Author Topic: 'You can't shoot for the moon every time': Paul Ryan  (Read 1156 times)

Offline flowers

'You can't shoot for the moon every time': Paul Ryan
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:53:15 pm »
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101267406

The elusive "grand fiscal bargain" will not be reached while "this president" is in office, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan told CNBC on Thursday.

That's why this week's small bipartisan budget deal is the best approach to chip away at the nation's spending and debt problems, he insisted in a "Squawk Box" interview.

"You can't shoot for the moon every time," Ryan declared—when describing the framework he helped craft with his Senate Budget Committee counterpart, Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash.

"Senator Murray and I decided to focus on common ground," the Wisconsin Republican said. "If I can't get a mile, I'll take a step."

"We knew ... that if we required that the other person [to] violate their core principles, we'll get nowhere," he continued. "That's why all these grand bargain talks go nowhere."

Despite tea party rancor, the bipartisan agreement is expected to be approved by the GOP-controlled House as soon as Thursday. "We have the majority of our majority" on board," said Ryan, who was Mitt Romney's vice presidential running mate in the 2012 election. "We're in good shape in the House."

(Read more: US budget deal headed to vote, passage predicted)

The deal unveiled Tuesday includes $63 billion in sequester spending cut relief, in exchange for $85 billion in savings elsewhere. In an op-ed for the National Review Wednesday, Ryan described the bottom line of the budget agreement:

"This bill will reduce the deficit by an additional $23 billion,  Despite tea party rancor, the bipartisan agreement is expected to be approved by the GOP-controlled House as soon as Thursday. "We have the majority of our majority" on board," said Ryan, who was Mitt Romney's vice presidential running mate in the 2012 election. "We're in good shape in the House."

(Read more: US budget deal headed to vote, passage predicted)

The deal unveiled Tuesday includes $63 billion in sequester spending cut relief, in exchange for $85 billion in savings elsewhere. In an op-ed for the National Review Wednesday, Ryan described the bottom line of the budget agreement:

"This bill will reduce the deficit by an additional $23 billion, without raising taxes. And most important, it will cut spending in a smarter way."

"This is a constitutional step in the right direction, reclaiming the power of the purse. It prevents shutdowns, which we think are bad distractions ... and inject uncertainty in the economy," Ryan said—though he insisted it's not a substitute for the Republican desire to make deep spending cuts and overhaul entitlements. . And most important, it will cut spending in a smarter way."

"This is a constitutional step in the right direction, reclaiming the power of the purse. It prevents shutdowns, which we think are bad distractions ... and inject uncertainty in the economy," Ryan said—though he insisted it's not a substitute for the Republican desire to make deep spending cuts and overhaul entitlements.

:#@$%:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:54:06 pm by flowers »

Online mountaineer

Re: 'You can't shoot for the moon every time': Paul Ryan
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:57:18 pm »
Who wants the moon? We just want congressional Republics to do the right thing every once in a while, which seems to be hopeless.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:09:21 pm »
"You can't shoot for the moon every time," Ryan declared...

You'll never hit it unless you do...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:13:20 pm »
What do you expect from someone who can't even beat Biden in a debate?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:16:56 pm »
What do you expect from someone who can't even beat Biden in a debate?

Paul Ryan has forgotten more about economics than you will ever know.................
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »
Paul Ryan has forgotten more about economics than you will ever know.................

1) you have no clue about this posters background so that is a superfluous statement and 2) you can't prove it by this budget or Ryans votes for things like TARP (oh, wait you APPROVED of TARP)....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:29:20 pm »
You'll never hit it unless you do...

Absolutely right!

“You miss 100% of the shots you never take.”

Wayne Gretzky

And here is one I like even more:

“Until one is committed, there is a hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always,  ineffectiveness, concerning all acts of initiative (and creation). There is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in ones favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no one could have dreamed would have come their way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe     

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:39:32 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 09:37:08 pm »
1) you have no clue about this posters background so that is a superfluous statement and 2) you can't prove it by this budget or Ryans votes for things like TARP (oh, wait you APPROVED of TARP)....

I'm pretty confident I'm correct on 1) and you're flailing if you have to go all the way back to TARP to find something to dislike about Ryan.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:25:01 pm »
I'm pretty confident I'm correct on 1) and you're flailing if you have to go all the way back to TARP to find something to dislike about Ryan.

I actually looked at his voting record after Romney picked him for VP........ not a conservative record, rather it is a go along to get along voting record.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:10 pm »
I actually looked at his voting record after Romney picked him for VP........ not a conservative record, rather it is a go along to get along voting record.

So he didn't vote to repeal Obamacare or for his own budget or for the defense authorization bill? 

He likely voted with the rest of the Republicans, except when it came to defaulting on the debt.

You have a different definition of conservative than most other conservatives. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 11:10:35 pm »
So he didn't vote to repeal Obamacare or for his own budget or for the defense authorization bill? 

He likely voted with the rest of the Republicans, except when it came to defaulting on the debt.

You have a different definition of conservative than most other conservatives.

He has a 58% conservative rating based on his actual voting record.  Since you block cinc you probably didn't see his post showing everyone's ratings...

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Freedom Index: A Congressional Scorecard Based on the U.S. Constitution rates congressmen based on their adherence to constitutional principles of limited government, fiscal responsibility, national sovereignty, and a traditional foreign policy of avoiding foreign entanglements. The percentages below are cumulative scores are based on key votes from 1999 through 2013. Click on a senator's or representative's name to get a detailed breakdown of his or her voting record.

and can be found here: http://www.thenewamerican.com/freedomindex/

(AL) Dist.5: Mo Brooks - 80%                               (NC) Dist.8: Richard Hudson - 80%
(AZ) Sen. Jeff Flake - 82%                                           Dist.11: Mark Meadows - 80%
       Dist.6: David Schweikert - 82%                      (OH) Dist.4: Jim Jordan - 80%
(CA) Dist.4: Tom McClintock - 92%                        (OK) Sen. Thomas Coburn - 82%
(FL) Sen. Marco Rubio - 80%                                        Dist.1: Jim Bridenstine - 100%
       Dist.3: Ted Yoho - 90%                                         Dist.2: Markwayne Mullin - 80%
       Dist.6: Ron DeSantis - 90%                            (SC) Sen. Tim Scott - 80%
       Dist.8: Bill Posey - 86%                                         Dist.3: Jeff Duncan - 86%
       Dist.15: Dennis Ross - 80%                                    Dist.4: Trey Gowdy - 80%
(GA) Dist.9: Doug Collins - 80%                             (TN) Dist.2: John Duncan - 81%
        Dist.10: Paul Broun - 90%                                     Dist.4: Scott DesJarlais - 80%
        Dist.14: Tom Graves - 81%                            (TX) Sen. Ted Cruz - 90%
(ID) Sen. James Risch - 84%                                         Dist.25: Roger Williams - 80%
       Dist.1: Raul Labrador - 87%                                    Dist.36: Steve Stockman - 100%  WOOT!
(IN) Dist.3: Marlin Stutzman - 82%                         (UT) Sen. Mike Lee - 90%
(KS) Dist.1: Tim Huelskamp - 85%                          (WI) Sen. Ron Johnson - 86%
(KY) Sen. Rand Paul - 93%                                     (WY) Sen. John Barrasso - 80%
       Dist.4: Thomas Massie - 100%                        Dist.: Cynthia Lummis - 82%
(LA) Dist.4: John Fleming - 82%
(MD) Dist.1: Andy Harris - 80%
(MI) Dist.3: Justin Amash - 93%
       Dist.11: Kerry Bentivolio - 80%
(MN) Dist.6: Michele Bachmann - 80%     

Some other notables: Sen. John McCain - 64%, Sen. Mark Pryor - 21%, Dist.23: Debbie Wasserman Schultz - 14%,
Sen. Saxby Chambliss - 58%, Dist.8: Tammy Duckworth - 0%, Sen. Pat Roberts - 61%, Sen. Mitch McConnell - 61%, Sen. Mary Landrieu - 20%, Sen. Susan Collins - 40%, Sen. Elizabeth Warren - 0% (both MA senators have a zero), Dist.6: Fred Upton - 48%, Sen. Al Franken - 8%, Sen. Thad Cochran - 53%, Dist.1: Paul Ryan - 58%, Sen. Orrin Hatch - 59%, Sen. John Cornyn - 68%, Dist.1: Louie Gohmert - 74% (there were quite a few 70s but I had to cut it off somewhere), Sen. Lamar Alexander - 53%, Sen. Lindsey Graham - 63%, Dist.8: John Boehner - 54%, Sen. Kay Hagan - 14%, Dist.2: Peter King - 45%, Sen. Kelly Ayotte - 70%, & Sen. Harry Reid - 17%.

As I said this is the opinion of one site but at least the JBS, agree with them or not, rank these people on their actual voting record.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:19:57 pm »
So the Tea Party is now using the John Birch Society's definition of conservative as its benchmark?

LOL!!!!

The same JBS that asserts that flouridation of water is a communist conspiracy? 

I notice Louie Gohmert only got a 74%.  What did he do?  Come out in support of Israel or something?

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 02:31:56 am »

Dude, I have a Masters in Finance and have taken many graduate level courses in economics.  Ryan failed miserably here and if you are too dimwitted to comprehend that fact, your more appropriate place is Democrat Underground.

Why are you on this site anyway?  The only thing you do on this site is troll.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 02:51:04 am »
Dude, I have a Masters in Finance and have taken many graduate level courses in economics.  Ryan failed miserably here and if you are too dimwitted to comprehend that fact, your more appropriate place is Democrat Underground.

And if you're too dimwitted to realize that politics is the art of the POSSIBLE and not getting every damned thing you want, maybe you ought to talk about Finance and not about politics.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 02:59:01 am »

I hate to say this but I wonder the same thing...sink why do you go out of your way to insult conservatives here....you do have one distinction though..from what I can tell you hold the record for being on so many members ignore list.....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 03:02:52 am »
I hate to say this but I wonder the same thing...sink why do you go out of your way to insult conservatives here....you do have one distinction though..from what I can tell you hold the record for being on so many members ignore list.....

The last time I replied to you you booted me off the site for three days, so I'll just let this go.