Author Topic: Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention  (Read 622 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://wkar.org/post/michigan-legislators-join-national-push-constitutional-convention?utm_referrer=http%3A//m.wkar.org/%3Futm_referrer%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F%23mobile/46305

Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention

State Sen. Mike Green wants to amend the U.S. Constitution to require a balanced federal budget.
Listen   
11:16

On Saturday, state lawmakers from around the country will meet at Mount Vernon to discuss how they can push for a new constitutional convention. Their primary goal is to pass and ratify an amendment to the U.S. Constitution requiring a balanced federal budget.

Current State’s Scott Pohl has a Michigan perspective on the effort to enact a Balanced Budget Amendment.

Senator Mike Green is a Republican who represents the 31st district in Arenac, Bay, Huron, Sanilac and Tuscola counties.

Most Americans are familiar with amending the constitution with passage by two-thirds votes in both houses of congress, followed by ratification by three-fourths of the states. Sen. Green says the Mount Vernon Assembly is being held to discuss the other way the constitution can be amended under Article V. It provides for a way that state legislatures can force Congress to call a constitutional convention.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline xfreeper

Re: Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 12:30:32 pm »
such a pointless convention will only open the door for less frivolous and more dangerous amendment attempts
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:30:58 pm by xfreeper »

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:11:54 am »
such a pointless convention will only open the door for less frivolous and more dangerous amendment attempts

I second that sentiment.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:48 am »
"Sen. Green says the Mount Vernon Assembly is being held to discuss the other way the constitution can be amended under Article V."

There is no constitutional way to amend the Constitution outside the manner specified by the Constitution.

I don't want to harbor the possibility of a Constitutional Convention being held while Obama is in office. Once you go into one of those, you don't know how you'll come out of it, and the XXII Amendment must stand.

The last Constitutional Convention did not go off as intended.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:01:15 am »
I take it none of you have read Levin's book. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:06 pm »
correct. enlighten me