrest before being declared brain dead on Dec. 12.

I hope she isn't brain dead. I think she is though from what I have read.

Offline flowers

Offline flowers

In a phone interview, Byrne said he could not comment in detail because he had not seen any of Jahi's medical records. But the fact that her ventilator is still functioning properly is a sign that she is alive, he said.

"The ventilator won't work on a corpse," he said. "In a corpse, the ventilator pushes the air in, but it won't come out. Just the living person pushes the air out."

bold type mine. Is this a true statement? also we learn this..
Durand said Jahi's surgery was "very complex," not simply a tonsillectomy.
it wasn't a simple tonsillectomy

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
bold type mine. Is this a true statement?

As anyone who has messed about with lungs in biology knows, it is BS. As long as they stay moist, the lungs will contract automatically. No nerves needed, the elastic fibers force them to do so.

Offline flowers

As anyone who has messed about with lungs in biology knows, it is BS. As long as they stay moist, the lungs will contract automatically. No nerves needed, the elastic fibers force them to do so.
thanks

Offline flowers

Lawyer charts legal moves in brain-dead girl case

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TONSILLECTOMY_BRAIN_DEAD_GIRL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-12-27-14-19-08

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- A California lawyer said Friday that he is prepared to go to federal court to force a hospital to insert breathing and feeding tubes into a girl who was declared brain dead after complications from a tonsillectomy.

Christopher Dolan told The Associated Press that he is drafting a civil rights lawsuit alleging that Children's Hospital Oakland's refusal to perform the procedures that would allow 13-year-old Jahi McMath to be transferred to a long-term care facility violates her family's religious, due process rights and privacy rights.

"The hospital seems to feel that only it can make decisions and in that sense, you have, I have and everyone has the right to privacy over our health care," Dolan said. "It touches on some very significant issues, namely, who controls the decisions when you are dead or alive."

The legal maneuver would need to be taken quickly. A state court judge this week gave Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield, until 5 p.m. Monday to appeal his decision to allow the hospital to take her daughter off life support.

A possible compromise surfaced Thursday when Dolan and the girl's relatives said they had found a nursing home that was willing to keep caring for Jahi even though two doctors have described her condition as irreversible. To be eligible for

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I find myself grieving for the parents. The hardest thing you ever get asked to do in life is let someone go. Matters not if they are 8 or 80, it hurts like hell and your first instinct is always to hope.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
This story really touched home with me...my grandson..when he was 6yo hemorrhaged five days after his tonsillectomy. He was staying with me so I could take care of him..he woke up in my bed coughing and then ran to the bathroom throwing up blood...I called 911 and had an ambulance here in just a few minutes.....the Doctor in the ER told me that 5-7 days after a tonsillectomy is the most dangerous.

This story breaks my heart..

Support the USO

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf