Author Topic: The Reason GOP is Not Going after the IRS for Harassing Tea Party Groups  (Read 953 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

A piece which accurately summarizes what any number of us have been saying for quite some time now. The GOPe is worthless because there is no real difference between them and the Democrats. It's all a question of who is to be plundered and who is to be rewarded with the resultant swag.

Two seemingly unrelated articles caught my attention. Here’s the first one: “Wall Street Journal columnist Kimberly Strassel noted on Friday [Dec. 13] that Barack Obama and the IRS have a new plan to target Tea Party groups in advance of the 2014 elections. During Thanksgiving week, the Treasury Department announced a proposal to limit the political activity of 501(c)(4) groups.”

One would think that Republicans in Congress would be outraged. The silence is deafening.

We know that the IRS was going after conservative groups, many of which were associated with the newly formed Tea Party movement. It was a big story for a time, and then it seemed to die.

Why haven’t Republicans made an issue of this unconstitutional and possibly criminal scandal? Stories have come out showing that officials in the IRS had gotten instructions from the top to slow down the approval process of Tea Party groups.

Now we know why the GOP has let the IRS off the hook. Establishment Republicans and their lobbyists hate the Tea Party, but for different reasons.

Republicans like pork as much as the Democrats do, and their lobbyists will do anything to stop anybody who gets in their way to bring home the fattened political bacon. Tony Lee at Breitbart reports on the second one:

Lobbyists are reportedly ‘pumping their fists’ over House Speaker John Boehner's declaration of war against the Tea Party last week.

“According to The Hill, lobbyists were ‘pleasantly surprised by’ Boehner's ‘strident remarks’ last week in which he said Tea Party groups have lost ‘all credibility’ after they opposed the budget compromise that increased taxes. Tea Party Patriots co-founder Jenny Beth Martin said Boehner's words were a declaration of war on grassroots conservatives.”

When American bank robber Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks, his answer was simple: “That’s where the money is.” Lobbyists know if you want tens of millions of dollars, you go to Washington,

The GOP may be against individual welfare, but they are whole hog for corporate welfare. Lobbyists are permanent fixtures in Washington hoping to get their slice of the tax-payer income-tax pie. It’s no wonder that the area around DC area is ground zero for our nation’s Super Zips.“A Washington Post analysis of the latest census data shows that more than a third of Zip codes in the D.C. metro area rank in the top 5 percent nationally for income and education.”

So it’s no wonder that Boehner and other Establishment Republicans are attacking the Tea Party and not stopping the IRS from bullying conservative groups.

Republicans like Boehner and Ryan know were the money is. While it's politically conservatively correct to attack liberal pork, it's a whole other thing to attack GOP pork. Now you're meddling.

http://godfatherpolitics.com/13608/reason-gop-going-irs-harassing-tea-party-groups/ [emphasis added]

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline flowers

bkmk

Oceander

Which is why conservatives - and all those who are genuinely concerned with individual liberty - should be as suspicious of big business as they are of big government.  It's the size, as much as it is the ideology, that kills you.

Offline Cincinnatus

Just as soon big business can fine me or put me in jail, or worse, for refusing to obey its commands, I will begin to be as concerned about it as I am big government.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Oceander

Just as soon big business can fine me or put me in jail, or worse, for refusing to obey its commands, I will begin to be as concerned about it as I am big government.

They can; it's called crony capitalism, or regulatory capture if you want a more high falutin' word.  Who do you think played a big role in getting you fined if you don't have democrat-party approved health insurance:  the big insurance companies, for one.

Who do you think played a big role in taking away all the incandescent lightbulbs?  GE.

Offline Cincinnatus

Get real, Oceander.

Big business may be in bed with big government but it's usually to further its own economic interests. Only big government has the authority to wage war, forcibly extract tribute called taxes, require people to behave a certain way or face sanctions ranging from financial penalties to incarceration, and so on. There may be a close working relationship between big business and big government but the latter alone has a monopoly on force.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Get real, Oceander.

Big business may be in bed with big government but it's usually to further its own economic interests. Only big government has the authority to wage war, forcibly extract tribute called taxes, require people to behave a certain way or face sanctions ranging from financial penalties to incarceration, and so on. There may be a close working relationship between big business and big government but the latter alone has a monopoly on force.

It depends how you define force.

Regarding the bolded bit - since when have big businesses not done that? You work for them, you follow their rules, or you don't work for them any more at worst, miss a bonus at best. Break a big enough rule (none disclosure agreements, for example) and you will be arrested and vigorously pursued through the court system.

I wrote a comedy article about corporate greenwashing, where big business pretend to give a crap about the environment without actually doing anything. Bear in mind, it ran on a comedy and satire site, not on a respected media site. Within 20 minutes of it going live, I received (personally) a take down notice from one of the named companies. Told them to take it up with the copyright holder - that was the last I heard of it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Get real, Oceander.

Get real?  Physician, heal thyself.  A "close working relationship" is a bland, pleasant way to describe corporatism and crony capitalism, but it's also disingenuous.  As an analogy, try this on for size:  the mob boss may call for a man to be killed, but it's only the street soldiers who have the guns and do the killing.  Who's in charge, the boss, who doesn't have the guns, or the street soldiers, who do have the guns?  Who's responsible for the murder, the mob boss, who may have even phrased his order indirectly, as in "it would be a shame if anything were to happen to Johnny, even though he's betrayed me and stolen from me," or the street soldier who pulled the trigger?

The relationship is not a "close working relationship," it's an incestuous relationship in which the politicians wield their control over the reins of government, including the state's monopoly on force, for the benefit of big business in exchange for acquiescence to the politicians' political agendas and financial backing to help keep the politicians in power.

Here's a question:  recall Dodd-Frank, the supposedly hard-core new financial regulatory laws that are, we've been told, going to make it impossible for those nefarious bankers to cause another 2008.  That puts the kibosh on the shenanigans of the big banks and leaves the virtuous little banks alone, doesn't it?  No, it doesn't.  Instead, it imposes onerous new compliance costs on all banks, big and small.  The big banks, for all that it looks as if they're being punished, can handle those compliance costs readily because they already have a phalanx of lawyers, accountants, and other staff needed to manage what amounts to just one more compliance exercise.  Furthermore, the big banks exercise enough market power that they can effectively pass the economic cost of those new compliance measures on to their customers, either in the form of additional or higher fees, or indirectly in the form of lower interest paid on deposits.

By contrast, the regional and local banks, which are also subject to all the new compliance measures, have a harder time of it because the new rules substantially increase their compliance costs, costs which they cannot pass on to their customers as readily because they don't have the necessary market power to do so; they also have a greater need to maintain good long-term relationships with their customers, including their small and medium-sized customers, a need that the large multinational banks don't have other than with their large multinational customers.

So, who's really getting hurt by the plethora of new regulations under Dodd-Frank?  The regional and local banks; that is, the banks that were not responsible for the mortgage and securitization eff-ups that contributed so mightily to the 2008 crash.  Effectively, Dodd-Frank has imposed additional burdens on regional and local banks that make it harder for them to compete with the large banks.  In other words, at the cost of going along with Dodd-Frank and its compliance costs, the large banks have bought themselves an additional layer of protection against any real competition from regional and local banks.  So, the politicians win - they get to look tough, play to their base, and reduce the odds of opposition from the big fish in the economic waters - and the big banks win - they get increased protection from competition and they get further access to the political bureaucracy that will allow them to get further tidbits of favors in the form of particularly favorable rulings on various administrative issues, as well as exemptions from some particularly onerous rule, that the little banks will never get - and the regional and local banks, and us, the retail banking customers?  We lose.  The regional and local banks get hit with significant new compliance costs they can ill-afford and which basically punish them for something they didn't do in the first place - contribute to the 2008 financial mess - and the rest of us get to pay higher fees and receive lower interest on our deposits.

And where do the government's guns come into play?  Why, in enforcing the new rules, which enforcement simply cements the advantages the big banks purchased with their role in helping to create Dodd-Frank.  In other words, like the mob boss, who gets the benefit of the street soldiers' guns without ever wielding one himself, the big banks get the benefits of the government's threat of force without ever wielding that threat themselves.

Get real?  Yeah, get real.

Offline Cincinnatus

I am quite pleased that the American people tend to agree with me on this issue.

A new Gallup poll finds 72 percent of Americans feel big government poses a greater threat to the United States in the future than big business or big labor, a record high since the polling outfit began asking the question nearly 50 years ago.

The response suggests that far-reaching government policies, such as ObamaCare, along with recent revelations of NSA spying tactics, have helped raise concerns among Americans, the company said Wednesday.

"(The findings) may be partly a reaction to an administration that favors the use of government to solve problems," Gallup wrote.

Big government has always topped business and labor as a concern since Gallup began asking the question in 1965, but its previous high was 65 percent in 1999 and 2000, before the Sept. 11 attacks helped rally American support for government institutions and officials.

During the Obama era, big government fears have increased steadily, from 55 percent in March 2009 to 64 percent in November 2011 to Wednesday's finding. Since Obama took office, an average of 64 percent of Americans have named big government as the nation's greatest threat, compared to an average of 56 percent during George W. Bush's presidency.

The pattern is largely driven along partisan lines, as Republicans are more likely to be concerned about the size and power of government, a fear that's amplified during a Democratic presidency, Gallup said. Democrats are more likely to see government as a threat while a Republican is in office, but they typically see government as less threatening than Republicans.

In the survey released Wednesday, 92 percent of Republicans named government as America's greatest threat, compared with 56 percent of Democrats.

The poll also found 21 percent believe big business is the nation's greatest threat, while the 5 percent who fear labor's influence marks a record low for the poll, an indication of the labor movement's decline over the past several decades, the company said.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/166535/record-high-say-big-government-greatest-threat.aspx

Now if we could only persuade them to vote this way.

Offline Rapunzel

I am quite pleased that the American people tend to agree with me on this issue.

Now if we could only persuade them to vote this way.

Not going to happen - Big Government loves Big Government and will never vote to usurp their power... and you have too many faux Republicans who are happy with this power given over to their electees.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776