Author Topic: A&E Places Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus From ‘Duck Dynasty’ Following Fiery Remarks on Homosexuality  (Read 10584 times)

Offline musiclady

Thanks DC.

While many of us may agree with what he said.  Doesn't mean he's being persecuted.  And there are WAY bigger fish to fry.

Besides, I'm sure Ms Kay is making what ever hurt feelings he has go away, quickly.

Who exactly, besides you, used the word "persecution" to describe what has happened in this situation?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rapunzel

Robertson spoke and was not only fired, but accused of hate by everyone on the left.  His firing is NOT the main issue.

And yes, we can speak against sin and homosexuality, but we will continue to be accused of hatred.

That is intimidation.

And it is NOT American.

So whether or not you are a Christian, ts, you should be disturbed by the overt attempt to shut Christians up because you are an American.

This is what he said that caused all the angst......... I imagine quite a few people weighing in on this didn't even bother to READ what he said and are giving knee-jerk comments because gasp..... Robertsons are Christians......

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

You ever stop to think I'm offended that this family uses "religious persecution" as their marketing tool?

Seeing as every time there's a story it's about their religion.  And with every story there's a new product.
But yeah, go ahead and make ME out to be the bad guy.

My God and My Christ aren't for sale.  Is yours?

More speculation based on your own bias against them.

Again..............I've never used the word "persecution" to describe any of this, so lay off the hyperbolic rhetoric, OK??

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Who exactly, besides you, used the word "persecution" to describe what has happened in this situation?

I'd say that being fired for a religious comment could be construed as 'persecution'....but you're right, nobody has used it on the thread.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LambChop

Yet you are speaking, and Robertson is speaking.

Maybe Robertson needs to be employed by an employer who agrees with his positions.

Question? Does anybody think Robertson was surprised by the reaction to his remarks?

Actually, I was thinking maybe Phil wanted a little vacation so provoked the response he got.  LOL  Networks are so predictable.
I don't think he'll be gone for long.  He's a handsome man for us older woman to gander at. :silly:

Offline musiclady

LoaH, I am not sure where you shop but I saw a variety of DD merchandise (shirts, towels, throw pillows, even the Chia things [Walgreen]) on sale at various places weeks before this latest kerfuffle. The ubiquity of the stuff is far more related to exploiting Christmas than to the homos and that raises a separate issue when it comes to the Robertson's public religiosity.

Actually, the show was a roaring success before they started talking about their Christianity.

Apart from the prayer at the end, and the recent Christmas special, it's more about redneck 'values' than Christianity.

And A&E, as I understand it, is who has done the marketing.

Offline happyg

It's entirely speculation, and entirely beside the point.

I think Phil is a savvy guy who uses his new found fame to promote Christian values (and his own traditional views).

I don't think his firing is "persecution" specifically, but it speaks to the larger point that Christians are being silenced, and very specifically told not to voice the opinion that homosexuality is a sin.

This is problematic, DC, and certainly not something to be scoffed at.

The silencing of Christian voices in the marketplace is something that needs to be countered, and this may be an opportune time for us to be more open about it.

:amen: There have been too many Christians backing down when confronted by the mob. I recall Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell even backing down, among others. Christians might complain, but allow themselves to be intimidated and apologize, and for what? Stating their beliefs is part and parcel with their religion. Until the  communist liberals got a foothold, even democrats showed their religious side. Now, they cower, and sell their souls to the devil to keep their positions of power. That is the same with the media, and anyone who are afraid to speak out.

It's long past time someone so popular came out about his religion without shame nor apology.  Phil is following his heart, not his pocketbook, and if he has both, more power to the God loving man!

Offline LambChop

More speculation based on your own bias against them.

Again..............I've never used the word "persecution" to describe any of this, so lay off the hyperbolic rhetoric, OK??

You presume a whole lot ML.  And I have no bias against them.  I watch the show.  *not every week, but often*
You seem to like to push people around when they don't agree with you, don't you.

You've called me a few things over the last posts.  Insinuated other not so nice things over the last posts.
Maybe it's you who needs to lay off.

Offline musiclady

I'd say that being fired for a religious comment could be construed as 'persecution'....but you're right, nobody has used it on the thread.

I know enough about persecution to know that being fired for telling the truth about homosexuality is not even CLOSE to persecution.

The use of the word, IMO, was to accuse and not to further the discussion.

At least that's the way it seems, since it kept being used against us, and not as an accurate description of what was being said.

Offline musiclady

You presume a whole lot ML.  And I have no bias against them.  I watch the show.  *not every week, but often*
You seem to like to push people around when they don't agree with you, don't you.

You've called me a few things over the last posts.  Insinuated other not so nice things over the last posts.
Maybe it's you who needs to lay off.

OK.

But for the record, I don't even remotely like to "push people around" when they don't agree with me.

So, I guess you've gotten even for my "assumptions" about you with a few of your own......

Offline Cincinnatus

And A&E, as I understand it, is who has done the marketing.

Point taken, ML.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline GourmetDan

It's long past time someone so popular came out about his religion without shame nor apology.  Phil is following his heart, not his pocketbook, and if he has both, more power to the God loving man!

IIRC, even Christ himself wasn't 'good enough' for those who hated the truth...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline musiclady

:amen: There have been too many Christians backing down when confronted by the mob. I recall Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell even backing down, among others. Christians might complain, but allow themselves to be intimidated and apologize, and for what? Stating their beliefs is part and parcel with their religion. Until the  communist liberals got a foothold, even democrats showed their religious side. Now, they cower, and sell their souls to the devil to keep their positions of power. That is the same with the media, and anyone who are afraid to speak out.

I've had this discussion with a number of other Christians who have shared the same frustrations.

We have been intimidated to the point where most people are afraid...........AFRAID...........to state that they simply believe marriage is between a man and a woman, because of the reprisals that most likely will come from the left.

This is a very, very real problem.

And diminishing it is a very, very real mistake.

Offline LambChop

OK.  I guess I need to ask YOUR permission on the words I use.

So ML, which ONE word would you use to describe what YOU think happened to Phil?

Offline LambChop

OK.

But for the record, I don't even remotely like to "push people around" when they don't agree with me.

So, I guess you've gotten even for my "assumptions" about you with a few of your own......

REALLY????  You've called me jealous.  You questioned my faith.  You've questioned my intelligence.

you're right... telling you you're being pushy is even steven with those stated above.   :chairbang:

Offline musiclady

OK.  I guess I need to ask YOUR permission on the words I use.

So ML, which ONE word would you use to describe what YOU think happened to Phil?

NOT persecution.

And your biting sarcasm aside..........you used the word to describe what WE were saying, and therefore it was inaccurate.

If you feel like what happened to Phil was persecution, so be it.  Feel free to say it all you want.

I don't think it was.

And never said I did.

My comments were about the overall attempts to silence Christians, specifically regarding the Biblical belief that homosexuality is a sin.

And you have not once engaged in a discussion on that point.

Online DCPatriot

per·se·cu·tion
ˌpərsəˈkyo͞oSHən/
noun
noun: persecution; plural noun: persecutions

hostility and ill-treatment, esp. because of race or political or religious beliefs.

"her family fled religious persecution"
    synonyms:   oppression, victimization, maltreatment, ill-treatment, mistreatment, abuse, ill-usage, discrimination, tyranny; More
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

REALLY????  You've called me jealous.  You questioned my faith.  You've questioned my intelligence.

you're right... telling you you're being pushy is even steven with those stated above.   :chairbang:

Take a walk.  Get some fresh air.  Calm down.

(There...........NOW I'm being pushy).

Offline musiclady

per·se·cu·tion
ˌpərsəˈkyo͞oSHən/
noun
noun: persecution; plural noun: persecutions

hostility and ill-treatment, esp. because of race or political or religious beliefs.

"her family fled religious persecution"
    synonyms:   oppression, victimization, maltreatment, ill-treatment, mistreatment, abuse, ill-usage, discrimination, tyranny; More

Eh.................borderline at best.

Phil was an employee.  AE had the right.

Stupid, yes.  Persecution, not really.......

Online DCPatriot

I love this place!    :beer:

Online DCPatriot

Eh.................borderline at best.

Phil was an employee.  AE had the right.

Stupid, yes.  Persecution, not really.......

I understand that according to Phil, the producers beeped out words that didn't need to be stricken.  Omitting parts of bible verses, etc.. 

Persecution?

As Robert DiNiro said...."Yeah, a little bit!   A little bit!"    :laugh:

Offline mountaineer

I understand that according to Phil, the producers beeped out words that didn't need to be stricken.  Omitting parts of bible verses, etc.. 

Persecution?

As Robert DiNiro said...."Yeah, a little bit!   A little bit!"    :laugh:
I read  that the producers inserted the beeps to make it appear the characters were using profanity, which they weren't.  :shrug: I've never watched it, so I don't know.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LambChop

NOT persecution.

And your biting sarcasm aside..........you used the word to describe what WE were saying, and therefore it was inaccurate.

If you feel like what happened to Phil was persecution, so be it.  Feel free to say it all you want.

I don't think it was.

And never said I did.

My comments were about the overall attempts to silence Christians, specifically regarding the Biblical belief that homosexuality is a sin.

And you have not once engaged in a discussion on that point.

Well, no.  Because the thread was about DD and Phil being fired for his remarks.  And my comments were about how it seems like every time DD has a dust up, there's more product to sell.  And maybe, just maybe it's tied to one another.

And as a Christian woman I would think you would be a little upset at the fact that Christians and their faith is being used as a marketing tool.  But then again if the Duck Dynasty people don't have a problem with it, why should you?

Offline LambChop

I read  that the producers inserted the beeps to make it appear the characters were using profanity, which they weren't.  :shrug: I've never watched it, so I don't know.

I don't remember seeing (or hearing) any bleeps, but I haven't seen every episode.

But if you like a nice, calm, cute humor, and family warmth kinda viewing you should check it out at least once.

They're goofy, fun and silly.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
And yes, we can speak against sin and homosexuality, but we will continue to be accused of hatred.

That is intimidation.

And it is NOT American.
No, it is the discussion. What you are claiming is for the discussion to be only one sided. For Christians to be able to condemn homosexuals, and to not get a negative response.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln