Author Topic: Paul Ryan Takes a Step Toward House Speakership  (Read 655 times)

Offline flowers

Paul Ryan Takes a Step Toward House Speakership
« on: December 13, 2013, 05:56:22 pm »
http://www.nationaljournal.com/daily/paul-ryan-takes-a-step-toward-house-speakership-20131212

Paul Ryan's presidential prospects may have dimmed this week, but his future on Capitol Hill has never looked brighter.

The budget compromise he struck with Sen. Patty Murray, which passed the House on a lopsided 332-94 vote Thursday, had conservative activists and outside groups howling. That might one day curb Republican enthusiasm for Paul Ryan the presidential candidate.

But inside the dome, overwhelming support for Paul Ryan the policymaker—even from those voting against his proposal—armed him with a major legislative victory and a reputation as a bipartisan consensus-builder. That means bigger things may be on the horizon.

"Paul did astonishingly well. He was at a profound disadvantage in those negotiations, and I think he did amazingly well," said Rep. Trent Franks, an Arizona Republican who ultimately opposed the agreement.

Ryan was once believed to possess the singular ability to sell a budget compromise to even the most skeptical conservatives. Although he won over the vast majority of Republicans, that theory proved false—62 of Ryan's GOP comrades voted against his proposal. But what he did pull off—losing the votes of those Republicans, but not their respect and admiration—is perhaps even more impressive.

"I think he's been well-respected and he's going to stay well-respected," Rep. Jim Jordan, an Ohio Republican, said of Ryan before the final vote on Friday.

Jordan opposed the budget deal, which he said violates part of a January agreement among Republicans stating that the House wouldn't trade away sequestration for anything except entitlement reforms. But Jordan says their dispute over this deal doesn't change his opinion of Ryan.

"I respected the guy before. I respect him now," Jordan said. "I think he's been a good leader in our conference, and a great budget chairman. I just disagree with his vote here."

Rep. Mick Mulvaney, another Ryan ally who opposed the budget deal, emphasized that Ryan's willingness to strike a compromise "does not undermine his conservative credibility or bona fides."

Offline MBB1984

Re: Paul Ryan Takes a Step Toward House Speakership
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 08:51:04 pm »
Ryan will certainly win a popularity contest for the left wing of the Republican party.  However, he is anathema to its right wing and base.

The only way Ryan wins Speakership if the GOP becomes Obamalite.

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Paul Ryan Takes a Step Toward House Speakership
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:50:13 pm »

The only way Ryan wins Speakership if the GOP becomes Obamalite.

It seems they have.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776