Author Topic: Congress should say no to Obama's Christmas tree tax  (Read 761 times)

Offline happyg

Congress should say no to Obama's Christmas tree tax
« on: December 06, 2013, 03:20:42 pm »
By MARK TAPSCOTT
Whether people say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays," one thing they shouldn't have to say about the favorite season of kids everywhere is "Christmas tree tax."

But this perennial stinker of an idea from special-interest grinches with connections in the Obama White House is back, this time in the farm bill now before Congress.

The proposal is a 15-cent tax to be paid on every freshly-cut Christmas tree sold in America. President Obama, at the urging of the National Christmas Tree Association, first proposed it in 2011.

Say no, again

The Obama proposal establishes the levy and a Christmas tree promotional board. "Promotional boards" are classic Big Government-Big Business tools used to rob, rule or regulate the many and benefit the few.

As the Heritage Foundation's Amy Payne notes this morning on the think tank's Foundry blog, Obama backed off the last time around and issued a stay. But earlier this year, the House Agriculture Committee lifted the stay.

Now with Congress trying to get a farm bill done, the danger is it will be rushed through at the end of the year without time to debate the Christmas tree tax.

We're from the government ...

As Payne points out, "One way to actually hurt the image of the Christmas tree is to make it a symbol of taxation during the holiday season."

The Christmas tree levy would be only 15 cents now, but there are two certainties about taxes — they almost never are repealed and they always go up.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2540293

rangerrebew

Re: Congress should say no to Obama's Christmas tree tax
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:06:01 pm »
I think a 30 cent tax increase on all Halal food would be appropriate.  Or a dollar on all copies of the Koran.  Finally, a dollar tax on all towels purchased by muslims.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:10:19 pm »
I think a 30 cent tax increase on all Halal food would be appropriate.  Or a dollar on all copies of the Koran.  Finally, a dollar tax on all towels purchased by muslims.

Sounds good to me.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:59:45 pm »
they have been trying to get this the past few years I think

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:26:27 am »
they have been trying to get this the past few years I think

They have and it is just another attack on the symbols of a free, Christian United States. :chairbang:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 02:26:02 pm »
The Obama proposal establishes the levy and a Christmas tree promotional board. "Promotional boards" are classic Big Government-Big Business tools used to rob, rule or regulate the many and benefit the few.
These people are doing something seriously wrong if they believe they need a tax-funded promotional board. Who doesn't already know about Christmas holiday trees?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org