Author Topic: David Simon: 'There are now two Americas. My country is a horror show'  (Read 2059 times)

Oceander

Re: David Simon: 'There are now two Americas. My country is a horror show'
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 01:31:53 am »
Crony capitalism and corporatocracy are two terms often used by "conservatives" in their internet blogs complaining about our country today.

Many of them might not realize those terms arose mainly on the left, to criticize capitalism as it operates in America.

A third term in Oligarchy. If one isn't yet rich when they reach government elected or appointed office, they can almost be assured of being rich as a result of their time in office.

Sit on a committee, and executives of industries you "regulate" and have "oversight" with will hire you for 6 figures the day you leave office.

Dick Cheney is a prime example, one of ours. He became rich by working for Halliburton, solely for his government contacts and influence.

If the GOP fails to win the Senate majority in 2014, Obama care will be so firmly entrenched as to make it extremely difficult to dial it back, or shut it down.

One reason Pelosi said they needed to pass it in order to find out what it said: It was largely written by the insurance industry.

Crony capitalism and corporatism should be criticisms that conservatives apply to the government because regardless of the political views of the cronies involved, crony capitalism is antithetical to the principles of individual freedom and equality (i.e., the freedom to, which is not the sort of "freedom" that liberals/the left prefer, which would be "freedom from" - just another name for the gilded cage).

Case in point is your reference to the fact that the insurance industry played a large part in writing Obastardcare, in large measure to their own benefit - or at least the short-term benefit of the current crop of high-level officers at the large insurance companies.

Conservatives should be as suspicious of large business as the left supposedly is (I would note though that, as with Obastardcare, the left gets awful chummy with certain big businesses once it achieves political power).  One of the biggest threats to the liberty and autonomy of the private individual is the capture of the government by vested interests and the use of the government's power for the benefit of those vested interests and at the expense of the rest of us.  The real difference between left - assuming arguendo that they really do dislike big business - and conservatives is that the left hates all forms of private enterprise, no matter how much, or how little, any particular enterprise suckles on the government teat; conservatives do not, and should not.

Another perfect example of so-called "regulatory capture" in which large business interests "capture" the government for their own private interests is the Dodd-Frank monstrosity.  That law, under the guise of imposing harsh new limitations on financial businesses, more or less puts the thumb firmly on the side of the large banks and financial institutions - the ones that played the bigger role in the 2008 financial mess - and against the smaller regional and local banks and financial institutions - the ones that played a much smaller role in the 2008 financial mess.  That end is accomplished by imposing hefty new costs to comply with the new regulations that the large institutions can more easily pass on to their customers then can the smaller institutions simply because of the larger market power those large institutions command.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 02:35:33 am »
I guess it is like our anger at the referee when it turns out he was bribed by the other team.  We expect the teams to try anything...but we expect the referee to be morally above the attempt.  When the referees sink to the point of soliciting the bribes, then the entire game is over.

I agree.  I fully expect the capitalist to try to buy favors.  That is what capitalists do.

Oceander

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 02:42:48 am »
I agree.  I fully expect the capitalist to try to buy favors.  That is what capitalists do.

That is not necessarily what capitalists do; however, it is something that a capitalist might do, and therefore the government must be structured to minimize the risks that any capitalist will be able to buy a substantial favor that works hardship on a significant number of other people.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 02:55:17 am »
That is not necessarily what capitalists do; however, it is something that a capitalist might do, and therefore the government must be structured to minimize the risks that any capitalist will be able to buy a substantial favor that works hardship on a significant number of other people.

Absolutely.  It's the whole point of having a constitution that guarantees property rights and limits government powers.  Or at least used to do those things.

Oceander

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 03:01:22 am »
Absolutely.  It's the whole point of having a constitution that guarantees property rights and limits government powers.  Or at least used to do those things.

Yup.  It's also the whole point of having a Constitution that splits the power of the State amongst various competing government organs - legislative, executive, and judicial in our case - and puts some limits on the ability of any one branch to act without the agreement of at least one of the other branches.  The so-called checks and balances.  Unfortunately, we've been assiduously undoing that structure for the last 200+ years, and dealt it a body-blow when we amended the Constitution to require that Senators be popularly elected rather than leaving it to the various state legislatures to determine how their Senators would be chosen.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:34 pm »
The last few posts on this thread have really gotten to the nub of this and I agree with what has been said all around.

A friend of mine said this:

"Capitalism has to be based on the rule of law, hard work, and wealth creation, not who you know in Washington D.C. or how many politicians you can bribe to get the upper hand."

Denton Florian

Which pretty well sums up what has been said here I think.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:09:17 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien