Author Topic:  (Read 606 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« on: December 19, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »

Support the USO

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »

I see the 'need' for more gov't control of the Internet coming...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »
Would someone very kindly and gently, in words of one syllable or less, tell me what the heck a Duck Dynasty is?

Cause at the moment I have the impression it is some reality TV thing - and if you really think reality TV isn't scripted even for the interviews, I'll sell you some beachfront land in the Sahara.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:36:25 PM by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline LambChop

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
Would someone very kindly and gently, in words of one syllable or less, tell me what the heck a Duck Dynasty is?

Cause at the moment I have the impression it is some reality TV thing - and if you really think reality TV isn't scripted even for the interviews, I'll sell you some beachfront land in the Sahara.

:amen:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
Proving once again that Glenn Beck, in addition to being a common ass, is also a self-serving attention whore.

That is all.

:smokin:

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:18:32 PM by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
Proving once again that Glenn Beck, in addition to being a common ass, is also a self-serving attention whore.

That is all.

:smokin:

I think it is being a brilliant business man.  People were calling into Wilkow this hour excited at the possibility DD could go to The Blaze because this means even more carriers will pick it up......

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »

I think it is being a brilliant business man.  People were calling into Wilkow this hour excited at the possibility DD could go to The Blaze because this means even more carriers will pick it up......

The only problem here is how much of DD did the Robertson's sign over to Hearst?  How much of the style is trademarked?  Did they contract out any interest in their Duck Commander line?  I could see Hearst demanding a share of Duck Commander under the guise they were helping build the brand- and with that, control over how it is presented.

It may not be an easy move and we shouldn't be surprised if we don't see a move for a long time.

Duck season is over.  Lawyer season has now opened up.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »

Forgive me, but that's a no shit Sherlock statement if I ever saw one.   

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »
The only problem here is how much of DD did the Robertson's sign over to Hearst?  How much of the style is trademarked?  Did they contract out any interest in their Duck Commander line?  I could see Hearst demanding a share of Duck Commander under the guise they were helping build the brand- and with that, control over how it is presented.

It may not be an easy move and we shouldn't be surprised if we don't see a move for a long time.

Duck season is over.  Lawyer season has now opened up.
I am not an entertainment lawyer, or other kind of lawyer. But I expect that A&E owns most of the concept, rights, etc.

Sean Connery doesn't "own" 007 or James Bond. He was one of several actors. Jay Leno doesn't own Tonight.

etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »
Forgive me, but that's a no shit Sherlock statement if I ever saw one.

True.

Did you ever catch "Downsized?" Laura is nice people. I interviewed her. Every word was checked by legal - and I was writing for the same company that broadcast the show.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »
I am not an entertainment lawyer, or other kind of lawyer. But I expect that A&E owns most of the concept, rights, etc.

Sean Connery doesn't "own" 007 or James Bond. He was one of several actors. Jay Leno doesn't own Tonight.

etc.

You are correct. It is a bit more complex than those cases though in that there was a long established business (Duck Commander) long before Hearst approached the Robertsons. The Robertson's owned Duck Commander exclusively. IF I were a Hearst lawyer, I would ask for some control over that business while the contract for DD was enacted as it all reflected on the brand I was selling.

Hell, the 'beards' are even contractual and trademarked.
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2013/10/duck-dynastys-alan-robertson-says-beards-are-contractual.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf