Kathleen Sebelius Concedes More May Lose Healthcare
by Tony Lee 11 Dec 2013, 11:10 AM PDT
On Wednesday, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius conceded that when the one-year exemption for businesses with more than 50 employees expires next year, even more Americans may lose health insurance plans which they were promised they could keep.
Rep. Joe Pitts (R-PA), the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health, asked Sebelius if some "small group plans" could be canceled, as individual plans have been, because "they do not comply with the ACA."
"Yes, sir," Sebelius replied.
Last month, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, paraphrasing the late Irving Kristol, said Americans will get "mugged by reality" when the employer mandate goes into effect. She referenced an article in which healthcare experts estimated that as many as "80 million with employer health care plans could have coverage canceled" next year.
In a now infamous 2009 speech to the American Medical Association, President Barack Obama said, "If you like your healthcare plan, you'll be able to keep your healthcare plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what."
Obama has since apologized for lying to the American people and has attempted to allow insurance companies to give Americans a one-year reprieve on cancellations.