Author Topic: Obama’s Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing  (Read 627 times)

Offline flowers

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/12/obamas-afghanistan-experts-stumped-us-death-toll-w/?page=all

President Obama’s brain trust on Afghanistan does not know much the U.S. spends on the war each year or the American cost in lost lives on the battlefield.

This embarrassing lack of basic knowledge from State Department and Pentagon experts on Afghanistan at a House hearing Wednesday prompted even a Democrat to say he was stunned.

PHOTOS: Take that, China — check out the U.S. Navy's nuclear submarines

The setting was the House Foreign Affairs Committee. The Issue: Afghanistan and the transition to fewer U.S. troops post-2014.

The witnesses: James F. Dobbins, State’s special representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan; Donald Sampler, assistant to the administrator, U.S. Agency for International Development, which provides civilian foreign aid; and Michael Dumont, deputy assistant secretary of defense for Afghanistan, Pakistan and Central Asia.

When it came time for Rep. Oceander Rohrabacher, California Republican, to quiz the witnesses, he asked what he thought was a simple question:

“How much are we spending annually in Afghanistan? How much is the cost to the American taxpayer?”

He was met with stone silence from the witness panel. Mr. Dobbins gestured to the other witnesses for the answer. They, too, came up empty.

“Anybody know?” Mr. Rohrabacker asked. “Nobody knows the total budget, what we’re spending in Afghanistan. It’s a hearing on Afghanistan. Can I have an estimate?

PHOTOS: Ladies' men: Presidents in hot demand with ladies at Mandela memorial

“I’m sorry, congressman,” Mr. Dobbins said.

Mr. Rohrabacker called the lack of an answer “disheartening.”

“How many killed and wounded have we suffered in the last 12 months,” he asked.

Again, none of the three had an answer. Mr. Dumont said he would get back to him.

“We’re supposed to believe you fellows have a plan that is going to end up in a positive way in Afghanistan,” the congressman said. “Holy cow.”

Rep. Gerald Connolly, Virginia Democrat, said he was stunned.

“I say to the panel, Mr. Rohrabacker is right. How you can come to a congressional oversight hearing on this subject, with your titles and not know how much we”re spending every year and not know how many casualties we incur this last year, I will say to chairman of this committee, is actually a stunning, stunning development.”

According to the Pentagon’s fiscal 2013 budget, it is spending about $88 billion this year to wage the war in Afghanistan. The State Department budget allocates $4.6 billion in aide and operations.

The U.S. has lost the lives of 118 service members this year, according to the website icasualties.org.

Offline rustynail

A quick review of the rules of engagement might give them some insight into the 'death toll'.