Author Topic: A&E Places Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus From ‘Duck Dynasty’ Following Fiery Remarks on Homosexuality  (Read 10595 times)

Offline mountaineer

No, it is the discussion. What you are claiming is for the discussion to be only one sided. For Christians to be able to condemn homosexuals, and to not get a negative response.
What's being "condemned" is homosexual behavior, not homosexuals.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I don't remember seeing (or hearing) any bleeps, but I haven't seen every episode.

But if you like a nice, calm, cute humor, and family warmth kinda viewing you should check it out at least once.

They're goofy, fun and silly.

I love the trailer where the guy says...."Give me a thousand and you can take them (baby goats) with you now!"

One of the stars says, "I ain't putting any goats in my $70K Escalade!"

his wife says, "I WANT THE GOATS!"

Star looks sheepishly at the ground as the camera go to a close-up of the baby goat.   LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I don't think his firing is "persecution" specifically, but it speaks to the larger point that Christians are being silenced, and very specifically told not to voice the opinion that homosexuality is a sin.
Christians have buildings all long the street. They own huge television networks.

That is a long, long way from "silenced," "persecuted," etc.

You just won't settle for less than the power to make controversial claims to the public, and get no opposition.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

REALLY????  You've called me jealous.  You questioned my faith.  You've questioned my intelligence.

you're right... telling you you're being pushy is even steven with those stated above.   :chairbang:

I'm backing up to this post, LambChop, and I went back to re-read what I've said to you, and see if anything I said even remotely questioned your faith or intelligence.

Nothing did.

I neither thought nor wrote anything that questioned either.

But nonetheless, I apologize for offending you so deeply, and will try not to do so again.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rapunzel

Christians have buildings all long the street. They own huge television networks.

You just won't settle for less than the power to make controversial claims to the public, and get no opposition.

Oh,....... but THIS is just fine.........

Let someone make even an innocent statement here about Mormon's and you are all over them like flys on honey....... but when it comes to Christians that is an entirely different bag of worms../s

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

No, it is the discussion. What you are claiming is for the discussion to be only one sided. For Christians to be able to condemn homosexuals, and to not get a negative response.

Not even close.

I have not once said that the pro-homosexual activists don't have the right to speak.  They do.

But they are not the people who are being silenced, or intimidated into silence.

We Christians are.

(And, no one is "condemning" homosexuals.  They are sinners, just like the rest of us.  But their behavior IS sin, and we DO have the right to state our beliefs on this issue without being screamed at as haters).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

Poppycock.

Billy Graham and Franklin Graham got audited by the IRS for standing in favor of Biblical marriage in North Carolina.

What do you call that, if not an attempt to silence them??

Offline Rapunzel

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/19/gay-cnn-anchor-defends-duck-dynasty-star-i-dont-think-he-should-be-fired/

Gay CNN anchor defends ‘Duck Dynasty’ star: ‘I don’t think he should be fired’

Posted By Brendan Bordelon On 10:45 AM 12/19/2013

“Duck Dynasty’s” Phil Robertson got an unlikely boost Wednesday when CNN anchor Don Lemon — who is gay — told Piers Morgan he disagrees with Robertson’s “indefinite suspension” from the A&E television network over his anti-gay remarks.

An outraged Morgan repeatedly slammed Robertson and his corporate affiliates in the strongest terms, clearly hoping Lemon would jump on the bandwagon. But the CNN anchor took a more measured view:

MORGAN: Final question to you, Don. Should he be allowed back? Should he just be fired from the show for this? And what is the corporate, responsible reaction from Wal-Mart, who sells so much “Duck Dynasty” products?

LEMON: Listen, I always err on the side of free speech. Just because I’m offended — as I said, people can say whatever they want to say. I don’t think people should be fired. I think the marketplace should decide. If people don’t like “Duck Dynasty,” they shouldn’t watch “Duck Dynasty.” But listen, as someone who comes from Louisiana, grew up there, was born there, in the place where they actually shoot the story — and listen, I’m not saying this is anything people don’t know about Louisiana, about the South and about America — it is a place where many people still feel and think the way he thinks. So, I personally, if you’re asking me my personal opinion, I don’t think he should be fired. I think people should be allowed to say what they want, and if they hang themselves, they hang themselves.

Morgan responded that he “won’t be as kind” as Lemon, claiming Robertson’s comments were “absolutely repulsive” and calling for his firing.

[h/t Josh Feldman]

Offline Cincinnatus

For Christians to be able to condemn homosexuals, and to not get a negative response.

I don't believe that is the central issue. It isn't the unwillingness to accept "a negative response", but rather that Phil was suspended for expressing an opinion. It ought also be noted that his suspension resulted from pressure by people who demand tolerance when it comes to themselves.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
That distinction is only recognized by those doing the condemning.

Dogs do doglike behavior. Muslims do muslimlike behavior. Asians do asianlike behavior. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

Not so.  To condemn homosexual behavior is to condemn sin.............and ourselves, as sinners.

Christians understand that ALL our hearts are dark, and that we are ALL guilty of sin, and that, but for the GRACE of God, through Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross, we would be without hope.

The distinction is very real.  It is the behavior that is the problem, not the inclination toward it.

Because all of our hearts are inclined to sin.

Offline happyg

I don't believe that is the central issue. It isn't the unwillingness to accept "a negative response", but rather that Phil was suspended for expressing an opinion. It ought also be noted that his suspension resulted from pressure by people who demand tolerance when it comes to themselves.

Phils comments are being condemned by those who don't watch the show. The reason the show is so popular is because they combine their religious beliefs with their every day lives. If they have to censor themselves, then the show will die on its own. A&E wants to pick what is biblically acceptable, and Christianity doesn't work that way.

Offline andy58-in-nh

per·se·cu·tion
ˌpərsəˈkyo͞oSHən/
noun
noun: persecution; plural noun: persecutions

hostility and ill-treatment, esp. because of race or political or religious beliefs.

"her family fled religious persecution"
    synonyms:   oppression, victimization, maltreatment, ill-treatment, mistreatment, abuse, ill-usage, discrimination, tyranny; More

That definition is essentially correct.

But the question remains: was Mr. Robertson persecuted by A&E, or by others acting influentially upon them?

"Persecution" is what groups and governments do, under color of law. But as offensive as it might be to see a man condemned for expressing the moral teachings of his own faith, that's not what resulted in his firing.

I will stipulate this: Christians today are in fact under a sustained cultural assault for their beliefs, most directly at the hands of loud, politically-powerful minorities, and even worse: sometimes with the tacit approval of government authorities.

But as a matter of law, the question is a different one.

The fact is that Mr. Robertson was an employee under contract with A&E and subject to its employment standards, as expressed explicitly in the contract and also, as a matter of law. It is common in such situations that the employer has a presumption in its favor, as regards violations of a contractual agreement by an employee. The reason is that the primary benefit of the relationship flows to the employee, in the form of financial remuneration which would not be available but for the willingness of the employer to offer it, even if the employer benefits, as in this case by increased sales of its products and services resulting from the efforts of the employee.

One can fire an employee for any reason except for an explicitly illegal one (e.g. - provable discrimination against a person as a member of a protected group or the refusal of an employee to engage in illegal activities as a further condition of employment).

Absent such considerations, it is difficult to conclude that Mr. Robertson was discriminated against in this case, much less "persecuted", as Christians are not a protected class, nor is it clear that outside pressure was applied in such a manner and to such an extent as to force the employer to involuntarily terminate their contract.

What is legal, and what is right and just do not always coincide. But often, justice has a way of correcting the flaws in legal remedies. A&E stands to lose huge revenues for succumbing to its perception of political correctness - and in this case, perhaps it should. Okay, forget the "perhaps": it should.

But that result still does not mean that Mr. Robertson was "persecuted" for expressing his views - only that he fell victim to a behavioral standard implied by his employer, and fully within their power to determine.

Personally, I think A&E was crazy and foolish to give in to a tiny minority with an outsized voice, and to abandon a far, FAR larger base of paying consumers. But it's not illegal to be crazy and foolish unless you inflict harm on someone else. Abrogating a contract for reasons expressed within its own terms does not rise to that standard - no matter how obnoxious the result.

At least for now. As I said, justice - real justice - has a way of catching up in the end. I wouldn't be surprised to see the victim emerge especially triumphant in this case. Would you? 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

A reminder of Phil Robertson's response to being fired.  No apology, but this statement......

"I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Offline mountaineer

Dogs do doglike behavior. Muslims do muslimlike behavior. Asians do asianlike behavior.
WTH.
   "Asianlike"?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

Absent such considerations, it is difficult to conclude that Mr. Robertson was discriminated against in this case, much less "persecuted", as Christians are not a protected class, nor is it clear that outside pressure was applied in such a manner and to such an extent as to force the employer to involuntarily terminate their contract.

What is legal, and what is right and just do not always coincide. But often, justice has a way of correcting the flaws in legal remedies. A&E stands to lose huge revenues for succumbing to its perception of political correctness - and in this case, perhaps it should. Okay, forget the "perhaps": it should.

Okay - but how can A&E deem this offensive:

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

and not find this offensive (even more offensive) - especially since as this states they mischaracterized what Robertson said.

An openly gay couple on A&E's "Storage Wars: New York" is NOT offended by the homophobic comments made by fellow A&E'er and "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson -- telling TMZ, they just feel bad for him ... because man ass beats vagina any day of the week.

Chris Morelli and Tad Eaton tell us, "We could give a s**t what he thinks ... [man ass] is tighter."

As we reported, Phil talked about how a vagina is more desirable than a man's anus, and how homosexuality and bestiality are the same sin.

By the way, because they are tolerant grown-ups, Morelli and Eaton are not offended. They did however mischaracterize what Robertson said.

Offline musiclady

The comments from the homosexual couple on Storage Wars qualifies, for me, as TMI............     **nononono*

Offline Rapunzel

The comments from the homosexual couple on Storage Wars qualifies, for me, as TMI............     **nononono*

Yet they keep their jobs. 

Offline musiclady

Yet they keep their jobs.

And some say there's no double standard??

Oy.......   

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Late to the party  on this one but jumping in here anyway!

1. I agree with EVERY WORD Phil Robertson said!

2. Merry CHRISTMAS  to all!

Anyone who doesn't like either of those can put me on ignore RIGHT NOW!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:00:18 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Late to the party  on this one but jumping in here anyway!

1. I agree with EVERY WORD Phil Robertson said!

2. Merry CHRISTMAS  to all!

Anyone who doest leik either of those can put me on ignore RIGHT NOW!

Pretty sure we all agree with what Phil Robertson said.   It's not the issue.

It's the treatment he's getting for voicing it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline olde north church

Sorry ma'am.  This whole "love the sinner, hate the sin", "focus on the problem, not the person" is bull dinkies.  Let them go back into the closet, I don't want to listen to lisps.  I want the wholesome, "Wizard of Oz" back in our hands.  Give them Cesar Romero!  I want Judy Garland back in our column.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

Sorry ma'am.  This whole "love the sinner, hate the sin", "focus on the problem, not the person" is bull dinkies.  Let them go back into the closet, I don't want to listen to lisps.  I want the wholesome, "Wizard of Oz" back in our hands.  Give them Cesar Romero!  I want Judy Garland back in our column.

Sorry dude.  The whole "insisting it's condemnation" ploy is simply designed to silence all dissent against destructive behaviors (aka 'sin').

Might as well cry 'racism' while you're at it...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
I don't think it was his comments about homosexuality that got him canned as much as it was his comments about his deep belief in Christ.