Author Topic: Taxpayers Have Spent $14K for Each Obamacare Enrollee So Far  (Read 805 times)

Offline flowers

Taxpayers Have Spent $14K for Each Obamacare Enrollee So Far
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:57:00 pm »
http://cnsnews.com/node/743136

(CNSNews.com) - The fiscal conservatives at Americans for Tax Reform have crunched the Obamacare numbers released by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, and here's the bottom line.

American taxpayers have paid $14,196 for each Obamacare enrollee so far.

In her testimony to Congress Wednesday, Sebelius said taxpayers have spent $677 million on the flawed healthcare.gov website through the end of October.*

On top of that, the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has spent $4.5 billion to promote Obamacare at the state level.

Sebelius told Congress that 364,682 people had "selected a plan" as of Nov. 30 -- although they won't get insurance until they pay the bill from the insurance company, assuming the insurance company gets their information from HHS.**

That means the taxpayer cost per "enrollee" is over $14,000.

Taxpayers, write this on the blackboard:

$4.5 billion + $677 million = $5,177,000,000 ÷ 364,682 = $14,196

People shopping for insurance on the exchanges must sign up by Dec. 23 if they want their coverage to begin on Jan. 1.

And that's another looming problem:

Sebelius testified that at least 1.9 million people "have made it through the application process or have been determined eligible for Medicaid, but have not yet selected a plan or made a decision. "And we expect that as more folks talk things over with their families and learn about their new options, more will enroll, sne said.

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Taxpayers Have Spent $14K for Each Obamacare Enrollee So Far
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:25:39 pm »
I know I shouldn't but this story just makes me shake my head and laugh. The incompetence of government never ceases to both amuse and amaze me. And yet there are people out there who want to give it more and more power, more and more money, more and more control over everything.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Taxpayers Have Spent $14K for Each Obamacare Enrollee So Far
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:13 pm »
I know I shouldn't but this story just makes me shake my head and laugh. The incompetence of government never ceases to both amuse and amaze me. And yet there are people out there who want to give it more and more power, more and more money, more and more control over everything.

not just "out there"
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776