« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks.

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
This was brutal and very messily done, and if it was intended to send a message, it was a mixed message at best.

I am reminded of the scene in Game of Thrones where the new boy King Jeffery impulsively calls for the head of Ned Stark, not having any clue of the forces he was unleashing.  This looks more like a violent temper tantrum to me, and there is no telling what Un is going to do next, but I expect another nuclear weapons test any time now.  I'm pretty sure Jang was trying to rein in his impulsive nephew, and it cost him his head....

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »
This was brutal and very messily done, and if it was intended to send a message, it was a mixed message at best.

I am reminded of the scene in Game of Thrones where the new boy King Jeffery impulsively calls for the head of Ned Stark, not having any clue of the forces he was unleashing.  This looks more like a violent temper tantrum to me, and there is no telling what Un is going to do next, but I expect another nuclear weapons test any time now.  I'm pretty sure Jang was trying to rein in his impulsive nephew, and it cost him his head....

On the other hand, if you have a partial power base and are still vulnerable to attack from various powerful vested interests, it sometimes pays to be crazy like a fox.  I'm not saying that Un is smart enough that this is just crazy like a fox, but I can see some advantages to putting people off-balance by engaging in such a blatantly bloody purge - for example, some people who might be tempted to play nice and pretend to be more loyal than they actually are or to fence-sit or try to play both ends against the middle might have second thoughts if the craziness convinces them that they could lose their heads on more of a whim than a calculated hit.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 04:51:35 AM »
On the other hand, if you have a partial power base and are still vulnerable to attack from various powerful vested interests, it sometimes pays to be crazy like a fox.  I'm not saying that Un is smart enough that this is just crazy like a fox, but I can see some advantages to putting people off-balance by engaging in such a blatantly bloody purge - for example, some people who might be tempted to play nice and pretend to be more loyal than they actually are or to fence-sit or try to play both ends against the middle might have second thoughts if the craziness convinces them that they could lose their heads on more of a whim than a calculated hit.

Are we sure it was actually done at all?

Jang's job was to mentor Un. Maybe he decided himself that a nice theatrical purge and a swift "execution" was needed to finalize the transition of power. Because of the sheer showmanship of it, it's not beyond the bounds of reason that Jang is sipping margaritas under a new identity in a safe and comfortable compound somewhere.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
bkmk

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »

Paranoia along with the purgess worked for Stalin for 23 years. But when Operation Barbarossa came along he did not have any experienced officers because they were purged.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:33:44 PM by SPQR »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »
Are we sure it was actually done at all?

Jang's job was to mentor Un. Maybe he decided himself that a nice theatrical purge and a swift "execution" was needed to finalize the transition of power. Because of the sheer showmanship of it, it's not beyond the bounds of reason that Jang is sipping margaritas under a new identity in a safe and comfortable compound somewhere.

Were it anyplace other than North Korea, I might disagree; however, I find myself forced to agree that this is not outside the realm of possibility.

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf