Author Topic: Jesus tops list as most significant figure in history; Mohammed at 4th  (Read 582 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/10/jesus-tops-list-most-significant-history/

Jesus Christ tops the list of the top 10 most significant figures in human history, as based on opinions circulated over Wikipedia over a span of months and as figured by a couple of computer scientists.

Next in line, The Daily Mail reported: Napoleon Bonaparte and William Shakespeare. Making an appearance at No. 4 is Mohammed, the prophet of Muslims.

The two computer scientists, Steven Skiena and Charles Ward, used quantitative analysis to sift through and rank more than 1,000 notable and historical figures — including Elvis, Beethoven, Queen Victoria and Stalin, The Daily Mail said.

“We would call Jesus ‘the most significant person ever,” said Mr. Skiena, in Pacific Standard. “With over 2 billion followers a full 2,000 years after his death, Jesus is an incredibly successful historical name.”

Rounding out the list: Abraham Lincoln, at No, 5, and then in order, George Washington, Adolf Hitler, Aristotle, Alexander the Great and Thomas Jefferson.

The scientists say the notable absence of women on the list is due to centuries of inequality and dismissal of female achievements, The Daily Mail said. They also say Hitler’s presence is more of a “lest we forget” listing.

“People can move up or down over time,” Mr. Skiena said, in The Daily Mail. “Our rankings will continue to evolve.”

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Jesus tops list as most significant figure in history; Mohammed at 4th
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:10:42 pm »
Mohammed actually makes sense and if I was picking, he would have been 4 or 5 as, for good or bad, his "religion" has had a profound impact on history.  Jesus impact, whether one believes he was real or not, or whether he is the Son of God or not, cannot be ignored as it represented the most profound changes to society since any history was written or recorded, so #1 is 100% correct.

I don't think Napoleon should be #2.  Shakespeare perhaps 4 or 5.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:11:08 pm by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:13 pm »
Mohammed actually makes sense and if I was picking, he would have been 4 or 5 as, for good or bad, his "religion" has had a profound impact on history.  Jesus impact, whether one believes he was real or not, or whether he is the Son of God or not, cannot be ignored as it represented the most profound changes to society since any history was written or recorded, so #1 is 100% correct.

I don't think Napoleon should be #2.  Shakespeare perhaps 4 or 5.

Beethoven should be #2.    ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:23:52 pm »
A Boxer, makes #4? 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn