Author Topic: Beatles 1963 rarities released  (Read 790 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Beatles 1963 rarities released
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:46 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25413838

17 December 2013 Last updated at 10:09 ET

Beatles 1963 rarities released

Most of the recordings were made during the Please Please Me sessions

Unreleased outtakes, demos and BBC sessions by The Beatles from 1963 have been released on iTunes.

The 59 tracks have been released on iTunes to stop them falling out of copyright and into the public domain.

EU copyright law covers recordings for 70 years if they have had an official release or 50 years if they have not.

The 2-disc set was apparently released, then removed, early on Tuesday, causing speculation it was only being published briefly to extend the copyright period.

Fans posted screenshots of the collection on the New Zealand iTunes store, along with links which later became invalid.

Online reports suggested the same thing had happened in Australia, Russia and Saudi Arabia - although the EU's copyright laws would not apply in any of these territories.

However, the full album appeared on the UK iTunes store shortly after 14:00 GMT. The BBC has been told the songs will remain on the site "indefinitely".

Demo versions

Gathering together live material and recording session offcuts, the compilation includes four alternate takes of She Loves You, two of From Me To You and several live versions of Roll Over Beethoven.

It also features three attempts at There's A Place, as well as demos of two songs the group gave to other artists - Paul McCartney and John Lennon's acoustic version of Bad to Me and Lennon's piano demo of I'm in Love.

The tracks had been widely bootlegged, but never officially released until now.

After a recent change in the law, the master tape for The Beatles' 1963 debut album Please Please Me is protected by copyright until 2033, but the unreleased session tapes for that album are not.

If the Beatles chose not to release the recordings before the end of the year, other record labels could theoretically put them out and profit from them next year.

The band's 1962 debut single Love Me Do arguably slipped out of copyright last year before the EU's copyright extension was signed into law.

At least one record company issued a "remastered" version of the song, although that has since been deleted.

The copyright law in question only covers the recordings - the composition of the songs remains the copyright of the songwriter for 70 years after his or her death.

The Beatles are not the first band to issue rare material in a bid to extend copyright.

Bob Dylan's record label rushed out 100 copies of an album last year containing early TV performances, alongside multiple versions of Blowin' in the Wind, Bob Dylan's Dream and I Shall Be Free.

Officially called The 50th Anniversary Collection, it carried a subtitle which explained its true purpose: The Copyright Extension Collection, Vol. 1.

A second volume followed this year, while Motown has also begun issuing rare recordings on iTunes under the Motown Unreleased banner.

video at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Beatles 1963 rarities released
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:33:05 pm »
There were dozens of good bands in the UK, USA, etc. near the same time. What moved them to the top, for the following decades?

50 years ago this week, The Beatles were on top in the UK, with

#1  I Want To Hold Your Hand
and
#2  She Loves You

One person in 2000 conducted a poll ranking the British groups.

http://www.geocities.com/~fabgear/results.htm

Results:

1 The Beatles

2 The Rolling Stones

3 The Kinks

4 The Searchers

5 The Dave Clark Five

6 The Who

7 The Hollies (from whence cameth Graham Nash)

8 The Animals

9 Gerry & The Pacemakers

10 The Yardbirds (from whence cameth Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:43:36 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 10:45:30 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:47:02 pm »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 07:21:04 pm »
The problem with unreleased outtakes and demos is they rarely sound just like the song that has been burned into your memory, so you are almost always  disappointed with the version.   I watched a documentary awhile back on Led Zeppelin, and while it was a great documentary, all the music they played for the program were demos and outtakes, and they sounded awful.  Sounded like a garage band playing LZ music.   I probably would never lay down money for an outtakes album. I’ll leave them for the true collectors.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn