Author Topic: Lots of atheists, more Muslims, fewer Christians and Jews: this is the new America  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Are you giving to charity for the sake of charity, what difference does it make?  If you're going to give to charity, shouldn't it be unconditional.  If someone is taking advantage of the charity of others, that is between God and the person taking advantage  It shouldn't be to keep score, let not the right hand know.

No.  There's people who truly need it and they do deserve our "charity" and then there's grifters who pretty much deserve to be shunned. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline olde north church

No.  There's people who truly need it and they do deserve our "charity" and then there's grifters who pretty much deserve to be shunned.

It's like any other situation, it's like "he will get his!", referring to God's punishment for murder, rape, etc., but taking advantage of charitable giving, it's like pitchfork and torch time.  I'm not saying to walk as if a babe in the woods.  I have asked here about the various charities for veterans for which pays the highest percentage and the like.  Once your dollar leaves your hand, it's out of your control, after you've done your due diligence.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Rapunzel

It's like any other situation, it's like "he will get his!", referring to God's punishment for murder, rape, etc., but taking advantage of charitable giving, it's like pitchfork and torch time.  I'm not saying to walk as if a babe in the woods.  I have asked here about the various charities for veterans for which pays the highest percentage and the like.  Once your dollar leaves your hand, it's out of your control, after you've done your due diligence.

A group of us personally did something for Wounded Warriors last summer and the summer before.  I give to the Salvation Army because the head of the Army lives very frugally and more of our donations go to the people who need it. I never give to the Red Cross too little actually makes it into the hands of those in need. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

Should one continue to give one's material possessions to the "poor" if the "poor" are those who simply choose not to work to support themselves and instead prefer to live off of the charity of others?

Charity and Christian love is not given based on the worthiness of the recipient.  Willingness to share one's goods is about ME and my disposition, not the person receiving the goods.

That is entirely different from distributing taxpayer funds.  In that case, genuine need would seem to be the prime determinant.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A group of us personally did something for Wounded Warriors last summer and the summer before.  I give to the Salvation Army because the head of the Army lives very frugally and more of our donations go to the people who need it. I never give to the Red Cross too little actually makes it into the hands of those in need.

Just want to point out - you shelled out something far more precious than mere money. You gave your time. A body can always earn more cash. Your time is limited and fixed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink