Author Topic: Katie Couric's Talk Show Gets Officially Canceled  (Read 673 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Katie Couric's Talk Show Gets Officially Canceled
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:58:10 pm »
Via the Wire: http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2013/12/katie-courics-talk-show-gets-officially-canceled/356353/

Though it's not surprising at all, today the news became official: Katie Couric's talk show, Katie has been officially canceled. Couric and Disney-ABC said in a joint statement, per Variety, that they've "mutually agreed" that the show would end after its second season. This leaves Couric, who recently took a job at Yahoo!, in the clutches of the internet.

Couric won't have to abandon network television that quickly, though, since the show will continue on production through June 2014. The talk show was never quite a good fit for Couric. As Bill Carter at the New York Times wrote, Couric "made it clear that she preferred covering topics that were not necessarily ideal for building ratings for a syndicated talk show." In October, Alex Ben Block wrote at The Hollywood Reporter that "station owners now complain the daily strip hasn't lived up to the hype, and several insiders tell THR that internal discord has become nearly unbearable."

The show recently became embroiled in controversy when it ran a segment questioning the safety of the HPV vaccine Gardasil.

Couric's job at Yahoo! has her serving as a "global news anchor."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Katie Couric's Talk Show Gets Officially Canceled
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:02:38 pm »
Daytime syndication is a dying market. The viewers just aren't in front of the TV before 4:00 anymore, and Katie aired at 3:00 most places.

The networks may be better off going the cable route and running cheap rerun filler during the day.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:02:55 pm »
lol

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:06:50 pm »
Couric cancelled? What can I do now to fill the void in my life this will cause?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:18:36 pm »
Couric cancelled? What can I do now to fill the void in my life this will cause?

I hear that watching paint dry is both soothing and more intellectually stimulating.

Was thinking about it - I couldn't pick her out of a police line up. Talk Show Barbies all look the same.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink