Author Topic: Gingrich answers Mandela critics  (Read 1465 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gingrich answers Mandela critics
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:53:41 pm »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/?hp=44

By TREVOR EISCHEN |
12/8/13 10:12 AM EST

Newt Gingrich on Sunday addressed the backlash over comments he made on Facebook praising former South African President Nelson Mandela.

CNN "State of the Union" host Candy Crowley read some of the Facebook responses criticizing Gingrich's statement.

"Such an amazing rewrite of history since 1962 and 1990. Newt, I thought you, of all people, a historian, would be true to who this guy really was," one said. And another wrote: "This clenched-fist, murdering guerilla warrior does not deserve respect from informed Americans."

Gingrich said he was "very surprised" by reactions. And in response to the uproar, he wrote his Friday newsletter asking his followers what they would have have about Mandela's views and apartheid in South Africa.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) faced similar backlash on comments he made lauding Mandela's life and career. When Crowley asked if the criticism of their comments comes from fellow conservatives, Gingrich said they are people who "bought a rationale that defined everybody who was in anyway in rebellion against the established system in the third world as anti-American."

Crowley also asked Gingrich if former President Ronald Reagan and former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher were on the right side of history in opposing sanctions on South Africa for its apartheid government. And Gingrich said they were.

"In all fairness to Reagan...," Gingrich said. "Reagan's ambassador to South Africa consistently put pressure on the government to modify its position and consistently condemned apartheid. But their commitment was to defeat the Soviet empire."

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Gingrich answers Mandela critics
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »
Those STILL trashing Mandela look pathetic, weak, and petty. 

And galactically ignorant.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:57:51 pm »
Newt has jumped the shark! Again!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:00:04 pm »

YOU know all about galactic ignorance don't you sport!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 05:10:22 pm »
Mandela was no saint, but as a leader he turned out to be far more pragmatic than many thought he would be.  South Africa could easily have turned into Zimbabwe and thanks in large part to Mandela it did not.  Now is not  the time to bash his legacy.

Almost nothing is going to prevent Mandela from becoming a global MLK.  We had better come to grips with that.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 05:25:47 pm »

Just posted this on the other thread, but it seems more appropriate here.   Those of us that are still "trashing", your words not mine, just might have a memory that goes back further than last week.

“In April 1986, Winnie Mandela publicly endorsed “neck lacing,” telling a Soweto mob, “With our necklaces we will liberate this country.” Mrs. Mandela was also implicated in January 1989 in the abduction of three young black men and a boy from a Methodist Church shelter. Mrs. Mandela’s bodyguards, known as the “Mandela United Football Club,” snatched them and took them to Mrs. Mandela’s home where they were beaten, whipped and subjected to other forms of torture. The object was to get them to say that the Methodist minister, who is white, had abused them sexually. Two of them did so but later recanted. A third escaped. The boy, 14-year-old Mokhetsi “Stempie” Seipei, did not give in and was beaten into unconsciousness. On January 7, 1989, his battered body was found in a field with his throat slit. Stempie was famous as an anti-apartheid activist, having been arrested for his activities when he was only 10.”

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 06:17:54 pm »
Just posted this on the other thread, but it seems more appropriate here.   Those of us that are still "trashing", your words not mine, just might have a memory that goes back further than last week.

“In April 1986, Winnie Mandela publicly endorsed “neck lacing,” telling a Soweto mob, “With our necklaces we will liberate this country.” Mrs. Mandela was also implicated in January 1989 in the abduction of three young black men and a boy from a Methodist Church shelter. Mrs. Mandela’s bodyguards, known as the “Mandela United Football Club,” snatched them and took them to Mrs. Mandela’s home where they were beaten, whipped and subjected to other forms of torture. The object was to get them to say that the Methodist minister, who is white, had abused them sexually. Two of them did so but later recanted. A third escaped. The boy, 14-year-old Mokhetsi “Stempie” Seipei, did not give in and was beaten into unconsciousness. On January 7, 1989, his battered body was found in a field with his throat slit. Stempie was famous as an anti-apartheid activist, having been arrested for his activities when he was only 10.”
That is his wife. He was in prison. Oh, and to them it was a war. To them apartheid was the 20th century version of 19th century slavery.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:20:51 pm »
YOU know all about galactic ignorance don't you sport!

Yessir, pops.  Your constant displays of it have deepened my understanding immensely.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 06:23:34 pm »
Yessir, pops.  Your constant displays of it have deepened my understanding immensely.

I think you have that exactly backwards sonny!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 06:25:38 pm »
That is his wife. He was in prison. Oh, and to them it was a war. To them apartheid was the 20th century version of 19th century slavery.

Wow, another one with selective memory.  I bet you and sinkspur have all of Idi Amin Dada's cookbooks too!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 06:26:02 pm »
Mandela was no saint, but as a leader he turned out to be far more pragmatic than many thought he would be.  South Africa could easily have turned into Zimbabwe and thanks in large part to Mandela it did not.  Now is not  the time to bash his legacy.

Almost nothing is going to prevent Mandela from becoming a global MLK.  We had better come to grips with that.

That may well be Victor but it will happen over my strongly expressed objections!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 06:35:52 pm »
Wow, another one with selective memory.  I bet you and sinkspur have all of Idi Amin Dada's cookbooks too!

It's not "selective memory" at all.  Nelson Mandela divorced Winnie soon after he got out of prison and renounced all the necklacing and violence. 

If you allow no room for change in people then you must think St. Paul belongs in hell.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 11:39:13 pm »
It's not "selective memory" at all.  Nelson Mandela divorced Winnie soon after he got out of prison and renounced all the necklacing and violence. 

If you allow no room for change in people then you must think St. Paul belongs in hell.

Such goodness carries on eh?

Mandela's passing and the looming threat of a race war against South Africa's whites. As a widow mourns the latest murdered Afrikaner farmer, a chilling dispatch from a nation holding its breath

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2351339/Mandelas-passing-looming-threat-race-war-South-Africas-whites-widow-mourns-latest-murdered-white-farmer-chilling-dispatch-nation-holding-breath.html

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:17 am »
Such goodness carries on eh?

Mandela's passing and the looming threat of a race war against South Africa's whites. As a widow mourns the latest murdered Afrikaner farmer, a chilling dispatch from a nation holding its breath

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2351339/Mandelas-passing-looming-threat-race-war-South-Africas-whites-widow-mourns-latest-murdered-white-farmer-chilling-dispatch-nation-holding-breath.html

My sister has a friend that lives in Johannesburg, South Africa.  She has been trying to immigrate to the US for years because as a white woman, she fears for her life.  She works in an office building and THREE different times she and her co-workers have been taken hostage by armed black men at her place of work!  One time, her and another woman she works with were lucky enough to escape, but the other times they had to be rescued by police.  She said it is a common occurence and it is normal to see hordes of blacks roaming the streets carrying guns.  She lives in fear of her life every day.   
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 01:51:55 am »
My sister has a friend that lives in Johannesburg, South Africa.  She has been trying to immigrate to the US for years because as a white woman, she fears for her life.  She works in an office building and THREE different times she and her co-workers have been taken hostage by armed black men at her place of work!  One time, her and another woman she works with were lucky enough to escape, but the other times they had to be rescued by police.  She said it is a common occurence and it is normal to see hordes of blacks roaming the streets carrying guns.  She lives in fear of her life every day.   

But just think how much WORSE it would be without Saint Mandela's influence...

:3:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan