Author Topic: 10 Shots of Tequila and 17 Below Zero Temperatures Make for a Horrendous Combination for College Coed  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/11/10-shots-of-tequila-and-17-below-zero-temperatures-make-for-a-horrendous-combination-for-college-coed/

10 Shots of Tequila and 17 Below Zero Temperatures Make for a Horrendous Combination for College Coed
Dec. 11, 2013 4:51pm Jason Howerton

A college student in Duluth, Minn., may lose one or more of her hands and feet after spending a night unconscious on the porch of the house next-door to hers. Temperatures dropped to 17 below zero and wind chills reached 36 below overnight.

Miraculously though, she will survive.

Alyssa Jo Lommel, a student at the University of Minnesota Duluth, was found passed out by an unidentified individual on Saturday morning at an address near the university campus, according to police. She was wearing UGG boots, jeans, a sweater and a medium-weight jacket.

“Lommel was flown to Regions Hospital in St. Paul, where she was in critical condition on Tuesday,” the Star Tribune reports. “Lommel’s parents, Jay and Teri Lommel of St. Cloud, told the St. Cloud Times their daughter suffered significant damage to her hands and feet and could lose one or more of them.”
College Student Survives 17 Below Temperatures After Night of Drinking, Duluth

Though details are still sketchy, police say Lommel, 19, had been out drinking with friends Friday night. She had a drink after work and later traveled to a friends house and played a drinking game called “ride the bus.” Lommel reportedly lost several rounds, resulting in several shots of liquor.

In a Twitter update on Friday, the student wrote, “tequila shots tonight.” It has since been deleted. Police also say they found a tweet that said, “Yum Yum 10th shot of tequila,” according to the Grand Forks Herald.

Sometime around 11 p.m., Lommel made plans to go home while the group went to another party, the report states. She got a ride home with friends and was dropped off in front of her house. Her friends claim she was buzzed but not intoxicated.

More form the Tribune:

A woman riding down the street with her boyfriend about 9:30 a.m. Saturday happened to spot Lommel. She called police, telling them she’d found an unconscious young woman outside on a porch.

Authorities arrived to find Lommel lying on her right side, “extremely cold and hypothermic,” the police report said. The house was empty, its occupants out of town.

As authorities looked for blankets to cover Lommel while awaiting an ambulance, police found her wallet and keys and noticed tracks from her boots in the snow around the house. The tracks wound to a garage, around a parked car and a deck in back. Some tracks were “up near the house as if to use the house as a crutch to hold onto. They then had impressions as if the person was falling down, getting back up and crawled around the southwest corner facing Woodland Avenue,” the police report said.

The biggest question yet to be answered is why Lommel wound up on the porch next-door as opposed to her own house. Some will certainly speculate that she was just too drunk, however, she was also reportedly on medication and it’s not certain what caused her to pass out.

College Student Survives 17 Below Temperatures After Night of Drinking, Duluth

Also surprising is the fact that two of Lommel’s roommates arrived home later that night but didn’t notice anything was wrong.

Her parents, Jay and Teri Lommel, said they are “grateful for all the thoughts and prayers for our daughter” and asked for privacy “so that we may focus on her healing.”

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

One in a long line of cautionary tales, if only young people would pay attention.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

That's a real shame.

Online mountaineer

They might want to add, "And don't drink to the point of unconsciousness."
UMD statement on Alyssa Jo Lommel
Lisa Ann Erwin and Mike Seymour, vice chancellors at the University of Minnesota Duluth, issued the following statement to the UMD community Tuesday regarding Alyssa Jo Lommel
By: News Tribune staff, Duluth News Tribune

Lisa Ann Erwin and Mike Seymour, vice chancellors at the University of Minnesota Duluth, issued the following statement to the UMD community Tuesday regarding Alyssa Jo Lommel:

“Many members of our campus community have seen recent news stories about one of our students. Alyssa Jo Lommel, a sophomore majoring in psychology and sociology, has been hospitalized after sustaining injuries this past weekend. Our hearts are with Alyssa and her family in these difficult times.

“Alyssa’s friends have been deeply affected by this tragedy, and we encourage students to reach out to UMD Health Services for counseling and support.

“The UMD Police Department urges caution in the extreme cold. Travel in groups. Let people know where and when you will be traveling, and check in.

“UMD Health Services warns that exposure to extremely cold weather without proper clothing or apparel can result in significant bodily injury including frostbite, hypothermia and even death in a very short period of time. Protect yourself, first and foremost, by limiting time spent in such dangerous conditions. If you do need to be outside, dress in layers, wear warm winter boots and cover the hands, ears and face with mittens, a hat and scarf or face mask since these areas of the body are most vulnerable to cold-induced injury.

“Please help us with heightening awareness for winter safety and for looking out for ourselves and one another.”

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Pretty girl, who clearly had absolutely no common sense.

Why do people think that drinking to the point of becoming ill or even unconscious is fun?

Fun to me is not feeling like I got run over by a freight train.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

Why do people think that drinking to the point of becoming ill or even unconscious is fun?

I don't think it's so much that they feel it's fun to drink to the point of becoming ill, but more that they really don't have much experience with alcohol when they get to college, where there are few if any practical limits on their ability to drink, and so they tend to treat drinking alcohol like drinking soda - the effects stop increasing as soon as you stop drinking - and they therefore overdrink and hit a point they never intended to reach.  It's a little like eating too fast:  if you eat slowly enough, your body will signal you that it's full long before you overeat; however, if you wolf everything down as fast as possible, you will find yourself feeling like you're about to explode from too much food before your body has the chance to tell you it's full and that you should stop eating.

Offline musiclady

I don't think it's so much that they feel it's fun to drink to the point of becoming ill, but more that they really don't have much experience with alcohol when they get to college, where there are few if any practical limits on their ability to drink, and so they tend to treat drinking alcohol like drinking soda - the effects stop increasing as soon as you stop drinking - and they therefore overdrink and hit a point they never intended to reach.  It's a little like eating too fast:  if you eat slowly enough, your body will signal you that it's full long before you overeat; however, if you wolf everything down as fast as possible, you will find yourself feeling like you're about to explode from too much food before your body has the chance to tell you it's full and that you should stop eating.

I disagree. High school drinking, and even younger than that, is rampant.  Kids in college have had a lot of experience with alcohol.....if not drinking themselves, of having friends who do (and it doesn't matter what school you go to).

Getting wasted on the weekends begins very early.

I think the problem is that they are so desperate to 'fit in' that they do what others are doing, and drink excessively.  I don't think it's unintentional.

Desperate and sad, yes, but not done out of ignorance about what alcohol does to them.

And this story makes me want to weep.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

One in a long line of cautionary tales, if only young people would pay attention.

Amen.

The damage alcohol does is well known.  The kids know it, but their lives are not as important to them as being one of the "in" crowd.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I think the problem is that they are so desperate to 'fit in' that they do what others are doing, and drink excessively.  I don't think it's unintentional.
There is a lot of truth to this.

I, for one, did not have any real pressure to drink in college. However, I was very much an introvert and did not have much of a social life, something that continued after college.

As I alluded to in other threads, I attended a particular church for about five years. It is a dry church, and I noticed by the time I left that all but two of the adults between 21 and 60 were married or engaged before they got there. A few of them admitted to meeting in bars.

The pastor's stepdaughter and I were the lone exceptions. Like me, she was a teetotaller. We had quite a few other things in common so I asked her out once— only to be told she plans on being a spinster the rest of her life. Cold. (Later I found out she supports Obamacare.)

I can't begin to express my dismay as to how pervasive alcohol has become in American society. It is almost as if one cannot livea complete life or find a partner without drinking!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

There is a lot of truth to this.

I, for one, did not have any real pressure to drink in college. However, I was very much an introvert and did not have much of a social life, something that continued after college.

As I alluded to in other threads, I attended a particular church for about five years. It is a dry church, and I noticed by the time I left that all but two of the adults between 21 and 60 were married or engaged before they got there. A few of them admitted to meeting in bars.

The pastor's stepdaughter and I were the lone exceptions. Like me, she was a teetotaller. We had quite a few other things in common so I asked her out once— only to be told she plans on being a spinster the rest of her life. Cold. (Later I found out she supports Obamacare.)

I can't begin to express my dismay as to how pervasive alcohol has become in American society. It is almost as if one cannot livea complete life or find a partner without drinking!

I've noticed the same thing.  It's not just that everyone drinks, it's that our whole society is obsessed with alcohol.  Not only drinking it, but talking about it, and implying that life, as you said, is not complete without it.

I've known a whole lot of tee-totallers in my life (including most of my family and friends), and I can say categorically, that life is just fine without drinking.   In fact, I think for some, drinking replaces genuine fun........wit, charm, fellowship, humor.

Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone, but definitely to some.  And unfortunately, it applies to the vast majority of college kids.

And some are paying with their lives for it.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

We're on the same page on this one.  Common Sense is anything but common....in fact it really should be called un-common sense because it is so rare.  I have always had a low tolerance for alcohol...it makes me puke and I have never enjoyed it the very few times I got really hammered. 

What taught me my lesson was a Navy bachelor party where someone brought 2 cases of quarts of Mogen-David "Mad Dog" 20/20.  Me and Jimmy Durham stood there talking and sipping and before either of us realized it we had each killed a quart.  We both spent the whole next day at work in Lakehurst taking turns puking our guts out.  I swear I saw my shoes come flying out at one point...

That hard little lesson has always stuck with me.....

Offline NavyCanDo

Quarts of Mogen-David "Mad Dog" 20/20 did me in as well.   A Junior in High school, double dating with my 14 year-old brother and his girlfriend in the back seat.    As I was dropping my date off, I got sick all over the front seat and then passed out. I don't remember anything else. My little brother had to drive us home.   How we didn’t get in an accident that night or pulled over by the Police, I will never know. My brother had only a little less of the Mad Dog than I did. 
Today I can't touch red wine. Just the smell of it brings back that queasy feeling. And in the 38 years since, I have never drank enough alcohol to get drunk again.  2 or 3 beers at the very most, or a cocktail, and that’s where I draw the line.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline raml

I just think she was a teenager and she had the common sense of one and most don't have any at that age. In high school I was popular was a cheerleader and went to a lot of parties but back then we didn't have alcohol at our parties or at least not the ones I went to. I  never liked the taste of beer but during the summer before I went off to college I and a friend and 2 boys that were just older friends went off to a cabin on a lake and took rum with us my friend and I wanted to  know what it would be like to get drunk before we went off to Michigan state and we wanted to be feel safe so the guys were very good friends not boyfriends. I will never forget that night boy was I sick the guys were watching off all things the miss America contest. I never wanted to feel like that again but I did once more on beer that I hate at a frat party. After that I rarely if ever even drank one drink and even now rarely if ever have a drink but at 19 I stupidly made myself very sick twice.

Offline GourmetDan

We live out in the county and had a guy stop his truck in the intersection near the house the other night at 3 am and pass-out in the sub-zero temps.

Hated to call the cops on him, but thought it was better than having him freeze to death overnight and I wasn't bringing him in my house...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

When police found Bradley McCue, a student from Michigan State University, they saw
that he was unconscious, his nose was painted red, and the words "24 shots" were scribbled across his forehead.

An autopsy revealed that McCue had a blood alcohol level of .44 percent. Witnesses said that he drank 24 shots of liquor in less than two hours. He died of acute alcohol intoxication — also known as alcohol poisoning.

More :

http://www.hazelden.org/web/public/ade90201.page

... and alcohol is the "socially acceptable" toxicant.

Online mountaineer

When police found Bradley McCue, a student from Michigan State University, they saw
that he was unconscious, his nose was painted red, and the words "24 shots" were scribbled across his forehead.

An autopsy revealed that McCue had a blood alcohol level of .44 percent. Witnesses said that he drank 24 shots of liquor in less than two hours. He died of acute alcohol intoxication — also known as alcohol poisoning.
This happens a lot more frequently than college administrators would like to admit.

Offline Rapunzel

I have never been a drinker.. not in high school or college and even when surrounded by people at parties who drank it never appealed to me... a glass of wine here and there, but I have never understood why anyone wants to do anything that takes away their ability to think straight and lose control....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I have never been a drinker.. not in high school or college and even when surrounded by people at parties who drank it never appealed to me... a glass of wine here and there, but I have never understood why anyone wants to do anything that takes away their ability to think straight and lose control....

I've drank enough to sink the Queen Mary (code of the West in the circles I once traveled) but quit after realizing that I was actually PAYING MONEY to feel like H#LL afterwards! That and the fact that it was taking me a week to get over what I once got over in a few hours.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:35:23 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SouthTexas

That's why I live where it's warm!  and also why I quit drinking two dozen years ago.

Ah, but to be 10' tall and bullet proof.....

Offline SouthTexas

Actually had a liberal convince me that common sense is not really common sense, it is learned behavior.

Stemmed from one of my rants that it should be common sense that to keep a job, you actually needed to get your @ss up in the morning and come to work.  She responded that if your parents and grandparents never did that, how would you know to do it?  Thus learned behavior not common sense.  I think it applies to most things we tag as "common sense".

Offline Cincinnatus

I've drank enough to sink the Queen Mary...

And I drank enough to refloat her, but I did such stupid things and felt so lousy the next day. Then I met a young lady named Mary Jane whose company I much came to prefer over booze.

However, that was in the days of my misspent youth. Now I don't do either though I must admit every now and then I enjoy a wee bit of cognac. Too bad that stuff is so damn expensive.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
And I drank enough to refloat her, but I did such stupid things and felt so lousy the next day. Then I met a young lady named Mary Jane whose company I much came to prefer over booze.

However, that was in the days of my misspent youth. Now I don't do either though I must admit every now and then I enjoy a wee bit of cognac. Too bad that stuff is so damn expensive.

A small taste of a good single malt  Scotch very occasionally for me but I haven't even had one of those in probably a year.  That stuff ain't cheap either!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

A small taste of a good single malt  Scotch very occasionally for me but I haven't even had one of those in probably a year.  That stuff ain't cheap either!

Reminds me of a funny (true) story. My husband drank like you describe the first years of our life together.  I learned why he quit cold turkey after he died actually - but that is another story..... anyway, he used to drink scotch.  Long after he stopped drinking I was president of our homeowners association in Irvine and I the board hired a Japanese gardening firm.  The husband did the work, Yoko ran the business.  Well, my husband spent two years in Japan when he was in the Navy and he spoke very good Japanese.  He used to see her on the grounds and would talk to her - always in Japanese.   Well, every month Yoko would show up at my door with the monthly statement and a box of Chavez Regal for my husband.  He would tell her - Yoko I don't drink and every month she brought him a box of scotch.  To this day - 30 years later I still have boxes of scotch up in the cupboard.  We had friends who liked scotch and when we had company George always give them the good stuff - but even they could not wipe out our scotch supply... 

BTW when he stopped drinking one of his comments was how much he enjoyed waking up feeling good in the morning...  he was never even tempted to drink once he stopped. Smoking was more difficult, but he gave it up for me on my 40th birthday and grew to dislike the smell as much as I do.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Reminds me of a funny (true) story. My husband drank like you describe the first years of our life together.  I learned why he quit cold turkey after he died actually - but that is another story..... anyway, he used to drink scotch.  Long after he stopped drinking I was president of our homeowners association in Irvine and I the board hired a Japanese gardening firm.  The husband did the work, Yoko ran the business.  Well, my husband spent two years in Japan when he was in the Navy and he spoke very good Japanese.  He used to see her on the grounds and would talk to her - always in Japanese.   Well, every month Yoko would show up at my door with the monthly statement and a box of Chavez Regal for my husband.  He would tell her - Yoko I don't drink and every month she brought him a box of scotch.  To this day - 30 years later I still have boxes of scotch up in the cupboard.  We had friends who liked scotch and when we had company George always give them the good stuff - but even they could not wipe out our scotch supply... 

BTW when he stopped drinking one of his comments was how much he enjoyed waking up feeling good in the morning...  he was never even tempted to drink once he stopped. Smoking was more difficult, but he gave it up for me on my 40th birthday and grew to dislike the smell as much as I do.

Sounds very familiar. I'm sure I would have liked George a great deal!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

Sounds very familiar. I'm sure I would have liked George a great deal!

I know you would have...

I think one of the things that helped was he became so involved in Quarter Scale modeling that he preferred to spend his money (aka allowance) on airplane parts and needed his wits about him to do the detail work he put into the planes. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:49:24 pm by Rapunzel »