Author Topic: Black fashion student says Hasidic men attacked him, shouted anti-gay slurs in Williamsburg  (Read 2517 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/black-student-hasidic-men-attacked-williamsburg-article-1.1542946

A black fashion student says he was brutally attacked by a gang of Hasidic men who shouted anti-gay slurs at him while he was walking through Williamsburg after a night of partying, the Daily News has learned.

Taj Patterson, 22, was headed home to Fort Greene around 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 1 when he says more than a dozen ultra-Orthodox Jewish men began assaulting him on Flushing Ave. and yelling, “Stay down, f----t!”

Offline happyg

Why am I doubting this story?  :shrug:

Offline happyg

Taj Patterson, 22, was headed home to Fort Greene around 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 1 when he says more than a dozen ultra-Orthodox Jewish men began assaulting him on Flushing Ave. and yelling, “Stay down, f----t!”

“I’m walking down some block by myself and then the next thing I know, I’m surrounded by a group of Hasidic Jewish men and they’re attacking me,” Patterson said. “I was alone. I was an easy target. I’m black. I’m gay, a whole slew of reasons.”

The New York City College of Technology student left for a fun night out with friends, and returned with a broken eye socket, a torn retina, blood clotting, and cuts and bruises to his knee and ankles.

He was rushed to Woodhull Hospital and is expected to undergo surgery to reattach his retina.

The NYPD confirmed Monday night that the hate crimes unit is investigating the assault.

Patterson was “highly intoxicated, uncooperative and incoherent,” after the assault, according to a police complaint — but he remembers the ringleader.

“There was a crowd around him, cheering him on and getting him rowdy, and he would grab me and push me against the wall,” Patterson said.

'I was alone. I was an easy target. I’m black. I’m gay, a whole slew of reasons.'

While the instigator was kicking him in the face, “he told me to ‘stay down, f----t, stay the f--- down,’ ” Patterson recalled. “And that’s really all I can remember of that.”

Evelyn Keys, an MTA bus driver, was rounding the corner of Flushing Ave. and Spencer St. when she saw the horrific attack unfold before her eyes.

“I get out of the bus and all these men were standing up straight around him,” says Keys. “Taj is laying down on his back. I went up to him and he was in so much pain. He says, ‘I can’t see . . . I can’t breathe.’ ”

Patterson’s mother, Zahra Patterson, 52, said she now fears for her son’s safety.

“I mean, we’ve been living in this community for close to 30 years, so you’re telling me my son can’t walk there anymore?” she said. “You cannot attack people walking down the street.”

With Mark Morales

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/black-student-hasidic-men-attacked-williamsburg-article-1.1542946#ixzz2n7Laz1cu

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Somehow I doubt it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline olde north church

No, I read about this new gang, "The Leather Matzohs".
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

No, I read about this new gang, "The Leather Matzohs".

Really?

Offline happyg

He looks like he got drunk and fell down.

Online mountaineer

Patterson was “highly intoxicated, uncooperative and incoherent,” after the assault, according to a police complaint
Uh huh.
'I was alone. I was an easy target. I’m black. I’m gay, a whole slew of reasons.'
How would they have known that?  Did he lie on the ground screaming, "I'm gay! I'm gay!"?

He certainly was alone and black - and extremely drunk - but all his other "reasons" would not have been apparent to the supposed assailants.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

I have no idea if this guy's tale is true or not, but apparently it's not unheard of for groups of hasidim in Brooklyn to harass people.  According to this story: http://www.brobible.com/life/article/biker-brooklyn-bullied-hasidic-jews

a cyclist riding in Brooklyn was harassed by a hasidim driving a minivan and, eventually, by a group of hasidim for what appears to be no good reason.  The cyclist was lucky enough to have a camera going on the front of his cycle and caught the entire thing on tape.  The video is a bit long and the group doesn't show up until about 4.50 in the video.  Another person eventually comes over and helps the cyclist escape; from the fact that this other person had to get pushy with, and got pushed back by, the hasidic gang strongly suggests that these groups of hasidim are not polite religious types but little roving gangs of aggressive, sometimes thuggish, men.

The article cites to a website called Heeb Magazine - which is an online magazine by and for young jews (and was founded in Brooklyn) - which calls hasidic gangs like this as the "Shomrim" which it describes as "the Orthodox religious police."  The wiki article describes them as a sort of hasidic neighborhood watch.  (there is also a formal group composed of jewish NYPD members, which is different from the volunteer groups).

The Brooklyn Shomrim have been involved in a number of aggressive attacks on non-jews.  For example, according to this article (which is about the acquittal of a non-jewish man accused of trying to kill 4 shomrim members - he was acquitted on the ground of self-defense) - http://www.yourjewishnews.com/2013/11/jv1690.html - a group of shomrim surrounded a non-jewish man's car and began attacking it.  This earlier article - http://www.yourjewishnews.com/2013/12/n30420.html - provides more detail about the shomrim attack, which appears to have been quite violent and involved racial/ethnic slurs:
A member of the ultra-Orthodox Jewish vigilante group called Shomrim Patrol, is accused of yelling “Kill him, he’s a f**king Muslim,” at a Christian man, according to a report in the New York Post.  "I hope you die, you son of a b***h,'' one of the Shomrim Patrol men told David Flores, 37, before he began shooting his gun in self defense.

A mob of about 20 Hasidic men quickly surrounded his car, began to beat the windows and kicking the doors, while one Shomrim member brandished a black gun, Flores said.

The Shomrim members claimed that he had been masturbating in his car.  "They said: 'Get him out of the car, he's a f**king Muslim,'" Flores said. "They had a look that was full rage.

There are other stories as well.  Not a lot of them, but then again, there's no way of knowing how many of these stories go unreported, particularly since the Shomrim have apparently engaged in covering up some crimes committed by hasidim against non-jews because of a prohibition known as mesirah which prohibits "tattling" on such jews.

Taking all of this together, I would have to say that this guy's story could very well be true.  I don't know if it is or not, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.
They wanted my blood,” he said.

Offline happyg

He looks like he was in a one on one fight. If 15 or 20 guys did it, he would look a lot worse. I bet they came upon the scene and were going to help him. Or, it's possible this was a knockout gone awry. Whatever it was, I can't picture Hasidic Jews doing this.

It's even possible he got thrown out of a car for pulling some crap on the driver or another passenger.

Oceander

Uh huh. How would they have known that?  Did he lie on the ground screaming, "I'm gay! I'm gay!"?

He certainly was alone and black - and extremely drunk - but all his other "reasons" would not have been apparent to the supposed assailants.

They could certainly have assumed - they've done that before (see the story about David Flores that I cite to in my earlier post) - and it might have been apparent based on his clothes and the way he walked, for example.  Just to be clear, the Shomrim (hasidic vigilantes, essentially) assumed that David Flores was muslim and yelled anti-muslim slurs at him while they beat him, even though David is actually Christian, apparently because of something he was wearing.  Ergo, it is reasonable to assume that - just like most other people - these hasidic gangs will frequently draw conclusions about people based on what they can see or hear, and some of those conclusions will turn out to be wrong sometimes.

I, too, thought that this story sounded outlandish, until I went and did a little quick searching, which turned up a lot of info from reliable sources that demonstrates that this story could very well be true.

Oceander

He looks like he was in a one on one fight. If 15 or 20 guys did it, he would look a lot worse. I bet they came upon the scene and were going to help him. Or, it's possible this was a knockout gone awry. Whatever it was, I can't picture Hasidic Jews doing this.

It's even possible he got thrown out of a car for pulling some crap on the driver or another passenger.

No.  Here's what 20 hasidic vigilantes did to a man they pulled out of his car and beat - because they thought he was masturbating (last I checked, that isn't a crime in NYC, period):

It's completely possible that this was done to him by a hasidic posse.

Christians could learn a thing or two from these people.  Those in the rougher neighborhoods around the globe.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Hasidic Jews, really? 4:30 AM on Sunday, December 1st, which would still be Shabbat Mevarchim and not end until Molad- which would be 5:15AM NYC time.

(IE, it was still the Blessing of the First of the Month Sabbath which doesn't end until the following moonrise- an observant Hasidic Jew would not be out fighting (or any physical activity) at this time).

Sources:
Shabbat Mevarchim on November 30th. - http://www.chabad.org/calendar/view/day.asp?tdate=11/30/2013
Molad information (indicating end of Shabbat). http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/216238/jewish/Molad-Times.htm
Local moonrise times for NYC. - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=179&month=12&year=2013&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1

Oceander

Christians could learn a thing or two from these people.  Those in the rougher neighborhoods around the globe.

Indeed; not the least of which would be taking this as an example of what not to do.  Racist violence ill-becomes anyone, jews and christians included.

Indeed; not the least of which would be taking this as an example of what not to do.  Racist violence ill-becomes anyone, jews and christians included.

Retribution is fine, especially exponentially.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
But when does it end? Northern Ireland stayed wound up for decades, mainly as a vicious cycle of retribution.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

But when does it end? Northern Ireland stayed wound up for decades, mainly as a vicious cycle of retribution.

More or less, what truth_seeker said.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I don't believe in collective damnation any more than I believe in collective salvation. Retribution because someone may be a member of a group so vague as being defined by a certain level of melatonin is as bad as the game itself.

(however, per my previous post, I don't buy this attack for a moment).

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Question:
[[ But when does it end? ]]

Answer:
Actually, it "ends" when a nation is established in which is culturally, ethnically, and (horror of horrors!) racially homogenous.

Was not that whole point of "nations" to begin with?

Oceander

Question:
[[ But when does it end? ]]

Answer:
Actually, it "ends" when a nation is established in which is culturally, ethnically, and (horror of horrors!) racially homogenous.

I very seriously doubt that was the whole point of "nations" to begin with.  The facts, and the theories, are a little too messy to support that contention.  The American nation-state known as the United States of America was not homogeneous in any of those senses and it was part and parcel of the republican structure adopted by the Founders, including the concept of dual sovereigns, that the US would maintain to a large degree the heterogeneity that existed at its founding.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:24:40 am by Oceander »

Offline GourmetDan

I see you've stopped drinking your Kool-Aid again...    :chairbang:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:26:30 am by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I very seriously doubt that was the whole point of "nations" to begin with.  The facts, and the theories, are a little too messy to support that contention.  The American nation-state known as the United States of America was not homogeneous in any of those senses and it was part and parcel of the republican structure adopted by the Founders, including the concept of dual sovereigns, that the US would maintain to a large degree the heterogeneity that existed at its founding.
Switzerland with 3 major languages, Belgium and Canada with 2 major languages. Sweden with Swedish speakers, and minority Finnish speakers. Finland with the reverse.

Our own country with debate as to a national language, or not. After English, German was 2nd most commonly used.

A nation needs common causes and benefits, for which to unite and pursue. The US is losing the commonality. The 47% are getting undue attention and priority.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln