Author Topic: A model steam winch  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
A model steam winch
« on: December 07, 2013, 01:55:40 am »
I've got a model boat under construction out in my shop that dates from the late 1880's.  It is called a Clyde Puffer, and is an example of one of the earliest iron hulled, steam powered vessels in Scotland. 

One of the prominent features of a Puffer is a large steam powered winch that sits on the foredeck of the boat.  It is used to run a rope and pulley system from a mast secured boom to load and unload cargo from the boat.

The plans I have provide bare minimum of detail on how to go about making certain features.  The winch has always been a challenge for me because it simply exceeds my modeling ability and tool inventory to produce.  What to do??

My cousin Marty in Ft. Lauderdale is an avid modeler as well, only he is well beyond what I do.  He makes HO scale steam locomotives from scratch.  He makes models of machine tools that would be found in a locomotive roundhouse.  He is incredibly skilled, so I sent him a note several months ago with a scan of the bare bones line drawing from my plans for the winch.  The piece of the plans was about 3 x 5 and has almost no details.  Marty took that plan, and built me a winch.  He speced out the nylon gears he needed and I ordered those back in September.  He got right on it and has been working on it ever since.

Today the mailman delivered the finished winch, and I am simply stunned.  I had to share this one, so here are the pictures....

Look closely in the background and you can see the original drawing I sent him....

I'm keeping it on the bookcase so I can show it off over the Holidays.  The plan is to enter the boat in the Clark County Fair next summer, and I will enter that winch on behalf of my Cousin and see if we can get him a ribbon too....

:beer:

Oceander

Re: A model steam winch
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:25:57 am »
cool!

Offline flowers

Re: A model steam winch
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »
Thanks for sharing, cool!