Author Topic: WWII vet, 90, en route to Pearl Harbor event booted from flight  (Read 713 times)

Offline happyg

WWII vet, 90, en route to Pearl Harbor event booted from flight
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:11:30 pm »
A World War II veteran, 90, en route from Los Angeles to a Pearl Harbor ceremony in Hawaii, was booted from his flight so the airline could add some more fuel without violating weight limits.

Ewalt “Walt” Shatz, who shot down a Japanese plane during the attack on America in 1941, was supposed to fly direct on United Airlines to Honolulu. But airline attendants said they had to reschedule him and re-booked him on a different flight leaving eight hours later, that also included a layover, Fox News reported.

“I was surprised,” Mr. Shatz said, to Hawaii News Now. “I didn’t know which way to go. Here I am at LAX with all these people, and it’s all new to me. I was just lost, I didn’t know what to do, which is an awful feeling.”

Mr. Shatz, who has macular degeneration, a medical condition affecting the eyes and vision, was traveling alone.

“They just kind of left me stranded,” he said, Fox News reported. “Here I’m 90 years old, and I don’t know. I really didn’t have anybody else I could call.”

He ultimately arrived in time for the ceremony. But his story spread online, and social media posters were outraged, Fox News reported. Those in the area saw his plight, and started a quick rally call to meet him at the ceremony.

“Getting ready to put my khakis on and go greet a WWII vet (Pearl Harbor Survivor). … If you are on island and would like to come greet and honor this hero, come on out,” said Navy Chief Benjamin Scott, on his Facebook page, the Hawaii newspaper reported.

The airline, for its part, said in a statement reported by Fox News: “Inclement weather in the path of United flight 1226 required the flight to carry additional fuel and, as a result, reduce the number of passengers on board by 41.”

By Cheryl K. Chumley
Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/9/wwii-vet-en-route-pearl-harbor-event-booted-flight/#ixzz2mzUQk7dM
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: WWII vet, 90, en route to Pearl Harbor event booted from flight
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »
Nice going United.  Idiots.

There are many reasons I will never fly United unless there is no other option.  This is just one more.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline LambChop

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »
Nice going United.  Idiots.

There are many reasons I will never fly United unless there is no other option.  This is just one more.

Hmmm.  Remember the days when airlines were courteous and caring?  They actually gave a hoot?  Yeah, that didn't last long did it.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:28:33 pm »
Every time I fly is a new exercise in frustration and inconvenience, and it looks like I'm not alone in that experience.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:04:19 am »
[[ Every time I fly is a new exercise in frustration and inconvenience, and it looks like I'm not alone in that experience. ]]

There's a solution:
Don't fly.

I haven't big on a big jet since 1984.

I have no intention of boarding one again.

TSA can't make me!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 02:20:00 am »
Except for Pearl Harbor for the WWII vets, what's the big cheese about Hawaii?  Melanesians?  Waves?  Poi?
I say blockade the bastards until they starve and break the longshoremen's unions and then force them to eat their own droppings.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:21:13 am by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 02:24:41 am »
Except for Pearl Harbor for the WWII vets, what's the big cheese about Hawaii?  Melanesians?  Waves?  Poi?
I say blockade the bastards until they starve and break the longshoremen's unions and then force them to eat their own droppings.

I love Hawaii.. as a matter of fact I got married in Hawaii (Fern Grotto).......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 02:47:11 am »
I love Hawaii.. as a matter of fact I got married in Hawaii (Fern Grotto).......

My stepson retired as a detective for the sheriff's office, and moved to Hawaii. He's only 46 years old. He golfs and gives lie detector tests for extra money. He has been going there for the past 20 years, and decided to live there. He loves it.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:47:04 am »
I stand by my statement.  Book'em, Dan O!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.