Author Topic: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela  (Read 2195 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/05/obama-flags-nelson-mandela_n_4394988.html

resident Barack Obama ordered flags at the White House and other public and military facilities to be flown at half-staff through sunset on December 9 to honor the passing of Nelson Mandela.

The South African icon, who was the country's first black president, passed away Thursday at the age of 95 after a long battle with a lung infection.

"We've lost one of the most influential, courageous and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with," Obama said of Mandela after news of his death broke. "He no longer belongs to us, he belongs to the ages ... His commitment to transfer power and reconcile with those who jailed him set an example that all humanity should aspire to."

Obama continued, "We will not likely see the likes of Nelson Mandela again."

The president signed the proclamation Thursday evening.

Read the full document below:

It this proper protocol to do this for someone from another country?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:37:16 pm »
resident Barack Obama ordered flags at the White House and other public and military facilities to be flown at half-staff through sunset on December 9 to honor the passing of Nelson Mandela.

They were already going to be lowered at half staff on Saturday the 7th for Pearl Harbor day. He is trumping that with Mandela.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »
 :thud:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:44:01 pm »
They were already going to be lowered at half staff on Saturday the 7th for Pearl Harbor day. He is trumping that with Mandela.
I can't remember if other presidents have ordered flags at half staff for any leaders outside of USA? Or people outside of USA? does any body know if it is proper protocol to do this for Mandela?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »
I can't remember if other presidents have ordered flags at half staff for any leaders outside of USA? Or people outside of USA? does any body know if it is proper protocol to do this for Mandela?

No.  We do not lower flags for non-citizens.  It's never been done for Queens, Kings, Popes...if anybody should have been so honored, it would have been Lady Thatcher.

Instead, we have a BLACK president honoring a BLACK non-citizen leader of the Communist-leaning African National Congress.

And he's hauling his bony ass and his wife's to South Africa for the funeral.  Hell, he doesn't even go to the funerals of US Senators, yet he's got to pay homage to one of his homies.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:31:20 pm »
No.  We do not lower flags for non-citizens.  It's never been done for Queens, Kings, Popes...if anybody should have been so honored, it would have been Lady Thatcher.

Instead, we have a BLACK president honoring a BLACK non-citizen leader of the Communist-leaning African National Congress.

And he's hauling his bony ass and his wife's to South Africa for the funeral.  Hell, he doesn't even go to the funerals of US Senators, yet he's got to pay homage to one of his homies.
thanks, that is what I thought. Oh I knew he would have it done. He even gets to trump Mandela over the Pearl Harbor aniversary.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:26:47 pm »

Correction:  The US Air Force is hauling his bony ass to South Africa and we are paying for it.

Otherwise, right in the ten ring....

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:33:23 pm »
He didn't fly them at half staff when Margaret Thatcher passed away........ and he certainly didn't attend her funeral.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:34:00 pm »
Just a reminder:

President Barack Obama decision not to dispatch any high-ranking members of his administration to former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s funeral on Wednesday has peeved critics on both sides of the pond.

The White House tapped ex-Secretaries of State George Shultz and James A. Baker III to lead the American delegation, which also includes Barbara Stephenson, the charge d’affaires at the U.S. Embassy in London, and Louis Susman, former U.S. ambassador to the U.K., according to The Associated Press...

National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden told POLITICO that it was anything but a snub.

“The two Secretaries of State who headed the U.S. delegation are testimony to Baroness Thatcher’s global stature and reputation and reflected the longstanding strength of the transatlantic relationship,” Hayden told POLITICO. “As President Obama and Prime Minister Cameron noted last year, the bond between our countries is unique and essential – we count on each other, and the world counts on our alliance.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/obama-margaret-thatcher-funeral-90210.html
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:35:29 pm »

I can't find any recent history of it lowered for a foreign dignitary. It is at the President's discretion but it is unusual.
http://halfstaff.org/

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »
I can't find any recent history of it lowered for a foreign dignitary. It is at the President's discretion but it is unusual.
thanks.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40:00 pm »
Yeah, he has the power. He just shouldn't exercise it in this instance.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:47:07 pm »

And he'll get away with doing this with nary a peep from his adoring, Marxist comrades in the media.

No questions asked.

Just adoration.     **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 09:17:26 pm »
Well tomorrow is Dec 7th so in my mind it is at half staff to honor those on Pearl Harbor....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 09:20:37 pm »
Well tomorrow is Dec 7th so in my mind it is at half staff to honor those on Pearl Harbor....

Good point, mystery.

We can just pretend Obama cares about America......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »
Well tomorrow is Dec 7th

And thus will become a second time that day will live in infamy.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline raml

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:44 pm »
I really don't understand all this adoration of a communist leader like Nelson Mandela. I am tired of the news making a big deal over him he was nothing but a criminal communist like Obama. Our country has lost it's moral compass and I doubt will ever get it back as long as there are democrats in office.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 10:38:42 pm »
Just one more item on a very long list of impeachable offenses committed by this "president"!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 11:23:29 pm »
U.S. Flags Lowered For Mandela, A Rare Honor For Foreign Leaders

... it's uncommon for the U.S. flag to be lowered in honor of foreign leaders' deaths. Obama issued of mourning earlier this year after the death of Margaret Thatcher, former prime minister of the United Kingdom, but he didn't order the lowering of the American flag. In fact, the last foreign dignitary to be memorialized with the flag was in 2005...
More

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 12:33:25 am »

No sitting President has ever ordered flags flown at half staff for any foreign leader, King, Potentate, or anyone else.  This is unprecedented and totally inappropriate, and completely in keeping with the rest of the Obama Administration.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 01:03:37 am »
[[ Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela ]]

I'd take the flag all the way down, before I'd fly it at half-mast in honor of that communist!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 01:32:37 am »
[[ Obama: Flags To Be Flown At Half-Staff In Honor Of Nelson Mandela ]]

I'd take the flag all the way down, before I'd fly it at half-mast in honor of that communist!

:thumbsup:   :hands:  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien