Author Topic: Lots of atheists, more Muslims, fewer Christians and Jews: this is the new America  (Read 3583 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100250598/lots-of-atheists-more-muslims-fewer-christians-and-jews-this-is-the-new-america/

Lots of atheists, more Muslims, fewer Christians and Jews: this is the new America

By Damian Thompson Religion Last updated: December 16th, 2013

Drifting towards atheism: the Washington Post's overview map

The Washington Post has produced six massively detailed maps showing the religious make-up of America. The main map is above – if you want to enlarge it you'll have to click through to the Post's report here. The author/analyst, Niraj Chokshi, has uncovered some fascinating material – most of it lurking in the 2010 US Religion Census (data submitted by congregations, not the official US Census) but so much more surprising set out in map form. And here's an example.

Did you know there are – possibly – now more religious Muslims than religious Jews in Florida? I know, it seems incredible. Miami Beach has had 15 Jewish mayors, there are getting on for 200 synagogues in South Florida – and, of course, it was the hunting ground of the despicable Bernie Madoff. But here's a section from the map of Eastern states, grouped by region:

continued....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Poor atheists think they are being 'rational' when they have simply accepted a different 'a priori' belief.

They are no more 'rational' than the believers that they despise, and are arguably less so...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:07:08 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline SouthTexas

What color denotes atheists and Muslim?

Surprised they didn't get more of the gray, none of your business, responses.

Oceander

The WaPo article isn't nearly as sensationalized as this article implies.  At any rate, here's the "non-christian" map:

and here's the breakdown of US counties by dominant christian denomination:

Oceander

What color denotes atheists and Muslim?

Surprised they didn't get more of the gray, none of your business, responses.

The map in the original post only reflects christian denominations.  There doesn't appear to be a map that compares all denominations, christian and non-christian.

Oceander

Poor atheists thing they are being 'rational' when they have simply accepted a different 'a priori' belief.

They are no more 'rational' than the believers that they despise, and are arguably less so...

Very true.

Offline olde north church

Do you believe in "God" or do you "Believe Jesus Christ is your Lord and Save-yore?".  To some, anything beside the latter is "atheist". 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online mountaineer

It's okay to say "saviour."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

Do you believe in "God" or do you "Believe Jesus Christ is your Lord and Save-yore?".  To some, anything beside the latter is "atheist".

I am most curious why you have such a negative opinion of religion.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 06:07:44 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline NavyCanDo

Funny how protestant  non-denomination churches are ignored.   Here in the NW, if you drive by a Church that sits more than 700 people at each service, you are probably driving by one of these mega non-denomination churches.  Lots of other denominations splintered off decades ago from Lutheran, Presbyterian and Baptist are also not recognized on the chart.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

I am most curious why you have such a negative opinion of religion.

I don't.  Just seem to think it's a bit odd that one religion would attempt to lay claim as the "true" religion or the "true God". 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I don't.  Just seem to think it's a bit odd that one religion would attempt to lay claim as the "true" religion or the "true God".
Odd? Charges that others' faiths are hellishly wrong seems to be a central aspect of most religions.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

I believe God exists, I don't think he cares where or how we choose to worship. 

Just out of curiosity are you Jewish?  I only ask because I realize they don't recognize Jesus because they don't believe he fulfilled Messianic Prophecies or embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah as prophet and the Messiah has not come yet.  I remember when I was just a child having a neighbor who was Jewish and having a lot of conversations with him about this as we were out riding horses in the desert - strange conversations for kids to have, but I remember them to this day.  His Judaism was so foreign to me that I was fascinated hearing his explanations of his religion.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Just out of curiosity are you Jewish?  I only ask because I realize they don't recognize Jesus because they don't believe he fulfilled Messianic Prophecies or embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah as prophet and the Messiah has not come yet.  I remember when I was just a child having a neighbor who was Jewish and having a lot of conversations with him about this as we were out riding horses in the desert - strange conversations for kids to have, but I remember them to this day.  His Judaism was so foreign to me that I was fascinated hearing his explanations of his religion.

Actually, I'm not Jewish, although I have always found the Old Testament to be more comforting that the New.  Don't care too much for the dietary restrictions.  There's another aspect I have in common but not good to discuss in mixed company but was more in my parent's hands, if you pardon the expression, than mine.
I would be Zoroastrian, but they frown on conversion.  They believe, the religion you are born is the "correct one" as God (Ahura Mazda) doesn't make mistakes. 

I gave this a more thought (I'm wont to pick at loose strings!).  It's not Christ I have the problems with as much as those who claim to be "Christian".  Those, who in their zeal to be the perfect Christian, miss the mark entirely.
For example, as I have mentioned previously, Christ wasn't mocking the Pharisees simply because they were an easy target.  It was a warning as to what not to become and it's fallen upon deaf ears.  A crystal cathedral?  A televangical empire?  For whom?  It sure isn't for His glory.
On this forum, how many denied the TRUE meaning of His teachings and conveniently forgotten who He did choose for examples.  Many would deny His outreach to Zacchaeus, the tax collector?  The adulteress, at her stoning?  The Centurion with the sick servant (which, by the way is one of my favorite parables.).  Dismas, upon His own crucifixion, addressed the thief.
But no, we have "Limbaugh the Clever", weighing in with His own sense of infallibility.  To deny the tenet of Christian charity and it's social requirement is to turn one's back on a cornerstone of God's law.  One doesn't give charity as an indulgence, to cleanse one's conscience, an act comparable to Martin Sheen sleeping on a sewer grate for one night but to deprive oneself of luxury or comfort for the long term.  That is the point of a wealthy man not being able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Additionally (apologies, this is just the way my mind works these days), if one believes Christ died for our sins, what do we forsake when we are asked to surrender our material possessions?  This is why it's incomprehensible to the human mind to follow in His footsteps.

Oceander

Should one continue to give one's material possessions to the "poor" if the "poor" are those who simply choose not to work to support themselves and instead prefer to live off of the charity of others?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Should one continue to give one's material possessions to the "poor" if the "poor" are those who simply choose not to work to support themselves and instead prefer to live off of the charity of others?

There needs to be an honest national dialogue on the difference between "a leg up" and "a hammock".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

There needs to be an honest national dialogue on the difference between "a leg up" and "a hammock".

I quite agree.  However, for the present purposes I'm interested in knowing what the Christian perspective on the question is.

Offline GourmetDan

That's why charity was historically a local, private effort.  Those who are closest to the 'problem' are best equipped to assess it.

Moving it to a national obligation is the problem, and it isn't 'solvable' at that level...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Are you giving to charity for the sake of charity, what difference does it make?  If you're going to give to charity, shouldn't it be unconditional.  If someone is taking advantage of the charity of others, that is between God and the person taking advantage  It shouldn't be to keep score, let not the right hand know.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Are you giving to charity for the sake of charity, what difference does it make?  If you're going to give to charity, shouldn't it be unconditional.  If someone is taking advantage of the charity of others, that is between God and the person taking advantage  It shouldn't be to keep score, let not the right hand know.

You may be right, but.....I keep thinking of the TRULY needy family that was next in line and will go hungry or homeless or not get the proper medications.

Why should I accept any of that guilt?

I give $$$ directly to the person in need. 

I play a game in my head that it's Jesus in disguise....just to test me.   LOL!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

Not really.

We are to be wise stewards of our resources, not blind automatons helping to lock others into destructive lifestyles...

Not really.

We are to be wise stewards of our resources, not blind automatons helping to lock others into destructive lifestyles...

Are we to wait until all are dead and then pick which we could have saved?

Offline Rapunzel

That's why charity was historically a local, private effort.  Those who are closest to the 'problem' are best equipped to assess it.

Moving it to a national obligation is the problem, and it isn't 'solvable' at that level...

Moving anything other than national defense to the national level is the problem.