Author Topic: The Minimum Wage and the Rise of the Machines By Jonah Goldberg  (Read 260 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Offline happyg

Re: The Minimum Wage and the Rise of the Machines By Jonah Goldberg
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: The Minimum Wage and the Rise of the Machines By Jonah Goldberg
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »

I actually prefer these checkout stands over the old-fashioned clerk, particularly at the grocery store where more than half of them are slower than molasses in January.  It also makes it easier to bag your own groceries the way you want them and, in particular, to make sure you avoid having some minimum-wage doofus put heavy canned goods on top of the loaf of bread.  The only really annoying thing about these checkouts is when it stops because of some error - almost always caused by some improperly input data (most likely done by a human being) - because the error messages tend to be very opaque and don't give you any choice but to wait for the slow-as-molasses clerk to come over and use their card key to override the checkout.  It's the same thing as pumping your own gas; one of the (many) things that really annoys me about NJ is that it's illegal to pump your own gas, so you have to stand there like an idiot freezing your butt off waiting for the slow-as-molasses clerk to come over, swipe his keycard, and stick the nozzle in your fuel tank.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf