Author Topic: Our Bored President By Ed Lasky  (Read 261 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Our Bored President By Ed Lasky
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »

Support the USO

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Our Bored President By Ed Lasky
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »
Something I have said before and will say again. Due to a somewhat strange life, I have been given the chance to meet and speak to 2 presidents (G W Bush and Bill Clinton), a former VP candidate (Sarah Palin), a wildly successful Governor (Rick Perry) and a former Mayor of New York (Rudy Guilliani). That's just the USA.

"It is very rare I come to an event where I'm like the fifth or sixth most interesting person."

That pull quote makes me sick to my stomach.

You know what every single one of those people I met did? While we talked - over dinner, in a diner, standing at a duty station or wherever - every single one of them made whoever they were talking to at the time the most interesting person in the room. Not one of them made it about them - it was about us.

The Worm doesn't get that. He never will understand that, to the Marine holding his umbrella during some fatuous speech, the Worm is a bit player in the Marine's life story. NOT the other way around.

Edit to add: I have also talked to the current First Lady, one on one for about 10 minutes. Contrary to popular belief, she is rather charming. Unlike her husband.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:33:52 AM by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »

"It is very rare I come to an event where I'm like the fifth or sixth most interesting person."

If you think you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:50:24 AM by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
This essay was absolutely spot on. We don't have a president at all.
For some reason this line:
"buying insurance" is  actually complex -- one suspects he has never had to do it)
made me wonder about something. Is BHO the only president whose health is a complete mystery to us? Does he ever have checkups? We've always heard about presidential checkups and what, if anything, was found, e.g., Reagan's polyps. Is this not the most secretive administration in modern history?
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf