Author Topic: New Obamacare delay is the worst yet  (Read 1517 times)

rangerrebew

New Obamacare delay is the worst yet
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:26:22 am »

December 20, 2013

New Obamacare Delay Is the Worst Yet

Kevin Glass

The Obama Administration just announced that it would be interpreting the definition of Obamacare's "hardship exemption" to apply to every American whose plan had been canceled by the insurance companies. This comes on the heels of their estimate of around 500,000 Americans unable to obtain health insurance after their plans had been canceled - an estimate that is almost assuredly far too low.
What this "hardship exemption" does is exempt those qualifying Americans from the individual mandate. That's right - they will not be forced by the Obama Administration to buy health insurance in 2014. Additionally, they will be free to purchase any insurance they choose, even insurance that does not meet the minimum standard mandated by Obamacare.

This is a horrendous sign for the progress of the law. While Obamacare has an explicit goal of forcing Americans to maintain "continuous coverage," the Obama Administration had already effectively delayed that as well, allowing those unable to purchase insurance to wait until March to do so, rather than January 1. As many as five million insurance plans have been canceled, and only 300,000 Americans have been able to purchase insurance on the federally-administered exchanges. There's just a massive gulf to be made up.

Ezra Klein wrote in the Washington Post:

According to HHS, the exemption covers people who "experienced financial or domestic circumstances, including an unexpected natural or human-caused event, such that he or she had a significant, unexpected increase in essential expenses that prevented him or her from obtaining coverage under a qualified health plan."
Today, the administration agreed with a group of senators, led by Mark Warner of Virginia, who argued that having your insurance plan canceled counted as "an unexpected natural or human-caused event." For these people, in other words, Obamacare itself is the hardship.

There is one reason and one reason only that insurance cancellations would be "unexpected": because President Obama did his best to hide it. His Administration knew that as many as 75% of insurance plans would be canceled in July 2010 - the only reason anyone might not have seen it coming is that President Obama lied repeatedly about it.

If it's been too difficult for people with canceled policies to purchase insurance, why is it not too difficult for people without policies? The exchanges have been open for the same amount of time for everyone. (They've also been malfunctioning for the same amount of time for everyone.) At what point will President Obama admit failure and accept the most reasonable solution - complete and full delay of Obamacare, for everyone

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/kevinglass/2013/12/19/new-obamacare-delay-is-the-worst-yet-n1766294
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:27:03 am by rangerrebew »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: New Obamacare delay is the worst yet
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:56:14 am »
This will almost certainly lead to a full government takeover of healthcare and most health insurance. This essentially destroys the whole business model of Obamacare which was always very shakey even if it worked like it was supposed to, which it is not.

In the future, the only people with health insurance as we are use to it will be the very weathly. The rest of us are going to be stuck in some crappy government run plan, with crappy doctors, crappy hospitals, and 30 to 60 day wait times for an appointment.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:10:13 pm »
This will almost certainly lead to a full government takeover of healthcare and most health insurance.

That was the plan all along and it seems the so called opposition party is fine with that.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:40 pm »
This will almost certainly lead to a full government takeover of healthcare and most health insurance. This essentially destroys the whole business model of Obamacare which was always very shakey even if it worked like it was supposed to, which it is not.

In the future, the only people with health insurance as we are use to it will be the very weathly. The rest of us are going to be stuck in some crappy government run plan, with crappy doctors, crappy hospitals, and 30 to 60 day wait times for an appointment.

Not a chance.

The odds of single-payer now are extremely low.  After this disastrous roll-out, the American people are not going to go all-in on Medicare for all.  Republicans have a winning issue, will be proven right that the plan should have been delayed, and will NEVER support single payer. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 01:30:05 pm »

It won't.  We are AmeriCANS, not American'ts.  The people in the USSR found ways around things.  We will as well.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »
It won't.  We are AmeriCANS, not American'ts.  The people in the USSR found ways around things.  We will as well.

Really? And what have you seen of these AmeriCANS lately that gives you such optimism? Please share it, because from what I've observed, the public will accept nearly anything, so long as their smart phones work, and there is a real wife from some location on television. I have yet to hear anyone outraged about anything regarding government or politics. Quite the opposite, if you mention either, they run from you like you're a crazy person.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:09:32 pm »
Really? And what have you seen of these AmeriCANS lately that gives you such optimism? Please share it, because from what I've observed, the public will accept nearly anything, so long as their smart phones work, and there is a real wife from some location on television. I have yet to hear anyone outraged about anything regarding government or politics. Quite the opposite, if you mention either, they run from you like you're a crazy person.

Relic, you just said what I was going to say.  Americans will line up like a little sheep for anything the government will give them and you will not hear a single peep from the so-called opposition party.  The rest of us, the ones that have the balls to say anything - will be audited by the IRS, or we will lose our jobs, etc.  I hate to say it, that I've lost hope that Americans will refuse to do anything the government tells them to do.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

rangerrebew

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »
As someone once noted here, the only difference between democrats and republicans is the rate of destruction of America they want to see.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »

What I have personally endured has made it easy to separate what's important from what's unimportant.  Doom and gloom from the chattering class is unimportant.  The only "Real Wife" I'm concerned about is the one I married 19 years ago.  I have more friends with basic cell phones than smart phones.  I go fishing when I need.
You can choose to associate with people who care about television or people who care about living.  I'm political but I have an off switch.  When it's time to play with the dog, I play with the dog.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »
You can choose to associate with people who care about television or people who care about living.  I'm political but I have an off switch.  When it's time to play with the dog, I play with the dog.

Quote of the week. Maybe the month.

:beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 07:44:34 pm »
Problem with using this exemption:  this wasn't an unexpected human-caused event; this was an inevitable, fully expected, human-caused event.  But nevermind, why let a pesky little law stand in the way of doing what you want; after all, Congress gave Obastard carte blanche when they enacted Obamacare, didn't they?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 09:12:59 pm »
Guess what.  OCT 1st was not written in the law, it wad an arbitrary date the admin wanted to coincide with the fiscal year.  Congressman Jim Jordan said they could have delayed it and the GOP would have gone along with it without,a shut down, but the admin really wanted the shut down.. thus no delay, yet they are currently mandating everything the GOP was pushing for.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776