Author Topic: Heritage Action: Boehner picks fight to clear way for immigration  (Read 516 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/193068-heritage-action-boehner-picks-fight-to-clear-way-for-immigration

By Mario Trujillo - 12/13/13 10:00 AM EST

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is picking a fight with outside conservative groups to clear the way for immigration reform, Heritage Action CEO Michael Needham charged on Friday.

“The Speaker is trying to turn this into a boring fight between outside groups and himself so we are not having a policy debate about whether or not this is a good deal,” Needham said of the budget deal approve by the House on Thursday.

He said Boehner wanted to divert attention from the substance of the two-year budget deal by picking the fight.

"This deal increases spending, this deal increases taxes. And that is bad for the county and that is what we want to be focused on," Needham added in an interview on MSNBC. "The speaker also wants to clear the way for immigration reform next year.”

Heritage and other conservative groups harshly criticized the deal. The groups also “key-voted” the bill, meaning votes in favor of the legislation will be negatively scored.

Despite the pressure, most Republicans in the House supported the measure, handing Boehner and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who drew up the deal, a significant victory.

During a press conference Thursday, Boehner said outside groups had lost credibility by coming out against the deal before the final details had been released.

He also said they had little credibility because their pressure to tie the defunding of the healthcare law to a government funding bill had led to a government shutdown earlier this year.

The shutdown fight badly hurt Republicans, according to polls at the time. They party has made a comeback since the shutdown ended, partly because of the problems of political focus on the healthcare law.

Boehner also took a shot specifically at Needham, referring to the conservative strategy that led to the government shutdown in October.

“But if you'll recall the day before the government reopened, one of the people — one of these groups stood up and said, well, we never really thought it would work. Are you kidding me?” Boehner said.

Needham gave a Fox News interview in October where he said it was obvious that Republicans would not be able to repeal ObamaCare until President Obama was out of office. 

On Friday, Needham shot back at Boehner’s criticism.

“The Speaker is being absurd,” said Needham, who drew a distinction between the full repeal of ObamaCare and the delay or defunding of the law, which his group had been pushing. 

“If I thought we could repeal ObamaCare I would have spent the month of August on a repeal ObamaCare tour. We spent it on a defund tour,” he said.

Needham compared his group to companies like iTunes and Napster, which upended the music industry. 

“I think we are the iTunes of politics,” He said. “The establishment is very upset with the notion that there are people having conversations with their voters, and I think that is good for Democracy.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Heritage Action: Boehner picks fight to clear way for immigration
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 04:42:58 pm »
“The Speaker is being absurd,” said Needham, who drew a distinction between the full repeal of ObamaCare and the delay or defunding of the law, which his group had been pushing. 

“If I thought we could repeal ObamaCare I would have spent the month of August on a repeal ObamaCare tour. We spent it on a defund tour,” he said.

Uh, Scottie, you couldn't defund Obamacare either.  The fact that you thought you could reveals how out of touch with reality you and your group are. 

YOU are being absurd.  Republicans in the House are tired of your constant threats, scoring of votes, and confrontation.  That's why 169 of them voted for the budget deal.  Boehner's telling you your days of intimidation are over.  The focus needs to stay on the failures of Obamacare, not on an internicine battle over the budget. 

No doubt you're now going to try to stir up your donors over immigration, since you need a boiling pot to keep those cards and letters coming in.  Your primary reason for existence is not to further conservative policies, but to raise money.  And you need disagreement and rancor to achieve your financial goals.

The Republican House has decided to move on beyond you.  So has the rest of the Republican party, with the exception of the die-hard Tea Partiers.  Voters are tired of the fighting.  They want things done, not constant war. 

The goal of the GOP over the next year should be to win the Senate and keep the House.  Anybody or anything that gets in the way of that should be ignored.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Heritage Action: Boehner picks fight to clear way for immigration
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 04:51:54 pm »
Anybody or anything that gets in the way of that should be ignored.

Anybody or anything that gets in the way of that should be ignored rolled over like a discarded Dunkin Donuts cup on an Interstate highway fast lane.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx