Author Topic: If China's Airspace Grab Turns Violent  (Read 711 times)

Offline xfreeper

If China's Airspace Grab Turns Violent
« on: December 18, 2013, 03:12:34 pm »
Last week China announced a new air defense identification zone over the East China Sea, basically insisting it's in charge of the airspace over the disputed Senkaku Islands claimed by Japan.

Japan and the United States said they would not recognize the ID zone and promptly sent in warplanes to underscore the point. U.S. B-52 bombers flew over the Senkakus, practically inviting a Chinese intervention.

Two days later, the Chinese air force flew J-11 and Su-30 fighters and a KJ-2000 radar plane into the zone.

With tensions mounting, I decided to see what might happen if the maneuvers escalated into actual combat. In my scenario, played out in the ultra-realistic computer game Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations (C:MANO), Beijing decides to teach Tokyo a lesson -- and opens fire on the Japanese planes. When three of the world's most high-tech air arms meet in simulated battle, the results might surprise you.

http://complex.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/12/02/if_china_s_airspace_grab_turns_violent#sthash.ijv4D1AO.78g8zSJo.dpbs

Offline xfreeper

Re: If China's Airspace Grab Turns Violent
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:13:44 pm »
I expect there would be more F22's in the fight

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:27:57 pm »
I expect there would be more F22's in the fight

I expect the United States would surrender.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:48:51 pm »
Reminds me of the late 30s, early 40s, when Japanese and American naval ships used to challenge one another, sometimes resulting in actual collisions between ships. In those days we wouldn't back down. Today we might.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams