Author Topic: Do Eleves even make these? Dad of Aspie scratching head over Christmas List.  (Read 810 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

I mentioned on several threads that my 12 year old son has Autism Spectrum Disorder (Aspergers). Very common with Aspies is to have  an unusual obsession, in his case fire alarms and sirens. He not only has had this obsession for several years, he knows so much about them. He can tell you the brand of  just about any you could point out. Anyway I'll let you get inside an Aspie's head for a moment by reading his Christmas list to Santa.

1. Pull Station Fire Alarm (The one he got last Christmas  was not enough)
2. Monopoly Game  (We have one already)
3.  Yo Yo (he has one already and he rarely plays with it)
4. Genesis Speaker-Strobe  fire alarm
5. Metal Detector (OK not a bad choice, I want one too)
6. Bassoon (he has a new fascination for this instrument, but I'm still paying rent on his clarinet)
7. Mega Bassoon  (Don't know what one is, but willing to bet its bigger that #6
8. Laptop (Aint happening. We got 2 computers in the house)
9. Siren with Hand Crank

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

So I don't leave anyone hanging, what he is getting is a Ping Pong Table, something that he asked for long ago when we played one at a vacation condo. I like playing also. Also a Marx Collectable Fort Apache play set, and I may just think about that metal detector.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It is a very detailed list, isn't it!

Small suggestion, but it does depend how good your son is around people. (Have to ask, some Aspies are fine some are not with strangers or crowds.)

Why not talk to the local Fire Department? See if they mind him hanging out with them for the day and helping out around the station. Most FD's are pretty cool with that - they are good folks who like kids in the main. Or if your town has a warning siren, find out when it is to be tested/maintained and see if you and your son can do a ride along.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

He's done that actually, with the scouts.   He also has a real fire helmet he bought with his own money from an antique store, and a “ kids” fireman raincoat. When a fire engine or paramedics come into our neighborhood, he puts them on and races down the street. This always leads to an invite onto the truck.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
That just gave me a massive and much needed smile!  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink