Author Topic: The Selling of Attention Deficit Disorder (how the number of diagnoses soared)  (Read 369 times)

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Rapunzel

A good example of this is Lindsay Lohan who received a diagnosis of ADHD and adrenal... which coincidentally helps you lose weight, too.  Her last rehab evaluated her and said she isn't A DVD and weined her off Adetsl, reports lately says she's back on it.  Another Adetsl druggie in addition to hard drugs is Charlie Sheens last ex.. schools insisting kids take these drugs are pushing an entire new generation of prescription drug addicts..

Offline GourmetDan

I heard there is some new migraine drug that suppresses appetite as a side-effect.

Lots of women are using it to lose weight without being hungry.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
ADHD does get over-diagnosed.  I suspect that, with respect to high-school age children (15% of whom have been diagnosed according to the article), some of the diagnoses are at the behest of parents who want to give their kids an unfair advantage at school - ritalin doesn't have its reputation as the study drug for nothing.

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
I'm afraid we have an entire generation or two of children who have been overprescribed Ritalin and Adderall. Who knows what the consequences will be.
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
Ritalin is a stimulant for "normal people."  For "normal people" incorrectly diagnosed with ADD, Ritalin acts as a stimulant.

For correctly diagnosed ADD people, Ritalin does NOT act as a stimulant, however.

So 10% of the students are walking around taking a stimulant which works similar to methamphetamine, cocaine, etc.

I wonder if any campus killers were on Ritalin?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.ďż˝  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf