Author Topic: Laptop Issue  (Read 3444 times)

Offline flowers

Laptop Issue
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:54:15 pm »
My laptop screen just flashed twice the screen got darker then it shut off. It is a Dell latitude D630. Refurbished. Windows 7. Why would it do that? I unpluged it took out the battery. Re-installed the battery. pluged it in and ran a memory test. it is working now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:55:11 pm by flowers »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Laptop Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:58:04 pm »
Did the power cable come loose?

Mine does that when it goes on to battery power. Screen dims and it'll go to sleep after a few minutes of not being used.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:36:52 pm »
Did the power cable come loose?

Mine does that when it goes on to battery power. Screen dims and it'll go to sleep after a few minutes of not being used.
no it didn't

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:06:40 pm »
no it didn't

Make sure you have everything backed up, when it starts acting unstable it's usually getting ready to crash.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:26:41 pm »

Make sure you have everything backed up, when it starts acting unstable it's usually getting ready to crash.
Thanks. I have everything I want saved on a external hard drive.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 11:17:23 pm »
It could be a number of things, none of them very pleasant, including the imminent failure of the motherboard, the imminent failure of the graphics chip or, possibly, a developing short in the cable that connects the screen to the motherboard.

I did a quick google and the Dell latitude D630 has reported screen problems.  Do you know if the GPU (the graphics processor) is integrated or if it runs an nVidia graphics card?  If you right-click on the desktop a context menu should come up with the option to adjust the graphics properties; if the system has integrated graphics it'll say something about Intel graphics; if it has an nVidia graphics card it'll say something about adjusting the nVidia graphics properties.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 11:26:13 pm »
It could be a number of things, none of them very pleasant, including the imminent failure of the motherboard, the imminent failure of the graphics chip or, possibly, a developing short in the cable that connects the screen to the motherboard.

I did a quick google and the Dell latitude D630 has reported screen problems.  Do you know if the GPU (the graphics processor) is integrated or if it runs an nVidia graphics card?  If you right-click on the desktop a context menu should come up with the option to adjust the graphics properties; if the system has integrated graphics it'll say something about Intel graphics; if it has an nVidia graphics card it'll say something about adjusting the nVidia graphics properties.

how do I find that? Control panel?

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »
the info I see it is a intel core  DUO cpu.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 11:41:17 pm »
Sunspots.

:beer:

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:42:58 pm »
[]
Sunspots.

:beer:
Or the tin foil I wear each day   :beer:

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 11:43:27 pm »
how do I find that? Control panel?

Just close (or minimize) all of your open windows so you see the desktop.  Then put the pointer in the middle of the screen and push the right mouse button.  If you have an nVidia graphics card, the menu that pops up should have an item that says something like "nVidia control panel."  If you don't, it'll say something else, like perhaps "graphics properties" or "graphics control panel."  If you're still not sure, right-click and pull up the context menu, then take a screenshot and post it, or else write down all of the items on that menu and post them here.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 11:49:54 pm »
Just close (or minimize) all of your open windows so you see the desktop.  Then put the pointer in the middle of the screen and push the right mouse button.  If you have an nVidia graphics card, the menu that pops up should have an item that says something like "nVidia control panel."  If you don't, it'll say something else, like perhaps "graphics properties" or "graphics control panel."  If you're still not sure, right-click and pull up the context menu, then take a screenshot and post it, or else write down all of the items on that menu and post them here.
I am in safe mode. all I get is screen resolution. should I be out of safe mode?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 11:53:45 pm »
I am in safe mode. all I get is screen resolution. should I be out of safe mode?

If you have "My computer" on your desk top, right click on it and select properties, then "Device Manager."

You can get to that through the control panel as well.

You want to hit "Display Adapters."

Offline flowers

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 11:58:18 pm »
Moble intel (R) 965 express chipset family

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 12:02:36 am »
So it's a motherboard mounted video card.

Make sure everything is backed up - including your bookmarks folder and any emails you want to keep if you use a local email client.

Offline flowers

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 12:03:47 am »

Make sure everything is backed up - including your bookmarks folder and any emails you want to keep if you use a local email client.
thank you. I have anything I want saved on a external hard drive.

Offline flowers

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 12:09:31 am »

What difference does it make on the card type?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 12:10:48 am »
flowers...it looks like you are about to lose your laptop..may I make a suggestion...get a cheap desk top...I know people here will totally disagree with me but every laptop I have ever had burned up in less than 2 years...and all my desk tops are all still up and running...jmho of course.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 12:13:50 am »
Oceander is way smarter at this stuff than me - but an on board video card can't be repaired economically, even if you can find a good solder jockey. A separate one can.

You may need to check your budget for a replacement laptop in the near future. It could have just been a glitch. They happen. Or it could be the first sign of a system failure.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 12:14:35 am »
One reason laptops tend to die more than desktops is people forget to blow out the dust and laptops are more prone to heat damage.  Keeping them clean and setting them on a cooling stand helps tremendously.

If you have to have a laptop, PM me.  I work for an IT company and can recommend some good models.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 12:14:38 am »
Moble intel (R) 965 express chipset family

That means you have integrated graphics.  That's good in one sense, because there were some real problems with the nVidia cards that went into the D620 (and, I would guess, some of the D630s). 

There are a series of other diagnostic tests that can be run, but unless you've got some proficiency with computer diagnostics, it's probably not worth your time for me to try and walk you through them.  I would suggest that you back everything up and then find someone who can run the diagnostics for you; you may also need to start preparing to get a new laptop.  I would suggest you not get a Dell.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 12:28:00 am »
I would recommend a Compaq Presario - but the keyboards are terrible. 8 months and the keys not only start to fail. but the letters rub off.

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 12:40:44 am »
I would recommend a Compaq Presario - but the keyboards are terrible. 8 months and the keys not only start to fail. but the letters rub off.

I generally like the HPs, although I would suggest shying away from the cheaper models as those tend to have some faulty components; I have one lower end HP that almost immediately developed a sticky backspace key and within 6 months two of the three usb ports basically stopped working (I can get them to work if I get just the right usb plug and I jiggle them just so).

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 12:50:41 am »
I would recommend HP, but not the consumer models such as the Presario or Pavilion.

Go with the commercial line, which while a little more, are much better and last a lot longer.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 01:09:44 am »
I would recommend HP, but not the consumer models such as the Presario or Pavilion.

Go with the commercial line, which while a little more, are much better and last a lot longer.

The higher-end pavilions are not that bad.