Author Topic: Hagel orders US support in Central African Republic mission  (Read 698 times)

Offline flowers

Hagel orders US support in Central African Republic mission
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:13:49 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/09/pentagon-weighs-sending-us-support-to-central-african-republic-amid-violence/

DEVELOPING ...

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered the U.S. military to transport Burundian troops to Central African Republic, amid sectarian violence in that country.

ORIGINAL STORY ...

The Pentagon is considering requests to send U.S. military support to Central African Republic, a senior U.S. official said, as the country is racked by sectarian fighting which recently prompted France to deploy troops to its former colony.

The development comes amid warnings that the historically unstable country could be on the verge of genocide.

If the order to assist French and African Union forces currently operating in the country comes down, it would likely come in the form of logistical support.

"We are looking at what can be done to help, but no orders have been issued," the official told Fox News.

The official said any potential operation could be similar to what was done in Mali, with the U.S. sending aerial refueling tankers to help create the "air bridge" needed to resupply French forces.

It could also involve some level of intelligence sharing, and possibly the use of drones.

The International Criminal Court's prosecutor also called Monday for attacks on civilians to stop, Reuters reported. 

The renewed fighting in CAR began after the government of the majority Christian nation was overthrown by Muslim rebels nine months ago. Muslim rebel groups tied to an alliance organization called Seleka are clashing with Christian fighters.

rangerrebew

Re: Hagel orders US support in Central African Republic mission
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:14:58 pm »
It seems to me the US came to the aid of France in Viet Nam also.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:04:04 am »
Can the Secretary of Defense order troops into a new field of battle?  Shouldn't that come from the CIC?  (Serious question)

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 01:13:39 am »
I don't mind this.. From what I have been hearing is that they will only be providing air aid.. I don't mind helping them, it is the Christians going after the Muslim government.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 01:27:58 am »
It seems to me the US came to the aid of France in Viet Nam also.

Yup

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 01:43:56 am »
So instead of killing Muslims, US soldiers will be killing African blacks. 

Quite a transition under Obama, no??