Author Topic: Boehner: Conservative Groups 'Have Lost all Credibility'  (Read 2705 times)

Offline sinkspur

Boehner: Conservative Groups 'Have Lost all Credibility'
« on: December 12, 2013, 05:39:47 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

Boehner: Conservative Groups ‘Have Lost All Credibility’

By  Andrew Stiles
December 12, 2013 11:52 AM

Conservative outside groups “have lost all credibility,” House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) said during a press conference Thursday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4B9Cp5D3GQ&feature=player_embedded

Presumably speaking about groups such as Heritage Action, FreedomWorks, and the Club for Growth, Boehner accused them of “misleading their followers” and “pushing members into places they don’t want to be,” specifically the government shutdown fight. He also criticized their preemptive criticism of the budget deal negotiated by Paul Ryan and Patty Murray.

“When groups come out and criticize an agreement that they’ve never seen you begin to wonder just how credible those actions are,” Boehner told reporters. “Frankly, I think they’ve lost all credibility.” He went on to praise the deal, arguing that conservative who favor deficit reduction should support it. “I’m as conservative as anybody around this place,” he said.

Asked if he though these groups should “stand down,” Boehner replied: “I don’t care what they do.”
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Boehner: Conservative Groups 'Have Lost all Credibility'
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 05:55:17 pm »
“I’m as conservative as anybody around this place,” he (Boehner) said.

...and that's the problem, right there.

Stupidity, fear and arrogance all in one package.

It's one thing to argue (as does Paul Ryan, to his credit) that the latest budget deal is the best outcome Republicans can hope to achieve under present circumstances. I may disagree with elements of the argument, but at least it's an honest one.   

It's entirely different to give the back of your hand to the people and organizations whose voluntary efforts will be required for political victory next year. It makes no sense... unless the GOP leadership group has a plan to dump its own base and adopt another - as I've been theorizing for at least two years now.

For the moment at least, it would appear that Democrats have no enemies to the Left, and Republicans no friends to the Right.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 06:02:01 pm »
It's about time mainstream conservatives in Congress and elsewhere expose the Gestapo-like tactics of Senate Conservative Fund and FreedomWorks. 

They are in the business of raising money and they know they can't raise money if their adherents aren't pissed to the gills. So, what better way to squeeze some cash out of them than by disagreeing with EVERYTHING Republicans do? 

Ideological purity won't work in a body  2/3 of which are controlled by Democrats, but that doesn't matter. 

The government shutdown proved the futility of their strategies.  Even Mike Lee and Ted Cruz aren't bellowing about defunding Obamacare anymore; they know it won't work.

Ryan  got the best deal he could, yet Hoskins and Kibbe and their ilk condemned it before even reading it.

I notice, tellingly, that the Tea Party hasn't raced to the support of Steve Stockman against John Cornyn.  If they want to retain any semblance of respect, they won't.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:02:56 pm by sinkspur »

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:03:30 pm »
 :#@$%:

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 06:05:31 pm »
Knock off the Nazi comparisons of conservatives.  That is something I will not tolerate.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:07:14 pm »
Knock off the Nazi comparisons of conservatives.  That is something I will not tolerate.

OK. 

Mafiosi-style tactics works just as well.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 06:08:28 pm »
Knock off the slander and name calling.  I am not going to warn you again.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:10:26 pm »
You and yours who follow you in your insulated world, DC party circuit  are the ones who have lost all credibility. All you and yours want to do is retain your power, not help this country out of trouble it finds itself in because of your weakness and selfishness to just stay in office.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 06:13:09 pm »
Knock off the slander and name calling.  I am not going to warn you again.

Are you threatening me as a moderator?  I'm not calling anybody here names.  I'm referring to these Conservative PACS, which are fair game, according to the last set of rules I saw.  If John Cornyn can be called a criminal by a member of this forum, an amorphous organization like SCF surely can be criticized.

If there has been a change in posting rules, please notify all members. 

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 06:14:21 pm »
It's about time mainstream conservatives in Congress and elsewhere expose the Gestapo-like tactics of Senate Conservative Fund and FreedomWorks. 

They are in the business of raising money and they know they can't raise money if their adherents aren't pissed to the gills. So, what better way to squeeze some cash out of them than by disagreeing with EVERYTHING Republicans do? 

Oh, so conservative groups are Nazis now??

Get a grip, Sink. You oppose everything that conservatives do and never, ever seem to criticize the Progressives who dominate both parties' leadership groups. The reason that groups like FreedomWorks exist is because of the continuing abandonment of conservatism by the GOP elite.

Heritage, SCF and organizations like them are raising money to do the work that Boehner, McConnell and their ilk refuse to do - opposing the growth and expansion of the Federal government and putting pressure on them to represent the ideals that they only claim to support, and also: to represent the conservative base voters that the Party Bosses now shun with increasing fervor.

One Progressive party is enough. We don't need two. Otherwise, we're Europe, and we're done.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 06:27:42 pm »
Heritage, SCF and organizations like them are raising money to do the work that Boehner, McConnell and their ilk refuse to do - opposing the growth and expansion of the Federal government and putting pressure on them to represent the ideals that they only claim to support, and also: to represent the conservative base voters that the Party Bosses now shun with increasing fervor.

Yep! We were around as conservatives long before Heritage, Freedomworks, and SCF came along. We created them, not vice versa.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 06:31:11 pm »
This "Speaker" needs to be taken out with yesterday's trash.  Absolutely disgusting.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 06:34:28 pm »
It's entirely different to give the back of your hand to the people and organizations whose voluntary efforts will be required for political victory next year. It makes no sense...

It makes sense if...

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 07:03:47 pm »
Conservative Groups     Congress ‘Have Has Lost All Credibility’

With an approval rating of less than 10% on a good day, it's obvious this congress no longer has any legitimacy and should shut down and go home or be perp walked out

Offline happyg

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 07:10:11 pm »
Conservative Groups     Congress ‘Have Has Lost All Credibility’

With an approval rating of less than 10% on a good day, it's obvious this congress no longer has any legitimacy and should shut down and go home or be perp walked out

Good post, xfreeper. And, the GOP wants us to back them instead of real conservatives? We'd be foolish to vote for more of the same, even though a few prefer we do so.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 07:14:54 pm »
Conservative Groups John Boehner 'Have Has Lost all Credibility'
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 07:15:54 pm »
Good post, xfreeper. And, the GOP wants us to back them instead of real conservatives? We'd be foolish to vote for more of the same, even though a few prefer we do so.

While I agree with electing 'real' conservatives, it won't make any difference.  'Real' conservatives, if elected, would be turned with an "Offer they can't refuse".

Look at Paul Ryan.  Conservative 'darling' for a while, now no different than Boehner.

There are only so many places at the table, and none of them have our names on them...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 07:23:02 pm »
Oh, so conservative groups are Nazis now??

Get a grip, Sink. You oppose everything that conservatives do and never, ever seem to criticize the Progressives who dominate both parties' leadership groups. The reason that groups like FreedomWorks exist is because of the continuing abandonment of conservatism by the GOP elite.

One Progressive party is enough. We don't need two. Otherwise, we're Europe, and we're done.

I don't oppose conservatives.  I AM conservative.  I'm just not as rigid and uncompromising on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE as some here are and as most Tea Partiers are.

Heritage, SCF and FreedomWorks are first and foremost money-making machines.    They have nothing to sell by compromising on ANYTHING, so they don't.   And now, instead of actually going after Democrats, they've trained their sights on fellow Republicans as the enemy and are hell-bent on RAISING MONEY (some of which they skim off for their own salaries, perks, benefits, etc.) to keep the pot churned.

SCF no doubt thinks Cruz going to Mandela's funeral was a dastardly thing to do, and they're RAISING MONEY off that.

Everybody's got to eat, so let's not kid ourselves what these organizations are about.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:48 pm »
A conservative would not back McConnell, McCain, Graham, Alexander and spend every breathing moment trashing Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 07:52:25 pm »
A conservative would not back McConnell, McCain, Graham, Alexander and spend every breathing moment trashing Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin.

I haven't backed McCain in a very long time.  I really don't care one way or another about Lindsey Graham.  I like McConnell, yes, and Lamar is fine.  I suspect you'll find  out come primary time that you're wrong about who conservatives will back.

I trashed Ted Cruz for his tactics in shutting down the government.  Have you noticed?  He learned his lesson; he's not trying that stunt again.  I'm proud of him for that.

Palin's hardly worth commenting on anymore so I don't.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 07:54:50 pm »
I haven't backed McCain in a very long time.  I really don't care one way or another about Lindsey Graham.  I like McConnell, yes, and Lamar is fine.  I suspect you'll find  out come primary time that you're wrong about who conservatives will back.

I trashed Ted Cruz for his tactics in shutting down the government.  Have you noticed?  He learned his lesson; he's not trying that stunt again.  I'm proud of him for that.

Palin's hardly worth commenting on anymore so I don't.

You trashed Cruz since the day he announced for the Senate..  you wanted the non conservative Dewhurst... you also trashed Rand Paul mercifully the entire race in My.. preferring instead the McConnell hand picked candidate... you never back the conservatives, ever
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 08:04:01 pm »

You trashed Cruz since the day he announced for the Senate..  you wanted the non conservative Dewhurst... you also trashed Rand Paul mercifully the entire race in My.. preferring instead the McConnell hand picked candidate... you never back the conservatives, ever

I see the problem here.  You have a much more rigid definition of conservative than I do.  David Dewhurst is conservative, regardless of what you say. 

I thought Rand Paul shot himself in the foot with his ill-thought out remarks on the Civil Rights Act when he was running for Senate.  But, he's been more careful since then and I've grown to like him.  I don't even know who was running against Paul, so to say I supported that candidate is simply wrong.

And I do back conservatives.  Always. 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »
While I agree with electing 'real' conservatives, it won't make any difference.  'Real' conservatives, if elected, would be turned with an "Offer they can't refuse".

Look at Paul Ryan.  Conservative 'darling' for a while, now no different than Boehner.

There are only so many places at the table, and none of them have our names on them...

Spot On, Gourmet Dan!  But it is a truth that many evade by throwing in with the "if only we can elect enough Republicans, then things will get better" line of thought.  The abject evil and corruption that has consumed DC makes it extremely difficult for any man or woman that arrives to maintain their integrity and continue to actually represent those that sent them.  We still have a handful spread throughout the two chambers, but their tiny number makes them almost completely ineffective at this point in the game.  But I do give them credit for standing firm and speaking out.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 08:50:10 pm »
Spot On, Gourmet Dan!  But it is a truth that many evade by throwing in with the "if only we can elect enough Republicans, then things will get better" line of thought.  The abject evil and corruption that has consumed DC makes it extremely difficult for any man or woman that arrives to maintain their integrity and continue to actually represent those that sent them.  We still have a handful spread throughout the two chambers, but their tiny number makes them almost completely ineffective at this point in the game.  But I do give them credit for standing firm and speaking out.

I don't think it is just D.C.

It appears to be increasing world-wide.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »
I don't oppose conservatives moderates.  I AM conservative moderate.  I'm just not as rigid and uncompromising on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE as some here are and as most Tea Partiers are.

Better?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org