Author Topic: Duck Dynasty’: Phil Robertson Suspended Indefinitely Following Gay Remarks  (Read 4432 times)

Offline happyg

By AJ Marechal

Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson has been placed on indefinite filming hiatus from the reality program following his controversial remarks in GQ magazine regarding homosexuality.

A+E Networks, parent company of  A&E, has released the following statement to Variety:

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community.”

As noted in a previous Variety article, Robertson discusses in his GQ  interview his religious beliefs and about sin, saying, “start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.” Then, the GQ writer paraphrases Corinthians saying, “don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Robertson added in the interview, “It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

“Duck Dynasty” has been a ratings juggernaut for A&E, recently drawing around 9 million viewers for its Christmas special. Gurney Prods.-produced program can move on without Phil Robertson attached to the series, as the bearded men at the center of the Robertson clan include Jase, Willie and Uncle Si, among others.
http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/duck-dynasty-ae-suspends-phil-robertson-following-gay-remarks-1200974473/

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Will Phil apologize and retract his statements?..... :2popcorn:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Duck Dynasty star refuses to back down on ‘anti-gay’ remarks
by John-Henry Westen

"...Media outlets slammed Robertson’s comments as “bashing gays” and “anti-gay”. And homosexual activist group GLAAD said, “Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to re-examine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families."

Robertson issued a response to the controversy that reinforced his point rather than backed down from it. "I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior,” he said today. “My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.”

Robertson concluded, “However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Robertson is not the only public personality defending his remarks. Fox News & Commentary host Todd Starnes took to Twitter to say, “Mainstream Media STUNNED to find out that Duck Dynasty staff believes in the teachings of the Bible.”  He added later, “Shouldn’t Americans be allowed to hold personal beliefs -- even if you don't agree with them?”
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/duck-dynasty-star-refuses-to-back-down-on-anti-gay-remarks#

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
GLAAD controls most of the US media.  When they say "do this" the media will instantly respond.  This is why you see so many homo characters.  They forced The Walking Dead to add some.  So the show added two lesbians.  In the next episode, one ran away following a gun battle, and the other got shot right in the head by a 12 year old girl during the same battle.

Time for DD to move its show to CMT and away from A&E.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:06:13 am by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

I'm going to get pilloried for this, but if Robertson had ridiculed the Jewish practice of circumcision, A and E would be within its rights to suspend him for that.

Corporations do not like controversy, especially when it involves segments of its audience or potential customer base.

You work for me, you follow my rules.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:13:01 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Will Phil apologize and retract his statements?..... :2popcorn:

I don't think that he will.

They (all concerned...network included) are content with the ratings appealing to their chosen audience.  Along the same attitude NBC takes in marketing MSNBC cable.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline kevindavis007

I'm going to get pilloried for this, but if Robertson had ridiculed the Jewish practice of circumcision, A and E would be within its rights to suspend him for that.

Corporations do not like controversy, especially when it involves segments of its audience or potential customer base.

You work for me, you follow my rules.

That is correct..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline flowers

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/duck-dynastys-phil-robertson-indefinite-666808

A&E has placed Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson on indefinite hiatus following anti-gay remarks he made in a recent profile in GQ.

We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty," A&E said in a statement. "His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

The news comes after Robertson compared homosexuality to bestiality in an interview with the magazine. He'll likely appear in season four, which bows Jan. 15, since production is largely wrapped.

“It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man’s anus," Robertson says in the January issue of the men's magazine. "That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

PHOTOS: 'Duck Dynasty,' Matthew McConaughey, 'Breaking Bad' and the Rule Breakers of 2013

During a discussion about repentance and God, Robertson is asked what he finds sinful.

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there," he says. "Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

He goes on to paraphrase Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

GLAAD on Wednesday condemned his remarks as "some of the vilest and most extreme statements uttered against LGBT people in a mainstream publication" and said "his quote was littered with outdated stereotypes and blatant misinformation."

"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe," GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz said. "He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans -- and Americans -- who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors, who now need to re-examine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families."

Offline flowers

'Duck Dynasty' leaves Phil tired of filming, so what about season 5?

Duck Dynasty” season four finale means the fans now wait for the next “Duck Dynasty” season to roll out, but is the show going to be renewed? It would be ludicrous for the “Duck Dynasty” series to go off the air after it has gained such a popularity among all age groups. What are the Robertson folks feeling about another season of their family life displayed on film?

According to Reality TV Magazine on Nov. 1, season four might have seemed a bit too short for the fans. The fans aren’t wrong, the season was shorter than normal for A&E’s most popular show. “Duck Dynasty’s” Jase addressed the short season recently on his Facebook page:

“Season 4 seemed a bit shorter than usual because…it was. However, we added another season to the filming cycle so actually there will be more total episodes when all is completed. The success of the show can be attributed to your support.”

This means the Robertson family will grace the TV screen with new episodes of “Duck Dynasty,” according to Jase anyway, but what about A&E and the rest of the Robertson family? A&E is advertising a special "Duck Dynasty" Christmas special on December 11 at 9p.m. ET.

Phil Robertson recently made a comment that he was “tired of taping the show” and that comment, along with no official announcement of another season as of yet from A&E, had folks wondering what the fate of TV’s favorite redneck family would be.

Miss Kay recently addressed Phil’s comment saying that her husband is going to be just fine after “getting in some much needed hunting time.” With Jase saying that more episodes are on the way and Miss Kay’s hints about Phil getting a cure for his crankiness over filming “Duck Dynasty,” all there is to do now is wait for A&E’s official announcement.

The show is way too young for any of the Robertson's to jump ship, there's so much more fan's need to learn about this family! Check out Uncle Si's golf lesson on the video above, what would the world do if Uncle Si went into retirement?

http://www.examiner.com/article/duck-dynasty-leaves-phil-tired-of-filming-so-what-about-season-5

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ Corporations do not like controversy, especially when it involves segments of its audience or potential customer base.
You work for me, you follow my rules. ]]

Seems that those Duck Dynasty guys actually have -their own- corporation, do they not?

It's also worth mentioning that the (in your words) "corporations" (the broadcast networks) have no problems with controversy, so long as the "controversy" attacks or smears conservatives and conservative doctrine. It's only when someone speaks out against -liberal orthodoxy-, that it becomes so "controversial" that it can't be shown on tv.

Although when it comes down to the brass tacks, it's really PROFITS that the corporations care about.

I hope Mr. Robertson sticks to his guns.

If A&E doesn't want Duck Dynasty, and all the revenue it brings in, someone else will.

Offline sinkspur

The new update in Variety is that he has been fired.

But, from what I've read in the last 30 minutes, Phil Robertson was tired of doing this show and wanted to leave.

So what better way to leave?  Endear yourself to your devotees, but say just the right thing to make yourself a martyr so you'll be popular among the people you want to be popular with.

Offline Dengar01

GLAAD controls most of the US media.  When they say "do this" the media will instantly respond.  This is why you see so many homo characters.  They forced The Walking Dead to add some.  So the show added two lesbians.  In the next episode, one ran away following a gun battle, and the other got shot right in the head by a 12 year old girl during the same battle.

That was epic when the girl shot her! Was totally not expecting the kids to come to the rescue! It angers me that they added a lesbian character because of outside pressure groups.  Just like every commercial has to have a black person in it.

As far as Duck Dynasty goes they would make a ton of money by creating their own channel IMO like Glenn Beck's Blaze or like you said switch to CMT.  I can clearly tell you that gays are going to be watching Bravo not Duck Dynasty.

However, he did give them the ammo these groups have been desperately looking for since the show began. 

Offline kevindavis007

They can make it an internet only show.  That is the future.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline sinkspur

Exactly.  The Robertsons have all kinds of options. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

CMT is owned by Viacom which owns MTV, Bravo, Logo and other bastions of morality.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Then the Outdoor Channel.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Dengar01

I agree look at the success of shows on Netflix? I buy movies on Amazon which I can watch on my computer, iPhone, iPad, and my home television whenever or wherever I am. 

My Comcast let's me watch live tv on my phone, computer or tablet wherever I am. 

The only problem for Duck Dynasty is I imagine there is a larger older demographics.  People like my dad who would have no clue how to work the technology. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I am sure the rest of the family is under contract  with A&E unless they sign year to year....if that is the case they are stuck there until their contract is up...with all the revenue they bring in A&E probably will hold them to it..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

I guess this is one time libs don't like the UN?

“Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.”
― United Nations, Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Offline Cincinnatus

Hold the phone. Is this a bigoted statement?

Phil Robertson recently made a comment that he was “tired of taping the show” and that comment, along with no official announcement of another season as of yet from A&E, had folks wondering what the fate of TV’s favorite redneck family would be.

Ought I, as a white person, be offended? If yes, to whom do I whine?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline ABX

Offline Rapunzel

I just read on Facebook the A&E website has crashed from all the fans of DD going there to give them a piece of their minds about this...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Sarah Palin
Free speech is an endangered species. Those “intolerants” hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us.

DW Ulsterman
"UPDATE: Here is an actual quote from the GQ article that prompted A&E to “indefinitely suspend” Phil Robertson:

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

The entire article is actually a great read, an insightful, humorous, and at times very serious look at one of the most famous families in America. Makes one wonder of the A&E executives even read it, or just caved right quick to the pressure from the far left regressive nanny state whiners who want to remove all right to a real opinion in this country?"

Herman Cain
This crap is out of control.
A&E suspends Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson for agreeing with the Bible
www.caintv.com

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

Makes one wonder of the A&E executives even read it, or just caved right quick to the pressure from the far left regressive nanny state whiners who want to remove all right to a real opinion in this country?"
As we used to say when talking about the shenanigans at TOS, "Facts don't matter."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Sums it up pretty well, DC.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:44:19 pm by Rapunzel »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald