Author Topic: ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’: Expert Warns Southern California Isn’t Ready For Major Quake  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Very quick derail, if you'll permit.

What's the snow forecast for Flagstaff this year? Used to have a link, but can't find it, and we were thinking of coming over in Feb for some skiing and to hit up the Canyon again.

Flagstaff has snow right now, but a lot of places I'd rather go skiing than outside Flagstaff.......  Mammoth in California or go to Colorado

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Thanks!

We like Flagstaff because it is handy for both Sonora (love that place, it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth) and the Canyon (mate of mine does helicopter flights over it and if they are not busy he throws me the keys to one of the choppers!) - plus the place we go has wickedly good slopes and a really good creche, while being cheaper than Colorado!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

I have never experienced an earthquake, and have always been curious about it.

I try to forget it but I have that scar to remind me.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:14:44 am by SPQR »

SPQR

But an article today said the caldera below Yellowstone Park could wipe out our country!!

There is one in the Mammoth Mountain  area which is an area of concern

Oceander

I am a goner in at least three possible scenarios.

1. Earthquake-I live near the Newport-Inglewood fault, source of the Long Beach 1933 quake, my home is built on liquefaction soil.

2. I live just barely above sea level, so a Tsunami would finish us off. Higher tides same result.

3. I live near a manmade river, and if the banks were breached, would flood us.

(in effect this low-lying area is reclaimed delta or estuary, the river contained in present banks, instead of meandering, every few seasons-a fairly common occurrence around the world)

Not to mention fires, wars, nuclear power plants, air pollution, and marauding hordes of evil gangs.

But an article today said the caldera below Yellowstone Park could wipe out our country!!

Just make sure you tell us where you want your flowers sent!
:bigsilly:

Oceander

The strangest experience of an earthquake I've heard was from my father.  He was in the basement of the US embassy in Mexico City when a minor earthquake struck.  He said that as the earthquake went through he felt like he was on a pitching boat and started to get seasick.  The embassy is built to be earthquake resistant and is essentially built like a boat so that it "floats" on the soil underneath it which used to be part of the lake that surrounded the Aztec city over which Mexico City was built.