Author Topic: NYPD killed womans's parakeet, beat her family, invaded home without warrant  (Read 1131 times)

rangerrebew

Wait until De Blasio gives them jackboots and all the rights of the Gestapo.

NYPD killed woman’s parakeet, beat her family, invaded home without warrant

Posted By Robby Soave On 8:21 AM 12/09/2013 In | No Comments

A Staten Island woman is suing the New York Police Department for allegedly entering her home without a warrant, beating her friends and relatives with clubs and savagely murdering her beloved parakeet.

The incident took place over a year ago, on Labor Day of 2012. A man, Edwin Avellanet, was approached by NYPD as he was taking a bag of garbage outside, according to the New York Daily News. The police wanted to know why there was an orange cone in front of the house. Avellanet said he had put it there to save a parking spot. When the cops asked for his identification, he refused and ran back into the house, which belonged to his mother, Evelyn Lugo.

The situation quickly escalated.

Police pursued him, broke down the door of Lugo’s house and entered without a warrant. The officers then attacked the other people in the house, according to Lugo’s lawsuit. Several members of the family were pepper sprayed and beaten with clubs, causing bruises, welts and other injuries.

But the cruelest and most senseless act of violence was reserved for Lugo’s pet parakeet, Tito. Officers overturned Tito’s cage, knocking the pretty green bird out into the apartment. Lugo’s daughter, Anna Febles, begged the police to be careful with Tito. Instead, they smashed him.

“I screamed, ‘The bird!’” said Febles in a statement. “And he said, ‘F— the bird,’ and he, like, stepped on it.”

Lugo’s children were initially afraid to tell their mother than her bird was dead. They worried she would have a hysterical fit, having loved Tito so much.

“I was hurt on the inside, in my heart,” said Lugo, reacting to the death of her bird and the injuries to her children, grandchildren and friends.

Criminal charges against various members of the family were eventually dropped.

The police department had not yet received Lugo’s suit, but the New York Daily News claimed that Lugo is seeking unspecified damages. The police engaged in unlawful search and seizure, excessive force and malicious prosecution, according to the suit.

Follow Robby on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/09/nypd-killed-womans-parakeet-beat-her-family-invaded-home-without-warrant/

Offline flowers

Used to be a day when police would help you, heck we thought of them as friends. That day is comming to a end fast.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Used to be a day when police would help you, heck we thought of them as friends. That day is comming to a end fast.

Yep. As a kid, if you were lost or frightened or hurt - find a policeman.

I blame Clint Eastwood. Not him personally, but the fact he's a superb actor. Dirty Harry spawned it's own genre and Lethal Weapon made it cool to be the loose cannon that ignores the rules but gets results. Hill Street Blues included a few of those characters, though most of the cops were still law abiding and friendly with the public.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

NEVER call the cops unless you absolutely have to. Most forces are populated with shoe-sized IQ'd, torqued-up hot dogs who pull their weapons first and ask questions later.

Especially be careful if you have a dog.  NEVER allow a dog to be in the presence of one of these hot-heads.

The police are NOT your friends.......
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Cincinnatus

Just great, guys. You find the police guilty based on the report of a woman directly involved in the incident.

I certainly hope I never have any of you on my jury.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline flowers

Just great, guys. You find the police guilty based on the report of a woman directly involved in the incident.

Nope not just hers.............the bird left a note. :whistle:

Offline flowers

Nope not just hers.............the bird left a note. :whistle:
Sorry I thought that was funny.  BUT not just her.......many reports of cops lately going overboard is how I got to my thoughts on this.

Offline Cincinnatus

BUT not just her.......many reports of cops lately going overboard is how I got to my thoughts on this.

Yes, Flowers, that is true. But how often do you hear the results of any investigation of sensationalist reports that appear on the net or in your friendly Liberal newspaper? But even without considering that consider that every post on here prior to mine was critical of the police based on what source?

Really?

And I thought this was funny: Nope not just hers.............the bird left a note
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline flowers

BUT not just her.......many reports of cops lately going overboard is how I got to my thoughts on this.

Yes, Flowers, that is true. But how often do you hear the results of any investigation of sensationalist reports that appear on the net or in your friendly Liberal newspaper? But even without considering that consider that every post on here prior to mine was critical of the police based on what source?

Really?

And I thought this was funny: Nope not just hers.............the bird left a note

I am just going with my gut feelings. I don't read Liberal newspapers , didn't even know there was a friendly one out there :whistle:. Just going with the ones I read about the cops shooting the family dog. It just seems at late these events are occuring more often. 

Oceander

This is the caliber of the NYPD:

Some snippets from the various stories:
Most kids get a timeout or a spanking for bad behavior, but a 7-year-old Bronx boy, Wilson Reyes, was arrested and handcuffed to a police precinct wall for hours on a robbery rap, police sources said.  Frances Mendez, the mother of the pint-sized “perp,” is threatening to sue the NYPD for $250 million — saying cops treated her son like a hardened criminal after he allegedly punched a 9-year-old boy in the face and took $5 from him, her lawyer and a police source said Tuesday.

Police arrested the child in his third-grade classroom at Public School 114 on Cromwell Ave., detained him at the school for four hours and then kept him in custody at the 44th Precinct for six hours after the December incident, the woman’s lawyer said in a statement Monday. He couldn’t be reached for further comment Tuesday.

“If (this) 7-year-old and his mother lived on 64th and Park and he attended a $35,000-a-year private school, do you think (he) would have been arrested, handcuffed to a wall and denied access to his mother and legal counsel for 10 hours?”

But an NYPD spokeswoman said Tuesday the boy was held for just four hours and 40 minutes.  “The attorney is fabricating the amount of time the child was in custody,” Inspector Kim Royster said.  Royster refused to comment further, citing the ages of the kids.

Yankowitz said cops intimidated, verbally abused and interrogated the child and said the boy was humiliated by officers shouting “thief” and threatening to put him away “with the big boys.”

But the first police source insisted that cops followed the rules when they arrested the accused bully.

“Everything was done properly,” the cop source said. “He was arrested for a robbery. He was taken to the precinct and put in the juvenile room. His parent was allowed to see him.”

Babying the boy wasn’t an option, the second police source added.

“He had to be handcuffed — he was a prisoner. If we didn’t handcuff him and he ran out the front door, then we would have had an escaped prisoner on our hands.”

The source said charges could not have been filed against a child 6 and under, but kids 7 to 17 can be charged as juveniles.

source:  http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/boy-cuffed-held-kid-money-article-1.1250928

From the then NYC Public Advocate, now Mayor-Elect De Blasio:
“Seven-year-olds don’t belong in handcuffs.  As a parent, I wouldn’t stand for this in one of my kids’ schools.  Our school system's overreliance on the NYPD as a disciplinary tool traumatizes our young people, sows distrust in our communities and drains vital City resources away from responding to genuine crimes.  This has to stop.”

A sane, rational person does not arrest a seven year-old kid for robbery,handcuff him, hold him for hours - and interrogate him - while not permitting his family to see him (yes, they eventually let them see him, but not after stalling), and a sane, rational person most definitely does not chain said seven year-old to a railing in the precinct house like a dog.

And lest you chime in that, well, after all these were just a few bad apples in a barrel otherwise overflowing with gee-whiz goodie two shoes, let's revisit this quote, from the police spokesperson no less:
“Everything was done properly,”

In other words, this is the way the NYPD expects cops to deal with seven year olds.  This is standard operating behaviour; it's what every cop is trained to do.

I'm sorry, you may find this acceptable or defensible; I find it nauseating; the sort of disgusting, typical, behaviour the NYPD routinely engages in.

There's no need to prejudge the NYPD, they've damned themselves already.  They disgust me.

Offline olde north church

If this were one story, I think most people would be more reasonable about it.  Too many documented events of this.  No more passes.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

If this were one story, I think most people would be more reasonable about it.  Too many documented events of this.  No more passes.

:thumbsup: